Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zonso

Wow, just got spanked in a tense battle. :o The Logans decided to declare war on me also on my 'southern' frontier - not sure why they didn't go after the shattered Sharatar or Drill who I am also at war with but that's another story. I only bordered the Logan at two points, both fortified with Battle satellites. The initial probe by the Logan resulted in defeat in one system as I forgot to upgrade the satellites so I send down a fleet of 6 Frigates, 2 Destroyers and 100 Interceptors to take back the space over the planet X, defeating the assorted Logan ships in the initial push. Fast forward a bit and being distracted by the other ongoing wars, I am suddenly alerted to another battle over planet X. Hmmm, the AI has 6 Destroyers with about 290 Heavy Fighters, 40 Interceptors and a dozen Fighters. Battle predictor says 67% in my favour but am not so sure. The Logan Destroyers bug out immediately and leave the small craft who immediately start assembling into a huge Hammer formation - first time I have seen the AI do this. I do send out my Interceptors and destroy a couple small groupings before bringing them back to the ships to fight in unison. The final fight is brutal and ugly as one after another ship goes down. I had a followup of two new Destroyers who cleaned up the remaining victorious Logan Heavy Fighters but much respect to the AI for that.   :bd:

That battle did cause me to rethink some things. I had been moving towards building up Interceptors and Heavy Fighters like the AI but now I am going to stick with Fighters and numbers. I am thinking the speed and quantity of the Fighters will make up for any shortcomings in armor and firepower. We will see.

jamus34

I actually like the tech system as it's very give and take. You can push research to get a singular tech but you'll push out all other research. It seems more realistic in that you can focus resources to get tech you need but general research will lead to broader discoveries
Insert witty comment here.

Rayfer

Quote from: jamus34 on January 26, 2017, 11:11:20 AM
I actually like the tech system as it's very give and take. You can push research to get a singular tech but you'll push out all other research. It seems more realistic in that you can focus resources to get tech you need but general research will lead to broader discoveries

Yes, it is quite different than other games in this genre, at least ones I have played. I haven't figured out its nuances yet.

FarAway Sooner

I enjoy MANY aspects of it.  It feels more "real" than most systems, and it does involve trade-offs better than many other systems.

I just found myself overwhelmed by the hundreds of combinations and permutations beyond the first 100 years or so.  When a given invention/component/structure requires differing levels of progress in 3-5 different Applied Sciences, and each Applied Science has implications for 20-60 different inventions, there's just no way for me to intelligently evaluate or manage trade-offs between my different choices.

I CAN fast-track research in a single area, but that essentially gets me back to the Civ I "now we research Iron Working" approach.

It's a great system in theory, I just think it needs some simplification to be as playable as the other parts of the game.

I'm also really eager for heroes...

goldsboro

Steelgrave

If you don't have it already....what the hell are you waiting for?!?!?!    O0

undercovergeek

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

solops

Patch imminent...
----------------------------------------------
Ufnv  [developer] Jul 26 @ 2:53pm
Everything is finalised now, including the translation and these marketing files are sent, looking forward to the official announce.

And here is one more video to share:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/418250/discussions/0/358415103478273538/?ctp=11

Now you can easily check what the new technology brings you right at the Science screen
---------------------------------

Woo Hoo!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Martok

There's a new expansion/DLC coming as well.  Am curious to see what it includes. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JudgeDredd

What are the positives/negatives between Polaris Sector and Stellaris (which I have)?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 02, 2017, 02:11:11 AM
What are the positives/negatives between Polaris Sector and Stellaris (which I have)?

LoL. This is a 36 page thread on the greatness of Polaris Sector. Read it and compare it to your experience with Stellaris.  :arr:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I understand why my post looks lazy - and I couldn't argue - but I simply wanted bullet points from people who had both

nm
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

ok - read. Alot of noise around (which is why I wanted bullet points) but overall, very positive posts  O0
Alba gu' brath