Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: ghostryder on March 29, 2016, 08:51:42 PM
Go ahead a try it. Click on "Eliprical" and your see a star with () on the upper left. Click on Eliptical with center --- your see your starting position 3 stars down from center, try segmented---your start bottom middle-- on an on. Each type---you start in the same place. Worse all you can change is a few variables like pirates or not. You can't even choose number of races...because....repeat after me.........THEY ARE CANNED SCENERIOS!

i did, 5 times - heres the screenshots - now shut the hell up, youre wrong

Jarhead0331

Ghostryder...the problem isn't your opinion, I think it's your attitude. We're happy to have you here, but please be respectful and polite. Nobody has called you a liar. Some have disagreed with you, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Please control your temper. Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 30, 2016, 05:43:16 AM
Ghostryder...the problem isn't your opinion, I think it's your attitude. We're happy to have you here, but please be respectful and polite. Nobody has called you a liar. Some have disagreed with you, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Please control your temper. Thanks.

I thought you might get involved in this thread, it needed a voice of reason.  Amazes me how certain games/publishers always seem to devolve into emotional/personal word-wars. Paradox and Battlefront games often do.

vyshka

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 30, 2016, 03:51:17 AM
Go ahead a try it. Click on "Eliprical" and your see a star with () on the upper left. Click on Eliptical with center --- your see your starting position 3 stars down from center, try segmented---your start bottom middle-- on an on. Each type---you start in the same place. Worse all you can change is a few variables like pirates or not. You can't even choose number of races...because....repeat after me.........THEY ARE CANNED SCENERIOS!

Oh sure, argue by providing evidence. Where is the fun in that?  :P

Arctic Blast

Quote from: vyshka on March 30, 2016, 04:09:13 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 30, 2016, 03:51:17 AM

Oh sure, argue by providing evidence. Where is the fun in that?  :P

I thought that evidence had been declared illegal by the Laws of the Internet?

Yskonyn

"Honey, are you coming to bed? It's 3 am!"

"But but, someone's WRONG on the internet!!"

:D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ian C

Well, I got it today and spent a few hours on it. I feel bad for forgetting to let the cat in because I was enjoying it so much. I think I made a good purchase. Is it possible to name fleets?

undercovergeek

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 30, 2016, 05:15:04 PM
"Honey, are you coming to bed? It's 3 am!"

"But but, someone's WRONG on the internet!!"

:D

damn right Ysk  ;D

vyshka

Got a 38% off coupon for my 11th anniversary as a customer of matrix/slitherine, so what the heck on to the hard drive it goes.

mikeck

I'm rolling through the tech now. Colonized about 6 planets dedicated to research and farming. Anyway, got "Frigate" and a fast firing laser designed for point defense. Armed my frigate with a few of those lasers and some MIRV missiles. First battle (I'm at war with the Krill), I brought 3 corvettes, my new frigate, a tender with extra missiles and a refueler. Enemy carrier launched 2 "globs" of fighters...looked like about 40 altogether. As soon as they got close to my frigate, the frigate started spitting out red lasers from the port broadside into the formations. I shredded those fighters in about 10 seconds. They would have been fine against corvettes but not against a ship with PD. so much for fighters rule.

Cool thing about combat in this game is that it really is combined arms. You want long range missiles, torpedo bombers and fighters...a good mix. Put all you eggs in 1 basket and your done. For example,the AI could build torpedo bombers instead of fighters and arm them with longer range torpedoes...out of my laser range. I would need fighters to intercept and slow them down.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

This talk about Corvettes and Tenders makes me think of SotS 2. Is ship building anything like it?

Is the starmap 3D, or just look 3D on a 2D plane?

SotS 2's random techtree really makes for interesting games; does this game come with the option for random tech tree ?

(Apologies if these questionnaires have already been asked. I didnt read all the posts in here yet)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ian C

Quote from: mikeck on March 30, 2016, 08:17:29 PM

Cool thing about combat in this game is that it really is combined arms. You want long range missiles, torpedo bombers and fighters...a good mix. Put all you eggs in 1 basket and your done. For example,the AI could build torpedo bombers instead of fighters and arm them with longer range torpedoes...out of my laser range. I would need fighters to intercept and slow them down.

I'm having a blast with this game. I spent over an hour just making ship designs and customising fleet composition. Creating ships with specific functions is a huge part of the enjoyment (creating variants is cool), especially when you have to make choices over range/arms/speed. It occurred to me that system-only defense fleets need no range (1 gravity fuel tank only) so they can be filled up with extra goodies and have better speed. Each new bunch of tech discoveries unlocks so many tactical options, it's great fun. A really good game indeed.

Barthheart

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 31, 2016, 12:47:30 AM
This talk about Corvettes and Tenders makes me think of SotS 2. Is ship building anything like it?

SotS 2's random techtree really makes for interesting games; does this game come with the option for random tech tree ?

(Apologies if these questionnaires have already been asked. I didnt read all the posts in here yet)

Never had SOTS II as I didn't much like SOTS, but the ship building in this game is great fun. You actually need to build ships that a purpose designed as, in at least the early ones, there's not enough space in the hulls for every type of module and still be able to move etc. For example I have 2 different types of Scouts, a variant on the original one with a Scouting module so I can see an extra system out. Then I have one that ahs a gas collector but a much reduced range. These I send down wormholes on discovery missions. Because they have a gas collector they don't need to worry about being close to my planets to refuel and so can take as long as they need to return home.... wormholes are one direction trips.

There is a toggle to slider to make the maps completely 2D  all the way to full 3D... although the maps aren't very deep in the 3rd dimension....

No way I' found to make the research random....

mikeck

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 31, 2016, 12:47:30 AM

Well the graphics and "atmosphere" of the ship designer is nowhere near SOTS2.  SOTS 2 may have more things to put on the ship I'm not really sure yet... but if it is, it's not by much. Where I prefer Polaris ship design is that you have to be smart in your layout. You don't just slap things on a ship; you have to make sure everything fits properly. This really forces you to specialize ships. In SO TS 2  I found myself throwing point defense lasers on everything. All in all I think S OTS to designer is more elegant but I enjoy playing around more with the Polaris designer
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Pete Dero