Main Menu

DCS F/A-18C

Started by Jarhead0331, July 03, 2017, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 06, 2017, 04:33:00 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 06, 2017, 04:22:16 AM
I hate Facebook with a passion. And I don't find it ok that some companies post the brunt of their news on there. Luckily ED has newsletters and Wagner has a YT channel. :)

DCS also posts everything here : https://www.youtube.com/c/eagledynamicstv/videos
oooh. Thanks and subscribed  O0
Alba gu' brath

Destraex

I for one am glad DCS are doing ww2. Best sim for all eras imho.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on July 06, 2017, 05:06:39 AM

Key words.  :peace:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Millipede

Well, let's bump that up to two. I'm also looking forward to the F/A-18... there's room for everyone in DCS.

Skoop

I don't know, I'd say il2 BOS is the best WWII sim out right now.  Going from il2 to Dcs wwii you can definatly tell the difference.  The flight models for DCS wwii seem so generic.  In il2 the flight models are Taylor made for prop aircraft, it seems more immersive.  The stall sequence in il2 is unique for each aircraft, in DCS it's seems cut and past....you pull too hard screen goes black.

Nefaro

Skoop

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 03, 2017, 12:53:45 PM
I haven't even bought the Viggen yet. I promised myself I wouldn't be buying anymore modules until they get releasing.

1.5 is still in beta and 2 is in godamn alpha!

I do hope I can hold out. The weak pound is helping me mind  O0

It does look sweet though

You should have grabbed the Viggen in the sale to past the time until the F-18.  The viggen is one of the best AC in dcs, definitely the most elegant to fly.  It's worth a look, unique weapon set and mission doctrine.  Plus the anti ship missiles it carries can pretty much blank any ship in the game.

jomni

Quote from: Skoop on July 07, 2017, 03:52:09 AM
I haven't even bought the Viggen yet. I promised myself I wouldn't be buying anymore modules until they get releasing.

You should have grabbed the Viggen in the sale to past the time until the F-18.  The viggen is one of the best AC in dcs, definitely the most elegant to fly.  It's worth a look, unique weapon set and mission doctrine.  Plus the anti ship missiles it carries can pretty much blank any ship in the game.

How does it fare in MP?

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on July 07, 2017, 05:10:44 AM
Quote from: Skoop on July 07, 2017, 03:52:09 AM

How does it fare in MP?

It's AtA fits in with the MiG-21 and F-5.  Sidewinders only.  Not great energy retention in sustained turning iirc.

Think the Cold War server added them.

Of course, if you wanna attempt being a sneaky low-level bomber, you could try that on the other servers.  But the F-15s, Su-27s, and MiG-29s will have a big advantage over you.  The Mirage 2k also, although to a lesser extent.

Skoop

The Dcs viggen variant is primarily a strike AC hence the ir missiles only.  The viggen has an interceptor variant but it's not the one in Dcs.  The appeal is the strike capability it provides, only AC in Dcs that carries JSOWs and smart anti shipping weaponry.
It's actually one of the easiest modules to learn basic flight ops because of the autopilot system.  The viggens appeal in mp is more pve ground pounding, it's definately not the AC for airquake servers.

The viggens main characteristic is that it flies 100ft off the ground at Mach 1.2to be undetectable, plaster a target in one pass, then high tail it home.  The swedes anticipated all thier Airfields being destroyed in the 1st hour of WWIII so they developed a mobile ils system to allow the viggens to operate from roads.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2017, 08:52:25 AM

lol Jar. I should have said at least 4 of my friends that I know of plus myself.
I like to think of us as the "silent majority", you know, the common man without the flying computers, the real pilots :P.... ok that was laid on a bit thick.
I am looking forward to the tomcat and the f18 personally.

I really do think DCS has the potential tol end up with superior everything for ww2. I don't see the same potential from games like BOS and il2 clod anymore. BOS has advanced a lot, but until they add an "earmuffs/in helmet" mode so I can hear the engine without my tinitus flaring up. I  won't know.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

Quote from: Skoop on July 06, 2017, 11:34:17 AM
I don't know, I'd say il2 BOS is the best WWII sim out right now.  Going from il2 to Dcs wwii you can definatly tell the difference.  The flight models for DCS wwii seem so generic.  In il2 the flight models are Taylor made for prop aircraft, it seems more immersive.  The stall sequence in il2 is unique for each aircraft, in DCS it's seems cut and past....you pull too hard screen goes black.

The screen going black has nothing to do with stalling though. That is the effect of over-G on the pilot suffering a blackout. DCS models this quite nicely, but in fact it feels arbitrary because there is no sensory input from your body when pulling to hard in the sim.

Stalling is when the airflow over the wing seperates and in effect the aircraft ceased to fly and turns into a brick plummeting to the earth.

The stall characteristics of the Mustang feel quite dynamic. The Spitfire feels less detailed, but the aircraft is still in early access, so that might be a reason. On the other hand it does sport the elliptical wing design which became famous for its relaxed stall characteristics. I haven't flown other WW2 birds yet in DCS.
The stall characteristics of the A-10C feel very dynamic as well, however.
This tells me the sim-engine is capable of very detailed simulation, perhaps the various flight models are limited at this point still.

Try flying the KA-50 or Mi-8 helicopter in a mountainous area in DCS with strong wind conditions. You'll be amazed at the feedback from the simulator.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

Quote from: Destraex on July 07, 2017, 10:29:00 PM

lol Jar. I should have said at least 4 of my friends that I know of plus myself.
I like to think of us as the "silent majority", you know, the common man without the flying computers, the real pilots :P.... ok that was laid on a bit thick.

I really do think DCS has the potential tol end up with superior everything for ww2. I don't see the same potential from games like BOS and il2 clod anymore. BOS has advanced a lot, but until they add an "earmuffs/in helmet" mode so I can hear the engine without my tinitus flaring up. I  won't know.
I'd like to think so too about dcs WWII, but after flying both sims...IL2 BOS kills dcs wwII on everything except the ease of editor and clickable cockpits.  DCS WWII has a long way to go to even be close to IL2 BOS. Many of us wish they hadn't even gone there because the modern setting is where DCS rocks.  If we hadn't had to sit through this WWII excursion, we probably all would be posting about how awesome it is to fly the F18 on the straights of Hormuz map.  I don't want to pile on too hard though cuz I did buy it.  I figured I'll get use out of the map for sure and I got a few planes for 12 bucks.  So what ever DCS does with WWII is just bonus, not really expecting much. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Skoop on July 08, 2017, 02:27:29 PM
Quote from: Destraex on July 07, 2017, 10:29:00 PM

I'd like to think so too about dcs WWII, but after flying both sims...IL2 BOS kills dcs wwII on everything except the ease of editor and clickable cockpits.  DCS WWII has a long way to go to even be close to IL2 BOS. Many of us wish they hadn't even gone there because the modern setting is where DCS rocks.  If we hadn't had to sit through this WWII excursion, we probably all would be posting about how awesome it is to fly the F18 on the straights of Hormuz map.  I don't want to pile on too hard though cuz I did buy it.  I figured I'll get use out of the map for sure and I got a few planes for 12 bucks.  So what ever DCS does with WWII is just bonus, not really expecting much.

I'm with Skoop on this.

DCS just can't stand up toIL-2:BoS, and it's add-ons, based on the Rise Of Flight engine (which is pretty awesome, too).

As you can tell in this recent Magz video featuring some damaged & low-speed Spit fighting:

I'm grateful that DCS has been doing modern jets & helos.  They're pretty much the only steady one in the full-sim business right now.  Which makes their foray into a different era, which is already being covered better and more efficiently elsewhere, needless.  It also continues to confirm my view that a small, but vocal, swath of people think WW2 should be shoe-horned into every game engine whether it fits or not.     :pullhair: