Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrdman57

Sorry that you have to drop out, but I'm jealous of this thing I hear people talk about called 'real life.'

If your nation is still in decent shape we should try to find a sub rather than turning AI.

Huw the Poo

That's a shame Myrmidon.  Thanks for playing; hopefully you can join in another game later on!

undercovergeek

ahhhhh Jasons new nation arrives at last!!!

Sorry to see you go Myrmidon - hope RL turns out ok

Ogaburan

elitesix

If Jason takes Ulm, it would be awkward unless he can completely forgive and forget...given Ulm is my closest neighbor and I did eliminate him....

It was great playing with you Myrmidon!! Its not too late to reconsider!:)

W8taminute

Quote from: Myrmidon on May 06, 2013, 10:19:23 PM
Hey all,

I'm terribly sorry to have to say this, but I've had some RL stuff come up that won't permit me to keep up with this game any further.   I'm bummed because I was having a great time, and off to a good start.

Sorry!

Hope all is well with you and that you sort things out in the real world soon.  Good gaming with you and maybe we'll bump into each other again in some other game sometime.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Quote from: elitesix on May 07, 2013, 03:59:12 AM
If Jason takes Ulm, it would be awkward unless he can completely forgive and forget...given Ulm is my closest neighbor and I did eliminate him....

Ulm has a NAP3 (Non-aggression pact 3turn warning) with Atlantis, and I would honor that. I don't have any grudge against you; you did the strategically proper thing under the circumstances. :)

(My pretender in-character would hold a grudge, but he's dead now, or deader than usual, and anyway isn't in control of Ulm. So no worries there either. Depending on how our factions are building up and what my pretender is, I might even try for a stronger alliance.)

Besides, you're Atlantis. What am I going to do, drown on top of you in my big heavy suits of armor? ;)

Also, my knowledge of the game situation was very limited at the time I was put out, and what little I knew is now probably outdated. So that shouldn't be a problem either.

Also, I WENT TO ALL THE TROUBLE OF SETTING UP THIS GAME DANGIT!!!  ;D So there.

Myrmidon already sent in his turn, so I'll join in next turn.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

hes back

let it be known that my pretender is a long lost cousin of my Neifelheim pretender - thats how I'M roleplaying it - and Ulm just asked for a bit of peace and quiet on my southern border and asked to be friends - i see one twitch out of you down there and youre spider food!!!

JasonPratt

Okay, I've set Ulm's email address to be mine, and Myrm gave me his game password (note: game passwords aren't actually necessary and they only make things dodgier in case you have to pass the game to someone else). So when the server sends the next turns I should pick up Ulm.

Something I discovered (or maybe re-discovered, as I recall someone mentioning this toward the start of the game) is that I don't really have to have players' original email addresses for game delivery, in order to change their delivery addresses. It's still a good idea as an extra way for me to contact out-of-touch players to check up on them, but next time I set up a game I won't require them.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

elitesix

Good to hear :)

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 07, 2013, 07:36:33 AM
Quote from: elitesix on May 07, 2013, 03:59:12 AM

Ulm has a NAP3 (Non-aggression pact 3turn warning) with Atlantis, and I would honor that. I don't have any grudge against you; you did the strategically proper thing under the circumstances. :)

(My pretender in-character would hold a grudge, but he's dead now, or deader than usual, and anyway isn't in control of Ulm. So no worries there either. Depending on how our factions are building up and what my pretender is, I might even try for a stronger alliance.)

Besides, you're Atlantis. What am I going to do, drown on top of you in my big heavy suits of armor? ;)

Also, my knowledge of the game situation was very limited at the time I was put out, and what little I knew is now probably outdated. So that shouldn't be a problem either.

Myrmidon already sent in his turn, so I'll join in next turn.

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 07, 2013, 07:45:31 AM
let it be known that my pretender is a long lost cousin of my Neifelheim pretender - thats how I'M roleplaying it - and Ulm just asked for a bit of peace and quiet on my southern border and asked to be friends - i see one twitch out of you down there and youre spider food!!!

While I would expect armor to be great for squishing spiders, I'm not going to pick fights with anyone unless I think I have to, certainly not before I have (what I think is) a handle on the faction. And certainly not with the faction I described as "damn if that doesn't sound awesome". ;)

U'geek does raise a good point, though; is there anyone besides the Chinese that I'm at war with? Also, I don't know the history of Ulm's conflict with Tien, so I don't know if I should be protecting myself against someone invading my lands or what.

Myrm says that he has a tentative peace with Eriu, and a NAP-3 with Machaka (that's U'geek) as well as the aforementioned Atlantis. I have no intentions of voiding any of those.

(Usually I prefer to keep my diplomatic arrangements obscure from anyone except who I'm allied with, but I figure I'd better verify things to catch up with the game.)

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 07, 2013, 08:35:07 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 07, 2013, 07:45:31 AM

While I would expect armor to be great for squishing spiders, I'm not going to pick fights with anyone unless I think I have to, certainly not before I have (what I think is) a handle on the faction. And certainly not with the faction I described as "damn if that doesn't sound awesome". ;)

U'geek does raise a good point, though; is there anyone besides the Chinese that I'm at war with? Also, I don't know the history of Ulm's conflict with Tien, so I don't know if I should be protecting myself against someone invading my lands or what.

Myrm says that he has a tentative peace with Eriu, and a NAP-3 with Machaka (that's U'geek) as well as the aforementioned Atlantis. I have no intentions of voiding any of those.

(Usually I prefer to keep my diplomatic arrangements obscure from anyone except who I'm allied with, but I figure I'd better verify things to catch up with the game.)

youre all good with me - what with the fat octupus floating around - you can have the coastal regions down there!

byrdman57

That sounds like the understanding i had with Ulm.

claes

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 07, 2013, 07:36:33 AM

And I sincerely hope that you do so again, at a later date.  You are an amazing and unique gm of sorts, and you are very personable.  While I haven't experienced any others in the Dom3 community yet, I have a feeling that you shine among them.  I am very glad to have met you, and all of the players.  This is a nice and helpful community, and I posted in a thrad on Wargamer forum alluding to that, because I have heard some stories of other communities torn apart by distrust and malice and certain gamers desires to win at all costs, even at the expense of his role-play and whether or not anyone else suffers for it.  I am glad both that I have met you and the other gamers that have joined in this game, and I appreciate the leeway and training wheels that you are allowing us newcomers to the game to have, and you very graciously explain things slowly and clearly, all the well knowing that you are making someone who might later use that knowledge against you because they will be in a position to do so and it will become strategically necessary.

Not me.  I am still learning the many layers of this game, and each time I peel one back I see another one beneath.  It is truly amazing, as is this community.  Three cheers to you, Jason, and for the rest of the players.  You are excellent players, and gracious to newcomers, knowing also that this will not make someone potentially stronger than you in game but will strengthen the ties to the community and the entire community will benefit.  Three cheers, I say! 

So I have not been doing much since I discovered where I am.  How do I contact my closest neighbor?  First, identify him, and then use ingame messaging or is it preferred to use forum private messaging or it all just depends.  I wish to seek a possible alliance, because Most of what I have been doing is not very useful in the long run for the win, although I have accomplished the seizure of my surrounding provinces from the indies, I have yet to discover how to plan on which spells I will need and when to use them and so on.  Next time I will be better able to set up my pretender, knowing what I do now, and I will be able to plan better, but I don't mind being muscle or fodder if it gets me the time I need to learn a bit more.  Thanks for everything guys, you are one of a kind,

elitesix

It's better to identify your neighbor and use an out of game messaging system. The ingame one is too delayed to be of any real use.