Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by Pete Dero, October 04, 2019, 12:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 08, 2019, 01:28:24 PM
^This is the kind of info I am looking for. That sounds...incredible.

Sadly it's the weakest part of the game. 

That might however just be a testament to how strong the other parts of the game are comparatively. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

You're toying with my emotions!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

Weapons - all old West historical? i thought I saw an automatic in one screenshot. If so, I want Desert Eagle 44 mag, not the 50 cal.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

Original game had a super-obsolete pistol (the Volcano) as one of the better guns, and a rifle that wasn't invented until 1914 (game is set in 1911), plus another rifle that would have been a lot rarer in Western America than the game suggests. (Like, maybe one collector-piece in the whole area, not something anyone could buy from the local market with enough cash.) It pushes the limits. There's also a pistol that merges a Browning Hi-power with something else for a fictional piece, which is odd because Colt 1911 should have been available (if very expensive).

The devs do try to provide period-appropriate pieces which make sense for the setting. Gatlings are the only machine guns for example, even though by 1911 others were probably available.

No idea yet about RDR2 which is set in 1899.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Quote from: solops on November 11, 2019, 06:08:19 PM
Weapons - all old West historical? i thought I saw an automatic in one screenshot. If so, I want Desert Eagle 44 mag, not the 50 cal.

Apparently there's an "M1899" which is based on the Browning M1900.  Is that what you're thinking of?  I've actually never seen the gun in-game, it seems to be pretty rare.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

1899 eh? Is there any type of steampunk aesthetic?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on November 11, 2019, 09:51:00 PM
1899 eh? Is there any type of steampunk aesthetic?

I've seen a mod where somebody turned themselves into a tinman-esque steam powered robot  ;D

In the vanilla game though, no, the aesthetic and feel is strictly historical.  The locations on the game map are made up, but with an authentic feel like you're in different parts of the American deep south in 1899, and with references to real places like California and New York City so it feels grounded in the real world.  As far as I can tell, everything in the game represents something that authentically existed in 1899.  Aside from those fantastical easter eggs people have mentioned of course, but you'll generally only find those if you're looking for them.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 11, 2019, 07:06:05 PM

The devs do try to provide period-appropriate pieces which make sense for the setting. Gatlings are the only machine guns for example, even though by 1911 others were probably available.

No idea yet about RDR2 which is set in 1899.

Machine guns in RDR2 are present in the game, especially in the hands of the hyper-anachronistic Confederate Holdout Lemoyne Raiders.  They're of the Maxim type.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mbar

Quote from: al_infierno on November 11, 2019, 09:32:48 PM

Apparently there's an "M1899" which is based on the Browning M1900.  Is that what you're thinking of?  I've actually never seen the gun in-game, it seems to be pretty rare.

DAM! That is detailed!

bboyer66

The amount of detail that goes into everything is just mind boggling. The only equivalent I would say is The Witcher III in the amount of detail.

You can really gussy up your weapons with a myriad of options, from different metals, engravings, woods, etc.

Oh by the way, one of the most entertaining things I did was hunt legendary animals for the cool hats, and outfits their pelts make.

solops

Quote from: al_infierno on November 11, 2019, 09:32:48 PM

Yes, this is the pic that sparked my question. I thought the game was more 1870 to 1890.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bboyer66

al_infierno

Word of warning for anybody still on the fence about picking this up on PC.  https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dwjp1t/i_think_ive_just_made_a_discovery_about_a_big/

Short version:

Core drain rate and weight loss rate is directly and incorrectly bound to whatever fps the game is running at.

Reason why this is a problem - Arthur will be at his lowest weight very fast no matter what you do if yo have a high fps and your cores will always be low.

It seems that the problem is the game classes frames as actual units of time passing so at a high fps of 120 the code treats 1 day as technically 4 days long. Even if you limit your fps to a steady 60 Arthur will need to eat twice as much as he would on consoles to not become massively underweight.

Not a game-breaking bug by any means, but it's certainly immersion breaking.  I did notice that my Arthur seemed to be rapidly losing weight every day despite how much I ate.  I've never had a problem with my cores dropping lightning fast as described in the post, which would be more annoying as they basically represent your health, stamina, etc.

- MengJiao