Descent Co-Op Expansions

Started by Nefaro, September 24, 2014, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

So I've been putting off getting Descent for quite awhile now, although I have a weakness for dungeon crawlers featuring loot & ability card customization, and special dice.  But since it was just a one versus many situation, I was slow to come around.  The D&D boardgames are a bit light in spots for my preference, so this is a step up in detail?

Yet they recently released a small Co-Op expansion, with another on the way.  Even though I'm overloaded with stuff on my "To Do" list, this really knocked me off the fence. 

While I can get more use out of Co-Op scenarios, both for easier teaching to new players and wonderfully relaxing solitaire play (yay!),  I still may be interested in picking up an older expansion or two for crushing puny Robbers (aka "Heroes") underhoof.  Any recommendations on which are the better expansions?  I've seen mention that some have more room tiles, and therefore accompanying content, than others even between the "big box" expansions.  There are so many, I'm a bit lost.

Ugh..   yet more hordes of minis to paint.   I need to find a good speed painting technique and get it perfected soon.  I have approximately 400-500 characters, monsters, starships, and aircraft that I want to paint right now.   Not counting the another couple hundred shinies on pre-order that will arrive sometime in the next six months.   What have I got myself into?!  :o

Nefaro

Even though I've picked up the first two little single run co-op expansions, this user created variant looks like it provides far more flexibility for playing the droves of Descent campaign scenarios with it's automated Overlord:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104973/redjaks-automated-overlord-variant

The custom cards for Overlord monster activation is really the key part of it, and probably the type of thing the people at FFG should've done when doing Co-op.  His latest version (v3) really streamlined the cards over the previous one, too.  O0

Anyone tried this yet?