Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Fighter pilots make movies.

Bomber pilots make history.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

You can preorder it from Dcs store as well.

It looks like the latest DCS update wiped out many peoples controls back to default.  Weird thing is, the backup files were incompatible with this latest version.  Hotfix in bound apparently. 

Pete Dero

Quote from: Skoop on October 13, 2018, 03:37:37 PM
It looks like the latest DCS update wiped out many peoples controls back to default.  Weird thing is, the backup files were incompatible with this latest version.  Hotfix in bound apparently.

Or you could rebind them manually.  There are only around 300 controls per module and there can't be more than 15 modules  >:D :crazy2: !

jomni

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 13, 2018, 04:29:28 PM

Or you could rebind them manually.  There are only around 300 controls per module and there can't be more than 15 modules  >:D :crazy2: !

Well, it's the same thing when doing a clean install after uninstalling after a long time of inactivity as I do frequently.

Nefaro

You can preorder it from Dcs store as well.

Was getting ready to load up some of my old keybind backup files.   :hide:

Hope they fix that compatibility before long.  My throttle, alone, has 4 hat switches, a mini-joy, and 3 buttons.  That's at least 21 different commands to program for each aircraft.  Multiply that by the 13+ aircraft I currently have to load it into.  Then do it over again for my Stick (~22 commands) and Rudder (~3) along with all the curve tweaking on the axes.   :pullhair: 

It's a damn time sink even when just loading up the three saved files into each aircraft profile, to say nothing of redoing each button and sensitivity curve anew.  Maybe they should upgrade their wonky keybind backup saves while they're fixing it?   :))

Toonces

I know this is going to be whiny, but it's true:  One of the biggest things holding me back from getting into DCS again is the daunting task of re-binding the controllers.  I don't find it to be a very intuitive and easy process, and it's straight up time consuming.

I get it that there should be some pain to configuring and learning to fly in a high-end simulation like this, but that doesn't make the idea any more appealing.  I think about doing it, and then just go fly WoFF instead, which takes about 5 minutes to configure.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Pete Dero

Quote from: Toonces on October 14, 2018, 10:44:54 AM
I know this is going to be whiny, but it's true:  One of the biggest things holding me back from getting into DCS again is the daunting task of re-binding the controllers.  I don't find it to be a very intuitive and easy process, and it's straight up time consuming.

I get it that there should be some pain to configuring and learning to fly in a high-end simulation like this, but that doesn't make the idea any more appealing.  I think about doing it, and then just go fly WoFF instead, which takes about 5 minutes to configure.

I save my profiles (keyboard, stick and throttle) to another directory.  Removed DCS completely to have a clean new install in a different HD location and loaded my saved profiles without any issues (takes around 1 minute for each module).

So it isn't that time consuming (unless like this time a technical issue corrupts the profiles).   It's learning the modules that takes all my time.

Nefaro

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 14, 2018, 12:09:29 PM

I save my profiles (keyboard, stick and throttle) to another directory.  Removed DCS completely to have a clean new install in a different HD location and loaded my saved profiles without any issues (takes around 1 minute for each module).

So it isn't that time consuming (unless like this time a technical issue corrupts the profiles).   It's learning the modules that takes all my time.

That's what I do. 

Although saving 3 different files per aircraft gets stacked up pretty quick.  Still takes time having to go into each individual a/c type's dropdown profile, load up the three files, then double check the axes still takes time. 

Notably - I'd also lump having to remember where you had everything mapped, for each aircraft, into this process.  I spend extra time drawing HOTAS mapping diagrams for each so it takes less time when returning, but it makes the initial setup even longer.  I think it's essential, though.  Problem I have right now is having both a recently built PC with fresh installs of everything (DCS, TIR, etc) and a new Warthog stick that will need a fresh key map made for each a/c.  I always expect these to take hours.

I think ED should at least host some well done keymap files for each piece of stick, throttle, and rudder hardware on the market.  Get the users to submit, and then preferably put an option in-game to d/l and install each as needed.  Dunno if people still keep user-created keymaps for each aircraft & HOTAS combo  hosted somewheree, but the few times I looked I couldn't find them or the d/ls were busted.  Would be far easier for new users to get into it that way and make it easier for old timers who change their hardware.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2018, 12:56:28 PM
I think ED should at least host some well done keymap files for each piece of stick, throttle, and rudder hardware on the market.  Get the users to submit, and then preferably put an option in-game to d/l and install each as needed.  Dunno if people still keep user-created keymaps for each aircraft & HOTAS combo  hosted somewheree, but the few times I looked I couldn't find them or the d/ls were busted.  Would be far easier for new users to get into it that way and make it easier for old timers who change their hardware.

Nothing official but user created device profiles can be found here : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=70&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

You could use a few of them to start from and adjust them to your own preferences.

Nefaro

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 14, 2018, 01:22:09 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2018, 12:56:28 PM

Nothing official but user created device profiles can be found here : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=70&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

You could use a few of them to start from and adjust them to your own preferences.

Thanks.

They don't have all my motley assortment regarding in-game save files, hardware, and specific aircraft, but at least something's hosted there.   Although I've already spent a lot of time setting up my HOTAS buttons to be largely the same across all the fixed-wing aircraft in DCS and backed them up for future use.  Makes it far easier to relearn & switch between different aircraft types when the vast majority of your buttons do the exact same thing.   :nerd: 

That's the kind of universal basic keymaps they need;  a set for each HOTAS that is largely the same across all aircraft types (and easily enabled in-game).  Would be far easier on the noobs.

I only have to wait until the keymap loading options get patched since they're reportedly screwed up right now after the recent update.  Gonna be sure my updated saves are good to go before spending time on it.

Tuna

jomni

That's why for DCS (before I stopped)... I decided to only learn one plane and keep flying just that one plane.

Nefaro

Apparently the devs decided to rearrange the keybind stuff in the last patch.   Without telling anyone.

So some of our past keybind files will have some issues if you try to load them up now, and will for the future.  In other words, we'll have to rebind and save under the latest DCS versions in order to have future-compatible backup files. 

Le sigh.  It's one thing to have to redo all that, but this gives me doubts about how long my backup files will be valid if they're still jacking with it.   I'm gonna wait until this weeks (?) patch is out to see if the keybind saves get nullified again before spending the time.  Had just been getting the itch to do some DCS multi-player again, too.   

mbar

My key binds were reset with a summer patch and I waited for a fix that never came. My F/A-18c has been neglected on the tarmac ever since.

Nefaro

Looks like a new Blue Flag event is starting this weekend with a Persian Gulf theater:

(EDIT:  There is a nice promo vid but YouTube took this opportunity to explode so I'll post later)

http://gadget.buddyspike.net/

I regularly have someone's Twitch streams of it running in the background if I'm home, screwing around.  More interesting than most tv/streaming shows.  Dunno if I'll have my hardware re-mapped by then but they usually run for awhile.

Speaking of watching people blow each other up, just heard there are more DCS tourneys this month (Saturdays?) featuring a crew of announcers & external view streams of the clashes.   6v6 matches.  Earlier ones were entertaining.   :cowboy:   https://www.twitch.tv/videos/322194946