4vengers 4ever (i.e. Endgame)

Started by JasonPratt, May 03, 2018, 12:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I really liked it - with some minor caveats.

Seen it twice now. The first time I left underwhelmed but I put that down to me trying to second guess everything - who dies - how they die - when they die - what's going to happen on this story, what I think will happen at this part between these characters. Not to mention all the speculation that's been kicking around since Infinity War. It completely ruined the movie for me.

Second time was much, much better.

I have some fundamental issues with super hero stuff sometimes - not just this film - but overall, it was a ride and a half.

Anyone know where they got the Gauntlet idea? Have a look...
https://tomaandcoe.com/blog/kissing-the-hand-of-saint-teresa-ronda/
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 28, 2019, 10:47:51 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD--The young guy standing by himself confused me too. I thought maybe it was Quicksilver but surely he would be standing with his sister, not by himself. Turns out according to one of the YouTube videos I watched later, it was the little kid from Ironman 3 that Stark had gone back and forth with in the scene they were together in. Don't know his name. The movie did leave me unsettled about the future of the MCU but the only thing we can do now is wait and see what they come up with.

Ohhhhhh!!! That makes great sense! I'll text Bro about that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I have a theory about what the plot was supposed to be, but I'll put it behind spoilers.

[spoiler]A lot of the time-travel plot breakage would be fixed -- not all of it but a lot -- if Tony

(a) actually sent Thanos and his army back to his own time, which just looked like ashing them (this would also explain Gamora's absence better);

(b) erased most of their memory so Thanos couldn't use his gained knowledge, including to wipe/reset the universe instead of his original plan to just kill half (but left a little memory of Stark being his ultimate downfall, thus explaining the "burdened with knowledge" exchange).

At that point, he could have sent the stones back as part of the package, too, but either that would require a second snap which he wasn't in condition to do, similar to Thanos having to recover enough to destroy the stones with a second snap -- or...

(c) he left the stones for Steve to take back so that Steve would have an excuse to use the time machine to go to the late 40s and live happily ever after. (Although there's a hint that he didn't actually marry Carter, since he didn't want to confirm who the ring was for, and he would have known he'd be messing up her original husband's happily ever after. It wouldn't be like Steve to sacrifice someone else's happiness for himself.)[/spoiler]

This would still leave some gaping and potentially fatal plot holes remaining, some of which presumably would be fixed by Loki in his upcoming TV show, but it would fix a lot. And the Russos just never found a way to write characters explaining what was really happening, within the dramatic constraints.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 29, 2019, 02:50:33 AM
Anyone know where they got the Gauntlet idea? Have a look...
https://tomaandcoe.com/blog/kissing-the-hand-of-saint-teresa-ronda/

Huh! -- I'd have to check with Starlin or Shooter about that (don't recall who originally came up with the Gauntlet story in the comics). Unsure if Starlin is still alive...

I have a passing acquaintance with the work of "the Little Doctor", though I didn't know a relic of hers was encased like that. From a theological perspective, she's interesting not only as one of the most recent Doctors of Roman Catholicism, but also because she hinted pretty strongly at universal salvation being true (which is where my work crossed paths with hers).

JasonPratt

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 29, 2019, 08:16:07 AM
Unsure if Starlin is still alive...

Ah! -- in fact, he's part of the support-group scene (not spoilery since it's in the trailers)! Nice to see he's still around; we may disagree on a number of things, but I've often appreciated his story talent.

Also in the support scene, is one of the Russo brothers. For those who've seen the movie, yes he's that guy with the most dialogue. (He also played Zemo's victim, I think, in Civil War? -- the one Zemo replaced to interrogate Bucky.)

Pete Dero

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48084977

Avengers: Endgame has made box office history by taking a record-breaking $1.2bn (£929m) in global ticket sales in its opening run.

Forbes notes that 45% of the global ticket sales came from 3-D showings around the world while $91.5m (£70.7m) came from IMAX screens, double Marvel Studio's previous opening weekend record.
Also 4DX - the cinema experience with stimulating effects like water, wind, scent and strobe lighting - earned $15m (£11.6m) globally on the movie.

Sir Slash

That's interesting. I didn't think it would've been a great 3D movie to see to begin with so I never considered it but I can now see some scenes would have been fantastic. The record take could be because it was showing in so many theaters. It started Thurs. night locally with about 5 viewings and then beginning Friday morning at 10am, about every half hour all day. I'm kind of glad because it meant I was able to get a seat without problem and the movie wasn't overcrowded at all.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

If I see one other mo-fo little shite head with their phone on in the cinema, I'm going to shove it right up their arse and turn them into a fucking lamp  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Finally saw it today.   I liked it. 

I had a few issues with it, but overall it was a good conclusion to the initial phase of the franchise.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

acctingman

Is it bad that I want Pepper Potts to bite it?

airboy

We liked it excepting my dislike of all comic book plots involving time travel.  I've hated that plot device since the 1960s.

Sir Slash

Yeah, I thought the Time Tunnel got all that straightened out.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

Who? Who Who? I'll stop now before the owls show up.