Holdfast Series...

Started by BanzaiCat, March 18, 2018, 09:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

...anyone have thoughts on any of the Holdfast series of games?

Holdfast: Atlantic 1939-45
Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45
Holdfast: North Africa 1941-42
Holdfast: Russia 1941-42

More specifically the first two as the latter two aren't as interesting, at least not to me...but maybe they are great. Russia and Atlantic have high scores on BGG, but NA and Pacific not as high.

Anyone own/play them?

Anyone try them solo?

I know Atlantic and Pacific are supposed to be iterations of the old Victory in the Pacific and Atlantic versions. I can read all kinds of stuff on the BGG links above, but want to know what the grog community thinks/has to say about them.

BanzaiCat

...guess 20 of you that looked at this post don't play it, huh. :P

Barthheart

Atlantic is a remake/re-imaging of AH's War at Sea, while Pacific is the same for Victory in the Pacific.

I haven't played them but from everything I've read they are pretty watered-down version of already simple games....

Russia is supposed to the best one.... it was first. I think they shoe-horned a working idea into areas where it should not have gone.

bayonetbrant

I've heard good things about Russia, and nothing about the others
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

I actually have a copy of North Africa sitting on my 'games to play' stack. I might get to it...eventually... ;D

BanzaiCat

BGG has Russia rated 7.8 which is clearly the highest of all four of them, but I'm not finding a land campaign appealing. I'll probably try Atlantic and Pacific just because I have an affinity for the earlier versions of both games. Thanks for the info, all.

BanzaiCat

The next time I get enough survey money saved (which will probably be in another month or so), I'm thinking of either Atlantic or Pacific.