Super-hurricane Dorian

Started by JasonPratt, September 01, 2019, 12:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Now up to 185mph sustained winds at the core (with a huge eye wall, the largest I can personally recall), Dorian now ties for the strongest Atlantic hurricane on modern record. It's basically an EF-4 tornado now, except ridiculously huge, and continuing all the time. Gusts are expected to exceed 220mph.

Made landfall at one of the northwestern Bahama islands earlier today (Sept 1). Original expectations were that it would grind across Florida and out into the Gulf, where it might have strengthened again and hit the NO/Biloxi/Mobile area. Current projections suggest it's going to grind northward up the coast of Florida, with the eye standing off to reduce power slowly, and work its way up the coast of the southeastern states. It might still be a hurricane by the time it reaches Virginia or even DC! The only good news in this projection is that, so far as the eye stands off the coast, winds on the coast will be reduced somewhat (only a constant EF-2 tornado hundreds of miles across, not EF-4.  <:-) :hide: ) The bad news is that this means the storm surge could be very bad and ongoing.

Disaster relief teams have been gearing up for a while, but they're going to be spread awfully thin if Dorian takes its projected path; and who knows what will be left of the outer Bahamas or how soon help will arrive there.

(Ironically, "Dorian" comes from the Greek term {dorean}, which means freely-given. That's usually a good thing, but not in this case!)

I figured we should have a thread for anyone wanting to discuss conditions and relief efforts, maybe also for Grogs in the path of the storm.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

This storm's growth is amazing. It went from tropical storm to Category 5 in just a few days! Last week Accuweather was running stories on how quiet this hurricane season has been...mostly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I was thinking the same thing: with relatively few storms out there sucking up the energy, the first serious storm to come along would be just awful.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

88mmkwk

My son is in med school in West Palm Beach, and he had planned on riding it out initially.  But with the recent course change and gaining strength to Cat 5, common sense prevailed and he drove this morning to Fort Meyers to stay with some other classmates...

Dorian is not something to be taken lightly - this storm is a beast!   :o
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Gusington

Ordinarily med school in West Palm Beach sounds quite choice 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

With its maximum sustained winds of 185 mph (295 kph), it tied the record for the most powerful Atlantic hurricane ever to come ashore, equaling the Labor Day hurricane of 1935, before the storms were named.

https://apnews.com/aa6329cd86a64189a66e275db0885e49

Interesting almost coincidence. ???

Stay safe all.  I've got a sister in the Charleston, SC area.  I'm hoping Dorian goes east.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Good luck all of you who may be in the path. Stay safe!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

solops

I want to go on record as being AGAINST hurricane Dorian. I plan to demand that Congress officially censure Dorian and pass a law banning it from our shores. Let the Democrats call this racism, I shall remain firm. As a Texan I am no stranger to these vile, foreign storms and it is long past time that the government took firm action to secure our borders against them. Everyone, prepare and be safe.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

MrsWargamer

Dorian is going to be nasty.

But keep this in mind. This is Sept 01 and it is NOT the end of hurricane season. That happens in November.

Dorian likely won't be the last of it.
Just killin pixels and cardboard

Staggerwing

Quote from: MrsWargamer on September 01, 2019, 05:05:39 PM
Dorian is going to be nasty.

But keep this in mind. This is Sept 01 and it is NOT the end of hurricane season. That happens in November.

Dorian likely won't be the last of it.

Too true.  :(

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

em2nought

Quote from: solops on September 01, 2019, 03:55:04 PM
I want to go on record as being AGAINST hurricane Dorian. I plan to demand that Congress officially censure Dorian and pass a law banning it from our shores. Let the Democrats call this racism, I shall remain firm. As a Texan I am no stranger to these vile, foreign storms and it is long past time that the government took firm action to secure our borders against them. Everyone, prepare and be safe.

This is what open borders will get you.  ;)
Stolen elections have consequences.

Sir Slash

Looks like Florida's new strategy to turn away hurricanes has worked. When the storm got close, everybody in the whole state went outside and played Polka music at Dorian real loud. Now the storm has gone north but, all the yankees in Wisconsin and Michigan heard the music too and are headed south. So... about 50/50 I'd say.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Strengthened back up to a Category 3 this morning! -- hanging off the coast whapping South and now North Carolina with its arms, while it slowly dawdles along.