Main Menu

War of Rights

Started by IronX, October 17, 2015, 05:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: DennisS on October 18, 2015, 01:48:55 PM
Political correctness run amok. It wasn't a war of states rights..it was a war to keep slavery. I will stay away from this game, for this reason.

That like not seeing a movie just because of the political leanings of an actor
But to each his own
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

Geez, guys, lighten up already.   :(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on October 18, 2015, 07:02:44 PM
Geez, guys, lighten up already.   :(

Quite.  I keep politics and my hobbies separate for a reason. 

And at this point, games have run out of names anyway.  This might as well be called "Battle of Combat and Victory, War of Rebellion and States." 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

FarAway Sooner

I didn't agree with the tone of the post injecting politics in, but name-calling don't seem like the real response there.  I think the name of the game seems accurate--both sides were fighting around questions of rights, they were just different questions!

Jarhead0331

Is this going to become another butt hurt thread? I mean seriously...its a game...with an ambiguous title at best...and to inject politics into it at the risk of offending a large segment of the members who post here, its totally uncalled for and ridiculous. If you can accuse the entire South of fighting a war over Slavery because of an ambiguously titled game and proclaim that you will refuse to purchase it on that basis, than you qualify for being called a loser.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Freyland

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 19, 2015, 10:34:03 AM
I mean seriously...its a game...with an ambiguous title at best...and to inject politics into it at the risk of offending a large segment of the members who post here, its totally uncalled for and ridiculous.

It seems to me that you could have just said this the first time, and fewer people would be looking at you funny right now.  Heck, they might even be nodding to themselves.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Freyland on October 19, 2015, 10:57:56 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 19, 2015, 10:34:03 AM
I mean seriously...its a game...with an ambiguous title at best...and to inject politics into it at the risk of offending a large segment of the members who post here, its totally uncalled for and ridiculous.

It seems to me that you could have just said this the first time, and fewer people would be looking at you funny right now.  Heck, they might even be nodding to themselves.

People are always going to look at me funny, regardless of what I say. I've come to terms with that fact.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Actually JH said what many of us were thinking, he just had the balls to post it.  Leave the political correctness out of the civil war and just study the conflict as it is.

Freyland

Quote from: Skoop on October 19, 2015, 11:04:24 AM
Actually JH said what many of us were thinking, he just had the balls to post it.  Leave the political correctness out of the civil war and just study the conflict as it is.
Peachy.  Per my post, that wasn't the issue.  In fact, no balls required.

Jack Nastyface

I have mixed feelings about this one...from a GAMEPLAY perspective.
On the one hand, I LOVE playing military themed FPS games, and have played many dozens over the years.  I also love the "black-powder" era, so I always thought that mixing the two - FPS and blackpowder - would be a personal geek / gaming dream come true.  Unfortunately, reality has show me different.  Over the years, I have tried a number of FPS blackpowder era games (going way back, there was a Napoleonic war mod for Operation Flashpoint, a Rev War mod for team fortress?, and a couple of mods for Warband) and none of have really provided a compelling gaming experience.
If this game is able to provide some unique "advantages" in this (maybe by doing something like providing increased fire accuracy when firing from line, etc) then maybe this might be interesting.  As it stands, though, I am expecting this game will be much like the others:  advance to range; fire at guy zig-zagging to avoid getting hit; miss; start to reload; then get killed by bayonet from a now-sprinting opponent.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

IronX

I would imagine that unless players are part of a unit that plays together regularly, there is little to stop the gameplay from devolving into a pack of individuals doing their own thing despite the commander having the ability to give placement orders such as Form a Line.

Jarhead0331

There is an old fps called Darkest of Days, which has the player traveling in time to fight in some history's greatest battles. There was some civil war combat that I recall being quite good. At least, it was better than anything that has come before or after...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

IronX

I remember playing a board game back in the early 80s with the same theme. You could be fighting Romans in one mission and dinosaurs in the next. Anyway, those screens look pretty good. At least there's more than half a dozen men on the map.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

IronX

Yeah, that was it! I really enjoyed it.