How to record live audio stream to CD?

Started by steve58, May 03, 2016, 11:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Going to be heading south Saturday to see Mom for Mothers Day and would like to listen to some talk radio on the drive.  The shows air live during the week so I was wondering if anyone knew an (easy) way to capture the audio to my PC as mp3 file(s) and then burn them to a CD.  TIA!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

DoctorQuest

What OS are you using?

I do this A LOT under Windows XP but good, old, MS made it more difficult under Win 7. I don't know why but win 7 will not let an audio recording program pick up audio streams from the browser. I run dual boot these days so I still have that functionality.

There are probably some free recording software packages out there but I use a product called Super MP3 Recorder to produce MP3 files from internet audio streams. Then I use the free burnaware program to create audio CDs.

The problem with Windows Sound Recorder is that it does not produce MP3 files. Go figure.....

I hope you can figure something out.

I don't suppose any of your talk shows do podcasts, do they?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Pete Dero

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems

Features

Record live audio
    Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine
    Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs
    Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files
    AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using optional libraries
    Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together
    Numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording

Because of software patents, Audacity cannot include MP3 encoding software or distribute such software from its own websites. Instead, use the following instructions to download and install the free and recommended LAME third-party encoder to export MP3 files with Audacity.  You can get it here : http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#lame

bayonetbrant

If you're creating M4A files (AACs) then those will burn to audio CD for your car just as good as MP3s and you can skip the MP3 steps

If you're running them thru an MP3 player or a data CD, then you need Pete's last paragraph, above
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

steve58

Thx guys.  Just downloaded Audacity (and FFmpeg which was needed to export/create the M4A file) and did a quick test.  Grabbed a few minutes from the radio/internet and it worked...at least on my PC.  Will try a longer test tomorrow and try to burn a CD.  Thanks again...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

This morning I burned a small audio sample file (.m4a) to a CD and tried it out in my car...and it worked!  Didn't want to just go the .mp3 conversion route before trying out the .m4a.  I was guessing the .m4a file would NOT work as the CD player (original equipment) is in a 2001 Honda Accord EX and I was figuring/guessing the .m4A format came along well after 2000/2001. 

So I went ahead and stream-grabbed most of a 3 hr talk show today using Audacity.  The audio capture ended up around 3.5GB :o which was quite a bit more than I thought it would be, but after exporting the show to .m4a , it ended up around 230MB.

So, thanks again guys O0