The Operational Art of War IV coming to Steam

Started by MC, October 13, 2018, 08:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

In case you were waiting for this, The Operational Art of War IV is coming to Steam on October 15th. I already have my Matrix copy so I assume I will get a key to add it to my Steam library.

Moreb

Another game I own that I never played. Tried to play a scenario and it wasn't very intuitive for me. Another case of too many games, not enough time. I never did get the whole time stamp thing. Probably a lack of desire to try to understand the system I guess.

Would you consider the title as toaw 4? It seemed more like toaw 3.5 to me, strictly speaking as an amateur.
When dongles fly? - mirth

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Moreb on October 13, 2018, 10:38:36 PM
Another game I own that I never played. Tried to play a scenario and it wasn't very intuitive for me. Another case of too many games, not enough time. I never did get the whole time stamp thing. Probably a lack of desire to try to understand the system I guess.

Would you consider the title as toaw 4? It seemed more like toaw 3.5 to me, strictly speaking as an amateur.

I like the game, and have played it a lot.  But, no, it's not TOAW 4.  It's not even really 3.5.  It's 3 with a facelift on the 2d graphics side. 

That's not a bad thing.  But I played a ton of TOAW 3, and more than 100 hours of TOAW 4, and outside of looking a lot better, I haven't really noticed a difference.   

That doesn't mean I don't recommend TOAW 4, but I honestly can't call it a sequel.   It brings virtually nothing new to the table, things just work more cleanly like phased combat, but it is still the same excellent game we had with the previous entry.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

I never got into 3, partly due to the grainy graphics.
Now with 4 the graphics are ok, but I find it a pretty daunting game to get my head around properly. Do you recommend any tutorials to get to know the game?

The video tutorials by matrix are pretty awful.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 14, 2018, 12:29:26 PM
I never got into 3, partly due to the grainy graphics.
Now with 4 the graphics are ok, but I find it a pretty daunting game to get my head around properly. Do you recommend any tutorials to get to know the game?

The video tutorials by matrix are pretty awful.

I wish I could recommend something better but sadly I can't. 

Unfortunately, the best way to learn the game is by following the old 90's style .pdf tutorial open on one screen or window, while playing the Korea 1950 scenario it walks you through in the other. 

The videos are pretty difficult to get into, I agree, but they're an ok supplement after that.

Finally, it's just one of those games where you have to read the manual and keep it handy. 

My suggestion is to play out the Korean War scenario first, from both sides.  It's actually a pretty good way to get your feet wet and develop a real feel for the phased combat and the idea of momentum vs. preparation that is so key to the system.

After that, start small.  There are a lot of great limited scenarios that are pretty one sided, but historically fun and let you work with the mechanics and make a few mistakes here and there.  Grenada and the Falklands come immediately to mind. 

It's really just one of those games you have to get comfortable with.  Once you do, it's really not hard to master. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Huw the Poo

Hmmm I could be tempted by this one for some sexy PBEM action.

Yskonyn

Thanks SirAndrewD! I guess I'll have to keep slogging then.

Huw I am more than willing to play PBEM once I have an idea what I am doing. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 14, 2018, 04:18:04 PM
Thanks SirAndrewD! I guess I'll have to keep slogging then.

Key to this game for me is just understanding the relationship between moving and attack.  Keep an eye in the battle planning screen on how much time you expend on attacks with and without movement. 

You can master a lot of this game by carefully deciding when you're going to be aggressive, and spend a lot of time by pushing your troops to the front line and then attacking after they make a long move, or deciding to get into place and holding for a turn and making a very heavy and well prepared attack the next turn.

It's one of the better games at simulating the difficulty of effectively managing offensive operations with momentum, and not letting them bog down due to exhaustion and allowing support to fall behind the spearhead.

It also has a lot of micro in the big scenarios, but I typically play the game windowed while I'm doing something else. 

Pete Dero

Sir Slash

Trying hard NOT to go check it out--- for fear I'll cave immediately.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Yskonyn

Existing customers get a Steam key so you can choose which version you want to install.

Thanks SirAndrewD; your suggestion for Korea tutorial was superb!
I am beginning to make sense of it all now.

RyanE

I love starting a TOAW IV game, but quickly get a headache and can't finish it.

solops

I thought the graphics in 1 through 3 were just fine and in some ways preferable to the "improvements". And the changes in TOAW 4 "under the hood" from III to IV are huge. Check the change-log carefully and you'll see. Many of the changes are corrections or fixes to the original. Now, whether it deserve to be a "IV" rather than a "3.5" I could not say. But, I have no problem paying for the product these guys delivered. If you guys have trouble getting into it, try smaller scenarios. I think many people have a tendency to go for the big ones and find themselves either overwhelmed or confused by the game engine.

The game got a another patch today.

As far as Steam goes, I think its release there is a "non". Its a niche game and the TOAW 4 gamers pool already knows about it. The best thing about its presence on Steam is the endless entertainment I will have reading the indignant, outraged and ignorant posts about this great game from all of the kiddy-clickers there.

This IS a Gognard's game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

RommelFox

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 15, 2018, 10:09:21 AM
Trying hard NOT to go check it out--- for fear I'll cave immediately.  :hide:

I've been interested in this game for awhile, and I have some steam credit to put towards it.  I'm not even going to go to the steam store page, because I'll instantly cave.

Going to wait for that hopefully sweet holiday sale. 
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs