Me and the October Wargames Association

Started by undercovergeek, December 20, 2017, 05:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Went to my first wargames club meeting. It was their Christmas party so more of a fun night than wargaming. There was a big Western game been played, i assume Wild West, everyone got a figure/character and there was a mock up western town including rail road and saloon and the idea was just to kill everyone else - great fun game with shot locations, reloading and tactics - nothing worse than been shot in the groin from the roof of the sherrifs office

Then a quiz and then the annual awards from their competitive leagues. Some real old timers there too, sat in their own corner and not really mingling - these are the blackpowder wargaming guys, their look of horror as X Wing players started winning awards and a BloodBowl trophy came out

Its shut now for 2 weeks but becomes a normal wargaming meet in January, ill be back - i have committed to a 500 Bolt Action army i better start work on - good times

Below, behold the club - in the foreground determined X-wingers, at the stage 'The Shenley Block Massive' hand in their team quiz name, in the far right corner one of the old timers, and to the right the western themed game

Awards been handed out, the western game becomes home to some sweetie prizes, and yes thats a guy in a hi-viz who rolled in straight from work and started playing

The award been handed to the club captain in the red jumper is for best sniper in a bolt action campaign, and the next award, the big one, been held by the club secretary in the santa suit is a national trophy for the bald guy in blue in the middle of the shot who won the national fields of glory competition.

in January ill try and get a shot of the barmaid, she had to come down here at 7pm and open up the club in the freezing cold so a bunch of men children could play soldiers - she hates us. Shes 90, had a stroke and looks like Igor with lipstick on, yes, theres a bar!

bob48

Great stuff, 'geek - get those figures painted!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

ladywood social club bob - if it was near the old stomping ground

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Looking forward to seeing your painted army.

Crossroads

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 20, 2017, 05:48:11 AM
Some real old timers there too, sat in their own corner and not really mingling - these are the blackpowder wargaming guys, their look of horror as X Wing players started winning awards and a BloodBowl trophy came out

:clap:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Nefaro

Quote from: Crossroads on December 20, 2017, 11:56:05 AM
Some real old timers there too, sat in their own corner and not really mingling - these are the blackpowder wargaming guys, their look of horror as X Wing players started winning awards and a BloodBowl trophy came out

+1

;D

Crossroads

Quote from: Nefaro on December 21, 2017, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on December 20, 2017, 11:56:05 AM

+1

;D

Someone should have gone and given them a BIG HUG and told them it is not the end of the world (although it may well look like one)  :smitten:

Or maybe someone did  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY