Main Menu

DCS F/A-18C

Started by Jarhead0331, July 03, 2017, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: IronX on May 18, 2018, 07:47:59 PM
You only have to buy Tacview if want the full-featured program. The free version is still pretty useful.

Yep, understood....not sure I am good enough player to use those types of tools.

IronX

I've used it a few times for IL-2, more often out of curiosity than as a serious analytical tool. It is great for showing you what's going on around you as much as what you're doing right or wrong. I've been surprised to find, for example, how many other aircraft were near me during MP missions that I never saw because I was so focused on what I was doing.

Edit: Coincidentally, this came up in my YT feed last night and shows how TacView can be a useful post-action review tool.

Grim.Reaper

Curious, since the Hornet and new map will be in early access mode, anybody know how it will be made available?  Just show up in DCS World?  Or do you have to download and implement some kind of separate early access/beta version from somewhere?  Never participated in this stuff below so not sure.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 20, 2018, 07:01:25 AM
Curious, since the Hornet and new map will be in early access mode, anybody know how it will be made available?  Just show up in DCS World?  Or do you have to download and implement some kind of separate early access/beta version from somewhere?  Never participated in this stuff below so not sure.

It will appear in your modules section within DCS World. You install it from there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 20, 2018, 08:07:49 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 20, 2018, 07:01:25 AM

It will appear in your modules section within DCS World. You install it from there.

Great...I was reading some place and they talked about a "beta" branch so wasn't sure if you needed that our just the normal install of it.  Glad to hear its business as usual versus something different.

Yskonyn

It IS something different.
You will need to have the open beta installed of DCS World to be able to load the Hormuz map and the Hornet.
Luckily you can force your install to the OB branch by using the updater.exe program in a command prompt environment. More info is linked earlier in the thread.
But for clarity; the map and Hornet will NOT show up in the module manager of the stable branch yet come the 23rd.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I've decided I'm either going to get a HOTAS Warthog or a Logitech X56 Rhino HOTAS

I think.

I'm not really sure. I'm having issues with my X-52 Pro. I love it and bought it second hand quite some time ago. I would be tempted to buy another new one if I knew the problem would go away - but I'm not sure it will. I've been looking at other sticks and I'm really taken with the Warthog.

However...I do play racing games more than I play flight simulations. But - there's nothing wrong with my steering wheel...and I have spent plenty of money on DCS - so I kind of think even though I play driving sims more, the stick seems a decent choice.

Unfortunately, I don't have £400 sitting around - so I'll have to save up fora few months first. Can't have the kids going hungry.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

For the record, I'm not 100% thrilled with the X-55. I suppose, overall, I'm satisfied, but I don't like it as much as the X-52Pro, which I had for years. Now, I've heard the X-56 does have some improvements, but it seems like more or less the same HOTAS to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I love the X52 Pro - but the damn thing locks my PC when I unplug it and I can't find what the problem is (PC wise). So my only conclusion, thus far, is there's something wrong with the stick - and I've seen posts where people suggested power being the issue. So I bought (and wasted I might add) £20 on a powered hub in the hope that solved the problem. Nope.

Anyway - I thought you had a Warthog?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 21, 2018, 03:45:17 PM
I love the X52 Pro - but the damn thing locks my PC when I unplug it and I can't find what the problem is (PC wise). So my only conclusion, thus far, is there's something wrong with the stick - and I've seen posts where people suggested power being the issue. So I bought (and wasted I might add) £20 on a powered hub in the hope that solved the problem. Nope.

Anyway - I thought you had a Warthog?

Negative. I have a Rhino.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Aaah. So you preferred the X-52 Pro to the Rhino?

Maybe I could try a new X-52 and if I get the same issue, return it  :dreamer:
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 21, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

1) I've heard the X52 has internal wiring issues that tend to show up over time.  Someone I spoke to mentioned recently getting rid of his due to some wires shorting out while he was using it.

2) I believe Saitek was bought out by a different company recently.  Not sure if they're still producing much of their products.

Jarhead0331

^ Saitek was bought by Logitech from Mad Catz.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on May 21, 2018, 06:15:25 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 21, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

1) I've heard the X52 has internal wiring issues that tend to show up over time.  Someone I spoke to mentioned recently getting rid of his due to some wires shorting out while he was using it.

2) I believe Saitek was bought out by a different company recently.  Not sure if they're still producing much of their products.
I've read lots of posts and tried various fixes...nothing has worked yet.

I have no problems using the stick in game. It's when I unplug the stick my system becomes unresponsive and needs a reboot. Not the end of the world, but annoying as hell...especially now I let it get under my skin.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I'm far from an expert, but that sounds more like a driver issue than a possible power problem, no?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog