Main Menu

Carriers at War

Started by panzerde, June 09, 2014, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I've been tempted by it but have not taken the plunge.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

Quote from: The_Admiral on August 19, 2019, 09:33:17 PM
Do you people play BSG deadlock at all? :hug:

I played it for a while.  Not bad.  The version I played with got a little bit samey after a while.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

The_Admiral

QuoteI've been tempted by it but have not taken the plunge.

The game gets updated regularly with new stuff, in that regard it is amazing. For the rest, yes one could be afraid that it gets a bit repetitive overtime, but so is any game of the kind (playing Homeworld or Battlefleet Gothic outside of the main campaign will eventually get repetitive too I s'ppose). Production value (music, graphics, replay options...) is really sky high for a game published under a Slitherine label. If you are into BSG there is NO EXCUSE!  C:-)

I would say that one of the reason that leads to the feeling of repetitiveness Andrew mentioned is also a direct consequence of its strength: it is rather intuitive, the learning curve is user-friendly and you get a good feeling out of it in no time, which can be good but not super-rewarding for some of us. Not your average monster game, it is actually the sort of well-rounded product we are not really used to.

The_Admiral

Kind Sirs,

A couple of you gentlemen have already offered to help in the past. I thank you for that (they will recognize themselves ^^)

We are on the verge of going public (it might occur sometime next week if I manage to keep my schedule). By then we will have a website ready to roll and a Facebook page too.
I don't worry too much about the Facebook page (it's Facebook, after all, not really the realm of text walling is it) but a website, when it goes live, leaves a bigger footprint. It is going to have some content where we explain our vision of the game, our design philosophy, our features, etc...

I would be looking for one or two volunteers who would be kind enough to give us a little bit of their time in the course of the next week to proof-read the whole thing before it goes live? It's not a big deal, but this is the sort of aspect that we cannot leave to non-native speakers amateurs like ourselves. I will also gladly (well not so much actually, but that's life ^^) take advices and remarks regarding the actual content and the cheesier parts of it, so anybody who is both qualified English grammar AND has a critical mind is welcome.

Can't send you money for that, but I'll make sure that I keep a copy of the game for you, that's the very least I can do, especially if you keep on helping us on this :)

Thanks in advance...

MC

I would be more than happy to proof-read. Just let me know the details when you have them.

The_Admiral

Thank you MC! Duly noted  :notworthy:

I believe there will be enough content for two, so don't be shy ^^ thanks all

acctingman

Good luck there Admiral. I've watched this thread very closely and will buy the game (sooner than later). It looks outstanding so far.

Tripoli

Quote from: The_Admiral on August 22, 2019, 10:46:09 AM
Kind Sirs,

A couple of you gentlemen have already offered to help in the past. I thank you for that (they will recognize themselves ^^)

We are on the verge of going public (it might occur sometime next week if I manage to keep my schedule). By then we will have a website ready to roll and a Facebook page too.
I don't worry too much about the Facebook page (it's Facebook, after all, not really the realm of text walling is it) but a website, when it goes live, leaves a bigger footprint. It is going to have some content where we explain our vision of the game, our design philosophy, our features, etc...

I would be looking for one or two volunteers who would be kind enough to give us a little bit of their time in the course of the next week to proof-read the whole thing before it goes live? It's not a big deal, but this is the sort of aspect that we cannot leave to non-native speakers amateurs like ourselves. I will also gladly (well not so much actually, but that's life ^^) take advices and remarks regarding the actual content and the cheesier parts of it, so anybody who is both qualified English grammar AND has a critical mind is welcome.

Can't send you money for that, but I'll make sure that I keep a copy of the game for you, that's the very least I can do, especially if you keep on helping us on this :)

Thanks in advance...

I'll volunteer
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Silent Disapproval Robot

Millipede

I frequently cringe at grammar and spelling errors while surfing the 'net and I think you're wise to ask for proofreaders. I'm more than happy to help if you wish.

steve58

If you don't have enuff (misspelling intentional >:D) volunteers by now, I can also help.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Millipede

^ I got that   ^-^ :-[

The_Admiral

Thank you boys, for volunteering and the kind words both.
Will keep you updated :)

In the meantime here's a few extra candies  :hug:
The Lead Dev is on holidays (I mean, he deserves that, especially if there's nothing left for him to enjoy before next Christmas  :knuppel2: ) so that small update doesn't have anything much in terms of mechanics, except for the first video. The photos are resized for the forum, please click on the shot if you want to see them at their proper original size.

Here's an early peek at our AI air combat logic experiments. Here you have a AI Butch O'Hare training his shooting skills on Betties in the configuration they were during the Lexington Bougainville raid. Alright, that sort of ammunition expenditure would have prevented him from scoring his 5 planes that day, but you have to start somewhere. We're already happy that the AI learned not to taran everything it shoots at, it is already a good start  ::)

We also had progress on the whole flag plot thing, in time to show them next week on the website. We've reached the texturing phase, and it should be quite lovely very soon. Coming around slowly but nicely.

Next are plane skin experiments, using our current paintscheme viewer. We're working on the weathering effect for planes which have been subject to a longer service at sea or ashore in areas where painting isn't exactly the priority. Our 2D artist fortunately is discovering himself to be pretty good at texturing too so I am happy to see that we will probably be able to do all this in-house, without having to go looking for external help.

Besides, here are a few screens of the F4F we used for the Butch O'Hare video. As you can see, the squadron markings are working ok, and every plane has its own ID. The trained eye might notice that we are using a F4F-4 model with a F4F-3 skin, but this is just temporary. Eventually everybody will have its own proper model, of course.

Speaking of our 2D artist, he made his first attempts at painting the portraits that the player might see when he/she is interacting with the flag staff ingame. Here is his first attempt at imagining Elliot Buckmaster as the skipper of Yorktown in 1942 in his Captain days. He ain't the easiest customer, considering the very little graphic material available regarding this period of his career, but it is certainly good training. Result is pretty cool, and this will eventually make for great artbook material, especially if we were to print a Deluxe edition.

Finally, a few shots of the IJN line up with previously seen 3D models being brought up to our current standard of details. Ultimately most if not all the units taking part to the 1942 campaigns will feature in the game, which will naturally make our IJN fanboys rather happy and make target practice colourful for the US side. As with planes, they will be fully customizable, so if a deranged warship loli artist wants to paint his waifu all over the deck of his preferred ship, be our guest. It will be a single-player game anyway, so the danger is somewhat self-contained  and can only spread with your own willing complicity :knuppel2:  ^-^

Note that Mogami's guns are seen here in the 3D software. Obviously the final version will have the proper elevation for all guns, including her deranged turret B.

Here. I hope that was entertaining. Hopefully see you next week for the actual "launch" of our propaganda machine  :-"  8)

Strela

My heavens, Admiral, this is just going from strength to strength!

I think it's time I changed game companies!  ;D

Awesome work, you know you have reached a milestone when your website goes live.

All the best for next week!

David

Pete Dero

Any idea how much of a pc will be needed to run all this ?

Could be one of those games that deserve a new machine.