Counter clippers

Started by Philippe, October 20, 2017, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on October 20, 2017, 02:08:16 PM
Quote from: trailrunner on October 20, 2017, 01:57:57 PM
I have the Oregon Lamination deluxe 2mm clipper and am very happy with it.  It's $50 on Amazon.

That's what I paid for the 2.5mm. Well worth the cost, imo.

Quote from: bbmike on October 20, 2017, 02:10:21 PM
^+1

^+2

Philippe

The difference between the deluxe and the regular model seems to be about $15+ dollars.

Does that wide metal surface help make things easier when clipping 500+ counters?  I can imagine my hand getting a bit shaky after a few hundred punches.

Apart from that, I'm still not sure if the way to go is 2mm, 2.5mm, or 3mm.  The 5mm radius is probably too rounded.  The larger pike formation counters that I was worrying over are about the size of the airplane counters.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Nefaro

Quote from: Philippe on October 20, 2017, 02:16:05 PM
The difference between the deluxe and the regular model seems to be about $15+ dollars.

Does that wide metal surface help make things easier when clipping 500+ counters?  I can imagine my hand getting a bit shaky after a few hundred punches.

I kept hearing that it does make a difference - the way the "deluxe" model makes it easier to align cardboard counters quickly so you don't actually over-cut them while speeding along.

Apart from that, I'm still not sure if the way to go is 2mm, 2.5mm, or 3mm.  The 5mm radius is probably too rounded.  The larger pike formation counters that I was worrying over are about the size of the airplane counters.

Go with either 2mm or 2.5mm.

I have a 2.5mm.  Works great on all sizes.  I may have preferred the 2mm, but they were out of new ones at the time I was ready to purchase.  Still quite happy; there's not much difference between those two sizes.  Although I have to occasionally spray some lube into the metal guides in the clipper, else it will get squeaky due to the metal-on-metal action.

mirth

I really like the deluxe model. It is very easy to align the counters and make the cuts.

Nef is right about the size. 2.5 is probaly the way to go. Do not go bigger than 3mm.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

James Sterrett

Quote from: Philippe on October 20, 2017, 02:16:05 PM

Does that wide metal surface help make things easier when clipping 500+ counters?

YES.

Get the deluxe.  It's better even at the first counter you clip.

I have the deluxe one at home; somebody decided to change the order at work and got me a regular one there -- so I have direct hands-on experience with both.

It is *really easy* to put counters into the regular one wrong, and shave of a significant part of the side of the counter.  I have not had this problem with the Deluxe.

Get the Deluxe.  You'll regret the regular.

mirth

^this man is a professional ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on October 20, 2017, 07:01:12 PM

And he puts up with no nonsense from his Intel guys.  :buck2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on October 20, 2017, 07:36:13 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 20, 2017, 07:01:12 PM

And he puts up with no nonsense from his Intel guys.  :buck2:

Or actual intel

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on October 20, 2017, 02:51:16 PM
I really like the deluxe model. It is very easy to align the counters and make the cuts.

Nef is right about the size. 2.5 is probaly the way to go. Do not go bigger than 3mm.

Another happy Oregon Deluxe user here. Mine's a 2.0mm one. Go for them, 2.5 is a good one too if you want them corners with a tad larger radius.

Either one, you won't regret  O0

Here's a pic of my PB Hill of Death counters, they come in two sizes, 5/8" and 1/2", both at display here. (objective markers are from one of my magazine games don't recall which one.)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

Crossroads

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

OJsDad

Somewhere in Canada, Barth is curled up in a fetal position.  His wife keeps trying to get him to drink his beer, but he just cannot dislodge his thumb from his mouth, due to the horror that he is reading here. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Crossroads

Quote from: OJsDad on October 21, 2017, 08:54:55 AM
Somewhere in Canada, Barth is curled up in a fetal position.  His wife keeps trying to get him to drink his beer, but he just cannot dislodge his thumb from his mouth, due to the horror that he is reading here.

I am against Unethical treatment of square corners as well.

Under the UN resolution, that translates to i) Leaving them untidy, as in fresh out from counter sheets; and/or; ii) Cutting them with anything but Oregon Lam clippers. 

O:-)

BanzaiCat

I have a 3mm corner cutter that I'm quite happy with. It's the same brand as what all the RIGHT-minded people in this thread have been talking about. :)

I got mine for $27 last year so I must have caught it on sale.

Richie61

Saw this on FB and thought of you guys  ;D

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"