Main Menu

MOO3 Information

Started by solops, July 07, 2013, 01:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Well, I didn't say "no headaches". Install it outside of the program(86) folder that windows always wants to out it I . That's easy. I had some issues with the tropical mod patching but others have not. Problem solved when I replaced the stock Moo3.exe with the one that came with the tropical 1.13.10 mod (which it says you are not supposed to do). Others have had no issues at all
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Ok, I have a question for you Moo3 vets. I am trying to set a policy for my planet. Basically, I want to make one a mining world and another a food world, etc.

I can creat plans for these different type worlds no problem.
The problem is when I click on a planet and bring up the "drop down" to select what type of planet it will be (to match my plan). The only choices are "new" and "player defined" how do I get to select "core, mineral, tech. Military, production, etc so that the viceroy will build accordingly?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Anguille

Quote from: mikeck on July 13, 2013, 08:23:32 PM
Ok, I have a question for you Moo3 vets. I am trying to set a policy for my planet. Basically, I want to make one a mining world and another a food world, etc.

I can creat plans for these different type worlds no problem.
The problem is when I click on a planet and bring up the "drop down" to select what type of planet it will be (to match my plan). The only choices are "new" and "player defined" how do I get to select "core, mineral, tech. Military, production, etc so that the viceroy will build accordingly?
It will remain on "new" for a certain number of turns...the new planet needs to build up the first infrastructures before it's possible to give a speciality...i don't have the manual here but i think it's correct.

Huw the Poo

FAQ covering planetary classifications

According to that FAQ, Anguille is correct; the "new" classification is temporary and lasts for 15 turns.

mikeck

This is my home world and it is turn 50. I designate it as "player defined 1" and created a plane for "player defined 1" as a mining world. Should work

peddroelm

First videos cover a lot of critical game mechanics information that is mostly missing from the game's manual ..

First video presents general economy concepts (with diagrams)
Seconds video deals mostly with various DEAs output formulas

From third video on - split screen actual gameplay silicoid vs tachidi games to illustrate some mechanics by contrast/comparison ..

youtube playlist link  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFWnpbmrXTornnsob-8zgwevwhONQ096_

Anguille

That's interesting! You put a lot of work into this  O0

Jarhead0331

Welcome! Thanks for posting. Great thread to necro!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

Thanks! I'll check this out. I just re-installed MOO3 last week and have been wanting to play it again.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Swatter

I was drawn back into MOO3 last time this thread came around. I do like the game, but its simply broken. There are bugs in the economic system that ruined every game that I started. After a moderate amount of time, little things stopped properly adding up. After a bit longer, your income just losses all touch with reality (its like flipping a switch). I believe these were hard coded bugs that mods couldn't help.

Before anyone invests time into the game, do some research in the mod forums about economy bugs. Its just terrible bugs like this could have made it past Beta, let alone several patches in. Its just goes to show how bad a state the development team was in.

peddroelm

Quote from: Swatter on March 16, 2015, 12:04:56 PM
I was drawn back into MOO3 last time this thread came around. I do like the game, but its simply broken. There are bugs in the economic system that ruined every game that I started. After a moderate amount of time, little things stopped properly adding up. After a bit longer, your income just losses all touch with reality (its like flipping a switch). I believe these were hard coded bugs that mods couldn't help.

Before anyone invests time into the game, do some research in the mod forums about economy bugs. Its just terrible bugs like this could have made it past Beta, let alone several patches in. Its just goes to show how bad a state the development team was in.

Could you be more specific as to where I might find more info on those economic system bugs ?
I've been trying to make heads and tails of the planetary economy  (mainly so I could judge spaceport worthiness) but its really slippery .. Even the simple %Tax income from GDP doesn't match after a few turns or so .. Really irritating .. Could be the mythical GOV DEA tax bonuses solar system outreach shenanigans ? (very unlikely) .. Might test again in a small empire after ripping out all GOV DEAs .. (not only on test planet) ..

Poorly explained mechanics or nasty bugs ? (in my experience based on analyzing other games those to sadly go hand in hand .. If the mechanics are not clearly explained and thus easily verifiable, bugs abound  ) 

Anguille

I don't remember but i had a look at the threads about economics in the game and it all made sense (i am an auditor). Thing is that i've never seen such a complex system in any game, so yes i think it's too complex but it's not bugged.  ;)

bbmike

Were you playing with any of the major mods?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Anguille

Quote from: bbmike on March 16, 2015, 03:04:14 PM

Were you playing with any of the major mods?
I've just used the patches done by Bhruic. I think that most mods include them and they should be fairly easy to install but i never tried one. I should install the game on my new desktop.

peddroelm

http://www.orionsector.com/pages/moo3/dd/dd-highfinance.php

wonder if any of this made it in the game ..  (Surplus Interest Rate ??) ..Could this explain why the TAX rate shown on planet screen is higher than the adjustable tax number (without planetary finance buildings that increase tax collection)  and without GOV deas which I'm afraid do nothing to affect the TAX amount collected directly (despite the description and entire line of DEA addons dedicated to it) (they do affecting it via the economic mods by boosting DEA outputs -> thus GDP -> thus TAX collected ) .. when I try to check it on more advanced mid-game planets .... Should check vs new colonies with thin treasuries at same turn to see if the TAX is closer to the "truth" for those ..