Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Bison on April 10, 2013, 06:53:37 PM
Honestly I don't really care if I get whooped on in this game.  I just here to learn.  Well unless I get beat by a Brit, then my worldview will have been shattered.

pretender sent Jason

Dunno how many brits we have in game Bison

elitesix

I can go Atlantis. In fact I'd be happy to - never did the whole underwater thing yet :):)

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2013, 06:34:32 PM
Quote from: Ogaburan on April 10, 2013, 05:39:30 PM
Form what i gather this game is still recruiting? And there are only 2 option available, a banned-from-diplo Atlantis and Bandar-Log.
If this is correct, i would like to join the game with Bandar-Log.

I'm not entirely sure we'll go with underwater contra mundum house rules now, but completely new players should avoid playing underwater factions anyway. Not that Bandar-log is easy.

IF ANY OTHER EXPERIENCE PLAYER WOULD RATHER TRADE THEIR FACTION FOR ATLANTIS, FREEING UP ONE MORE LAND NATION, NOW'S THE TIME!

Lunaje

Ok, pretender sent.

As it reads in first page, the game is graphs off? Players will need to communicate a lot (at least in the thread) and do good scouting in order to avoid someone secretly getting huge and running away with the game.
Not a bad thing per se,  but be aware of it.

elitesix

My vote is for graphs to be on. They're the equivalent of the word of the mouth in the ancient world, and they can be terribly misleading (ie, army size). They in no way replace real scouting, but they allow for someone to notice when when someone's pulling away (ie, 2x in every statistic over the next closest nation).

btw, I'll do Atlantis but I already submitted a pretender for Ashdod. I'll try to submit one for Atlantis under the same email and see what happens.

JasonPratt

That's why graphs are off. ;) Forces more creative intelligence gathering.

(Although there's still a bit that can be picked up from the Hall of Fame.)

Oga, do you still want the Bandar Log, or would you rather have Elitesix's Ashdod? I recommend you go with Ash for an easier faction, personally.

Thanks for donating Ashdod to take Atlantis, btw, E6. :) I've cleared Ashdod from the game, so Oga or a final player can have it; but if Oga keeps the apes and no one else joins up, you can just resubmit your Ashdod pretender again if you like, and I'll boot off Atlantis.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CptHowdy

Sorry guys I have to pull out. My computer has crashed. Thanks.

Philippe

Took a look at the Faerun map.  Though it's nice and big, I'm not thrilled with the way the landmasses are set up: way too many islands.  I also don't like the idea of playing on a map that is referential to another game.

I don't know enough about this to have a really strong opinion one way or the other, but the little I saw of the Westeros map seemed nice.  Are we sure we need Faerun now that we're down to 22 players (if I'm counting that correctly)?

Alternatively, is there another map that can accomodate a large number of players without being grounded in another game system?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

byrdman57

The islands really shouldn't be a problem; they all have connections to nearby land provinces. The Westeros map is definitely too small for 22 players (21?).

Phobos

I had a quick look, but most of the maps I can see are in the 100-200 province range.

You can always randomly generate a map and submit that for the game, but there is no guarantee that it will have the range of terrain and chokepoints that the Faerun map has in small doses.  There is also the work that would need to be done on a random map to ensure people have decent start sites (not too close to each other) and all of the province connections are correct.

The only map that comes close to the requirements for this game is the Glory of the Gods map that comes with the game.  That map is around 40% larger than Faerun, weighing in at just over 600 provinces.

There may be maps that I have missed though, so don't let me deter you from looking for other options. 

claes

Pretender sent; I believe I am ready for my first mp game.  Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

Also, I am in the class of 'new players' and will gladly receive offers for strategic alliance.  I am here to learn and if you need a sword arm (or rather its Dom 3 equivalent), let me know.  Thank you ;)

Ogaburan

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2013, 08:17:19 PM

Oga, do you still want the Bandar Log, or would you rather have Elitesix's Ashdod? I recommend you go with Ash for an easier faction, personally.

Yeah, i'll take Ashdod!
Even been to the real city of Ashdod a couple of times... lol.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Philippe on April 10, 2013, 10:00:14 PM
Took a look at the Faerun map.  Though it's nice and big, I'm not thrilled with the way the landmasses are set up: way too many islands.  I also don't like the idea of playing on a map that is referential to another game.

As noted, the islands have plenty of neighbors via ports; this was intentionally designed into the map. In fact, some of the major coastal cities have "trade routes" to areas far from their actual location! Players should definitely turn on the "neighbors" map filter when playing this game.

Also, Westeros itself is totally grounded in "another game", namely GRRMartin's A Song Of Fire And Ice (aka "Game of Thrones" on television); which incidentally was converted recently into no less than two computer games, plus several board games, RPGs, card games, etc.

Are you sure you still want to play it?! ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Bison

If my test game is any indication of my abilities, well, the ice angel kingdom dudes are F#$%#@!  :D   OK.  I feel reasonably content that my limited knowledge is ready to produced a limitedly talented pretender to be cannon fodder for some expanding nation.

JasonPratt

Caelum isn't an easy faction, unfortunately -- they're rather fragile in any age.

The swampy lizardmen of C'tis are free again, though! They're a bit more punchy in the early game.

Bandar-Log is still free, too, but while they're conceptually awesome (Illwinter uses their army in marketing screenshots! ;D) and have a lot of potential, they're a very fiddly micromanage faction.

JasonPratt

Here is the current list of players and submission statuses.

Note that I don't really need email addresses, since I've learned I can reassign players to AI without them. Just be aware that if you lag the game by three cycles and I can't contact you by forum pmail or here in the main gamethread, I'll have to boot you to AI (which I'm told cannot be undone) so that we aren't locked into the full two days of turnaround.

Consequently, if someone contributes a pretender, that's all we need to start the game, and I'll list as prepared.

PREPARED: Byrdman57: Eriu (human elf-heirs but non-shooty)

PREPARED: Vlam: Agartha (underground golem makers with some cave giants)

PREPARED: Huw the Poo: Arcoscephale (not-especially-mythological ancient Greece)

PREPARED: ScottWAR: Man's Tower of Avalon (shooty English heirs to the elves)

PREPARED: Ubercat: Jotenheim (frost giants and witches)

PREPARED: Myrmidon: Ulm (Germanic humans dressed like Panzers)

PREPARED: Beezelboss: Pythium (snakey angelic Romans)

PREPARED: King of the Scots: T'ien Chi (ancient Chinese secret humans)

PREPARED: Phobos: Shinuyama (pre-samurai Japanese goblins)

PREPARED: Philippe: Abyssia (squishy fire and blood humans + lizards)

PREPARED: mkivcs: Ermor (Roman Empire becoming undead)

PREPARED: Undercovergeek: Machaka (zulu spider witches)(damn if that doesn't sound awesome!)

PREPARED: Lunaje: Marignon (holy flaming Spanish Inquisition)

PREPARED: PsiSoldier: R'yleh (crazy evil underwater psi soldiers)(no relation)(hopefully)

PREPARED: tkati: Pangaea (mythic Grecian troops)

PREPARED: Elitesix: Atlantis (like Davy Jones' crew from the movies)

PREPARED: Claes: Mictlan (bloody Aztecs)

PREPARED: Bison: Caelum (icy winged humans)

PREPARED: Ogaburan: Ashdod (Middle Eastern heirs to giants)

PREPARED: JasonPratt: Oceana (mythy Greek underwater)

W8aminute: Vanheim (vikings, dwarves, Norse elven giants)

So at the moment, W8 is the only one who isn't ready to go yet.