Old School Tactical - WIP Counters and Cards

Started by Richie61, October 28, 2017, 09:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I think Richie's doing great work with the tools he's got available.

I think any graphics issues I've got w/ his counters aren't his fault, but rather design decisions with the original game graphics.  They were, quite honestly, a big turn-off for me and one of the reasons I wasn't that interested in picking the game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

I'd tend to agree with that Brant - looks like it's mostly design issues that I have with it as well - but - apparently it works as it's a popular game.  Carry on Richie!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Crossroads

I just learned via a wargaming FB group that Ed P. aka Richie 61 lost his battle against cancer and has just passed away. I bought a few boardgames from him, and was in touch with him about chit design as he was very active with his top down mods to various games.

I am not sure this is the right forum or thread to post this, but he did love his top-down chits so thought to post here instead of opening a new thread. Mods please feel free to delete / move to an appropriate place.

RIP Ed

:(
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bob48

That is very sad indeed. He fought a good fight. RIP.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bbmike

Quote from: bob48 on July 17, 2018, 06:24:02 AM
That is very sad indeed. He fought a good fight. RIP.

+1, terrible news.  :'(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Very sad indeed. He was very active across a lot of different games that I followed.

RIP Ed.

Crossroads

Here's a post from The Blitz Squad Battles forum by 'Landser34':

QuoteI sent a message to check up on Ed and she just wrote me back Ed passed away last night.
here is her message.

QuoteDennis, I'm happy that you reached out. Ed passed on last night at 6:15. It was our 24th anniversary, and I believe he was holding on just for me. He died peacefully, which was a tremendous relief. He'd been excruciating pain for the past 6 months. Hospice was finally able to get his pain under control, and it was good that he was no longer suffering. All of you guys were very important to Ed. He loved playing you all's war games. I know he was quite good at it, and that doesn't surprise me. I'll be posting his obituary at some point either today or tomorrow. Please let all his friends know.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Crossroads, please post a link to the obituary here for us.

Jarhead0331

This is  very sad news. Ed was a tremendous asset to the community. He will be missed.   :'(
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Crossroads on July 17, 2018, 05:47:35 AM
I just learned via a wargaming FB group that Ed P. aka Richie 61 lost his battle against cancer

can you share the link to that post?  (Pm if needed) thanks!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Crossroads

Crossroads

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 17, 2018, 07:45:07 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on July 17, 2018, 05:47:35 AM
I just learned via a wargaming FB group that Ed P. aka Richie 61 lost his battle against cancer

can you share the link to that post?  (Pm if needed) thanks!

PM sent, as it is a closed group (The Wargamers Club for Gentlemen, hosted by Peter Jeavons).

therealmarkwalker

QuoteThe "c" and other smaller symbols are going to be very difficult to pick up on a 5/8" counter (assuming that's the counter size that this game uses).

LOL, I can see that you might not be familiar with Flying Pig games. Are counters are big, some as big as 13/8" (Night of Man vehicles) and OST vehicles are approximately 7/8"!

I think these counters look great!

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on July 17, 2018, 07:27:03 AM
Crossroads, please post a link to the obituary here for us.

These links were posted at the Blitz Squad Battles forum. Rest in peace Ed.

http://www.dyer-lakefuneralhome.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=2121527

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/obituaries/edward-d-pacitto/article_5dcb36f4-7408-52ec-838a-469bfa3234cd.html

(The latter won't open me as I am from EU).

I wonder if he shared his OST mod sheets with anyone. Would be nice to be able to share them in memory of him and his art work.