Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 20, 2013, 10:42:56 AM
whilst i stand here before the Dom court i'd like to point out ive never attacked a nation without been attacked first - ever

except for ogaburan - i just couldnt stand the incessant noise anymore  :P

Ummm...... EXCUSE me?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

ScottWAR

I am the Kingdom of Man. We should all know what to expect from Men. Men men men men manly men.

JasonPratt

You are men!
{beat beat}
Men in tights!
{beat beat beat}
But we wear armor and run over people with knights! {beat beat beat}

(Not that this means we're coming to run over you. I'm just talking generally.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

claes

I am enjoying the friendly banter, and have hopes that it doesn't get ugly as I have seen other forums get.  When that happens I tend to move on, because in my opinion the entire point of the game is to have fun - we are playing a fantasy strategy wargame with a multitude of factors playing into each role. 

For instance, there is one gent I know in another game that I play.  Nicest guy in the world.  Then one day he switched allegiances and became following a darker evil path.  This is a text only mmorpg with some of the most amazing intrigue that I have ever witnessed made possible by its dominion (clan) system and knowledge base.  The goal is to rise to power, but once you start following an evil path your god removes you from your dominion and you are forced to play without the benefits of the clan, and this gent pulled the one of the most amazing power grabs I have ever seen, attacking and incapacitating everyone online at the time, kicking some of them out of the game (some of the pvp attacks actually force the attacked characters account into a lock status where they cannot log in for a certain amount of time) to seize uncontested control of the entire game and demand tithes from each and every dominion in the game.  It was beautifully enacted role-play, but if you get into the game you don't see the controllers anymore; you see their characters and take each one as they come.

Granted in a mp strategy pbem game, you might find that a certain player has a style of play that he/she finds effective and they tend to use it a lot.  Nothing wrong with that.  What I always try to do in similar situations is attack the player on his own grounds, by which I mean in the game.  So I try and think - how do I prevent this guy from using this tactic over and over?  Can I send a scout around his part of the map and see which nations surround him and offer a temporary alliance for the sake of removing this pretender from the map?  As long as he is playing by the rules - rules that we are all bound to follow - than it is considered fair play, and so if I think that he is playing dirty I will do what I can to discourage the use of similar tactics in the future.  But not in the forums - we here are the controllers, not the pretenders - and so we can have an enjoyable discussion (with a few light jabs now and then but all in good fun) about the game but... oh well, I guess I am rambling but I just hope that this doesn't turn into a grudgematch.  Because, and I have seen it happen elsewhere, that can displace role-play and lead to unjustified attacks and enmity that bleeds into the posts of the threads that we read.

Let's have fun.  I'm not trying to condescend to tell anyone what to do but rather offering my thoughts on some of the things I have seen in other communities that have soured me toward them.  It's sometimes painfully obvious to a newcomer when a certain person is always trolling another certain person for no reason, and leaving other people alone who do the same thing.  Some of the communities I have seen have become hostile environments, and it detracts from the rp aspects of the game as well as removes a good amount of the pleasure you can get from playing it.  I have seen none of that here to my delight, and I hope that it stays that way.  I am enjoying this game immensely, and am hoping to get more into my role for the next one.    I know which nation it is going to be, but I am not sure what type of qualities each pretenders has.

I still haven't made my way through the entire rule-book though ;)

But sorry for my rambling.  This is my first time playing Dom3 mp, and it is a fascinating, wonderfully complex, beautiful and undeniably pleasurable experience coming home and finding a new turn in my inbox, firing up my pretender and opening the turn while switching into the role of that pretender and his quest for dominion.  You guys are all great.  Keep it up ;)

undercovergeek

Quote from: Ubercat on May 20, 2013, 07:37:49 PM
whilst i stand here before the Dom court i'd like to point out ive never attacked a nation without been attacked first - ever

Ummm...... EXCUSE me?

ah the feeble memory of the giants - long ago as i recall, the humble Machakan inhabitants of Baldurs Gate sat round their fires, telling tales to their children when a vast army of giants and wolves burst thru the forest slaughtering them all, as the chieftan bellowed 'WHY have you done this to us???' a huge Jarl bent down and said 'well, the other 2 nations i came thru were newbs and i didnt want to put them out of the game, anyway im trying a new SC thug strategy and i promised myself that the next nation i met was going to be attacked'

REMEMBER NOW GIANT SCUM????????????????

i say this in the spirit of the game so as not to upset anyone - im a nice person really, and me and ubercat share a butterfly collection IRL

ScottWAR

Ummm...... EXCUSE me?

LOL, your avatar fit that post perfectly.......it actually took a second to register that the your avatar wasn't really part of the post..............

Ubercat

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 21, 2013, 03:35:03 AM

Ummm...... EXCUSE me?

ah the feeble memory of the giants - long ago as i recall, the humble Machakan inhabitants of Baldurs Gate sat round their fires, telling tales to their children when a vast army of giants and wolves burst thru the forest slaughtering them all, as the chieftan bellowed 'WHY have you done this to us???' a huge Jarl bent down and said 'well, the other 2 nations i came thru were newbs and i didnt want to put them out of the game, anyway im trying a new SC thug strategy and i promised myself that the next nation i met was going to be attacked'

REMEMBER NOW GIANT SCUM????????????????

i say this in the spirit of the game so as not to upset anyone - im a nice person really, and me and ubercat share a butterfly collection IRL

I thought you might use that as your justification. As YOU may recall We agreed that I would take that province. It was part of our deal. I guess a technicality can be used to justify your claim.

Anyway, I'm not at all mad. No NAP was broken. (THAT would have annoyed me and destroyed future trust) I just couldn't bite my lip when I read that!  :D

BUT, I am going to have to destroy your Nickerbean Blue in retaliation. I'm sure you can find another - somewhere.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Ogaburan

Quote from: elitesix on May 20, 2013, 06:35:01 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 20, 2013, 02:30:23 PM
Can we all remember that this is a war game?  There's only supposed to be one winner, so by default you're going to stab your allies in the back at some point.  I did it to Yskonyn in one of the other games and he had the grace not to complain about it once.

I'm not going to stab anyone in the back. If I'm the one of the two last nations alive and I plan to win alone, I will end my NAP-3 and give him 3 turns notice :).

Much like anything in life, taking the honorable and rightful route may be a bit harder, but it's by no means impossible.

+1

W8taminute

Quote from: Ogaburan on May 21, 2013, 09:29:39 AM
Can we all remember that this is a war game?  There's only supposed to be one winner, so by default you're going to stab your allies in the back at some point.  I did it to Yskonyn in one of the other games and he had the grace not to complain about it once.

I'm not going to stab anyone in the back. If I'm the one of the two last nations alive and I plan to win alone, I will end my NAP-3 and give him 3 turns notice :).

Much like anything in life, taking the honorable and rightful route may be a bit harder, but it's by no means impossible.

+1

+2

That is my philosophy in life as well as games.  Sometimes it might mean I end up being a loser but my honor will remain so as not to tarnish either my or my family's name.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Since it seems likely that I won't be able to send my turn in this afternoon due to storms arriving in the area (it's the same system that punched a 2-mile wide hole in an Oklahoma City suburb yesterday--not as strong now, fortunately), I've set the timeclock ahead by another 48 hours.

It shouldn't take that long to get the new turn in, though, and I've already set the clock to automatically return to the normal 48 hours.

Hope none of the Grogs were caught in that storm. :(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

byrdman57

Speaking of delays, I'm going to be travelling from early Thursday morning to late Tuesday evening and am not sure I'll have good access to the internet. I'll try to submit turns while I'm gone, but I would like an extension in case I can't.

claes

Quote from: W8taminute on May 21, 2013, 12:24:41 PM
Quote from: Ogaburan on May 21, 2013, 09:29:39 AM

+1

+2

That is my philosophy in life as well as games.  Sometimes it might mean I end up being a loser but my honor will remain so as not to tarnish either my or my family's name.   ;)

Agreed, although part of the fun of role-playing can be playing the rogue-thief or the scoundrel or the chaotic-evil doer.  However, in situations like that, by end games time it would be obvious to not trust the character who has been making obviously evil choices throughout.  I am in full agreement that it would be wrong to play the trusting alliance-mate and then revoke said alliance without notice to secure the victory.  It would be hollow, and taste like ashes in the mouth.

JasonPratt

Quote from: byrdman57 on May 21, 2013, 04:35:36 PM
Speaking of delays, I'm going to be travelling from early Thursday morning to late Tuesday evening and am not sure I'll have good access to the internet. I'll try to submit turns while I'm gone, but I would like an extension in case I can't.

I think the internet may be out at our house from the storm last night. (A wall cloud dropped down over our factory but nothing horrible otherwise.) If so, I won't be able to play my turn this afternoon anyway.

What's your time compared to Greenwich Mean? I'll try to bump it up to that Tues night, and then if it turns out you can play and send turns over the weekend it's no problem either way. :)

byrdman57

I'm on Pacific time, GMT -9. I'll try to submit turns while I'm gone, but I may not be able to do so.