Napoleonic FPS 9 days from steam early access - Holdfast Nations at War

Started by Destraex, September 12, 2017, 04:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Cyrano on September 25, 2017, 07:47:22 AM
I've not timed it, but it felt like the proper 4-6/minute.

You mean, you can shoot 4 to 6 rounds per minute? Or it takes 4 to 6 minutes to reload?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

spelk

I give this a go today, really enjoyed it. Graphically nicer but similar in feel to Mount and Blade Warband: Napoleon. Minus the Cavalry.

@jarhead it's 4-6 rounds per minute, if you're lucky, and not hacked down by a bunny hopping french flag waver mid-reload!

The drummer/pipers seem to give you an area of effect accuracy boost, I think. And two row firing lines can be devastating as long as you have skirmishers protecting the flanks.. it was encouraging to see some people form up on the lantern bearing officers, or the standard bearers, and march in formation..

Cyrano

Spelk is correct.

Sources vary, but a skilled line infantryman could manage six a minute, a Marie-Louise closer to three.

Smoothbore, of course...rifles are entirely a different matter...

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

spelk

There was a lot of hiding round a corner, with a pistol, and downing the first man that stepped round. Then some sword/bayonet twirling in a circle, whilst the enemy tries to shoot at a moving target in the middle of a load of friendlies.. lone melee twirlers where often quite devastating if they could get to your lines, once in the mix, they could take several men out, before someone else switched to melee mode and managed to get a sabre to them.

With consensual discipline this could be a virtual re-enacters wet dream, but as it is, you're always going to have the leet bunnies hopping  about and shouting Charge every other second. Still, I'll take me musketry wherever I can get it! :)

Cyrano

Today's patch addresses TKs -- although in a temporary way -- by turning off friendly fire.  At least it shows they're paying attention, although I've not had a problem.

Also, may I say how delighted I am that ANYBODY is interested in this game :D.

HoodedHorseJoe

Took this for a spin myself today. It's good fun - some gorgeous maps with some really interesting focal points and layouts.

So lots of strangers getting together to form lines and have a 'proper' Napoleonic ruck.

I ofc went Rifleman or, failing that, Light Infantry and was skirmishing, although there was a cool moment in the last server I was on when me and four Rifleman rocket around as a fireteam in proper skirmish order, supporting the flanks of the main column.

Takes me back to the days when I was in a Mount & Blade: Warband clan called the 95th Rifles.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

AchillesLastStand

Been watching videos on this and it looks pretty interesting.
One video was quite comical, they were all on VOIP and the Officer in charge sounded like he was 14 years old. Port arms, and all of the column movement commands were spot on, GySgt Hartman would have been proud. :)

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

spelk

Quote from: Toonces on October 03, 2017, 06:33:48 PM
This looks just like a M&B:N clone.

Yeah, it kind of is. Only its not a mod, has better graphics and is a smooth experience even at this early stage. And it has naval combat. Hopefully they'll get the cavalry stuff put in there soon.

Destraex

It's a little less clunky than mount and blade and much easier on the eyes.
Mount and Blade 1's engine is, after all, very old now.

Nobody complains about their being too many ww2 or modern FPS clones. That genre seems to keep on a rollin.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

HoodedHorseJoe

As people have alluded too, it's a clone in-so-far as different FPS games are clones of each other.

M&B:N is basically a mod that had been given some coding resources to make it official, stable and justify charging for it. Holdfast is what you get if you take that idea and build from the ground-up for it, which was always bound to happen eventually. Plus, it's shiny!

Like that original mod though, this will be a game that will probably live & die by its community. It's not really going to capture a competitive scene and will instead be the new playground for re-enactors and role-players to recreate Napoleonic warfare (as interpreted by this game).

What I'd like to see as an actual evolution of games like this is perhaps some actual AI work so that they can design PvE scenarios for players to engage with, like a Siege, or something with a special objective. How about a Rorke's Drift style Horde mode with limited ammo and logistics? A man can dream.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Destraex on October 04, 2017, 04:24:45 AM
THere is a rorkes drift game in the works.

You talking about that Zulu Response game up on Steam? I've got that wish-listed but not sure how well it's coming a long, seems more of a passion project.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse