Predestination Update

Started by RedArgo, November 03, 2014, 08:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

I'm also a Kickstarter backer.  Just got an email that the 3D Ship Designer update has been released.  Been a while since I've played any.  Would try it this weekend, but its the wife's and my anniversary.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

solops

Predestination has had several updates recently and is starting to look filled out. I think anyone who has it should take a look at the current build (0.9.5.5). They are getting close to 1.0.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

mikeck

Is the game still using the gray hexagon prices as placeholders for various buildings?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

panzerde

As a KS backer, I'm pretty sure that my money has gone to keeping a handful of Irish kids in beer and fish and chips for a couple of years on this one. I gave up expecting to see any sort of real game out of it a long time ago.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

I did as well. I could just never get it to feel like I was playing a game with turns as much as I was simu pushing the clock hands around by hitting end turn. So little happened each turn that I found myself clicking end turn repetedly dozens of times in a row waiting for a scanner to explore or a technology to be discovered. Shouldn't be like that. Turns should encompass weeks, not an hour or so.

Anyhow, it did have some cool stuff. I liked multiple cities on the same planet and such. I'm going to try it again and hope for the best
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

solops

The current version was 0.9.5.2....my bad. A hotfix came out today bringing it up to 0.9.5.3.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Current Development Blurb - and note that all of the "We'd like to add by 1.0" HAVE been added except for the last 7. The proper crossed out formatting just did not copy over.
----------------------------

Development Tracker Thread
Hey guys,

We're going to use this thread to keep everyone updated on the development of Predestination. Below is a list of major and minor features that we would like to implement before we can hit Version 1.0, and information on what we're working on right now! If you have any thoughts on development or what features you think should take priority over others, leave a comment and let us know. Please also let us know if you think there are features we've forgotten to include in this list.

Current Major Version: v0.9.5.X

Currently In Development: v0.9.5.5 (Spying Update):
Below is a summary of what we're working on right now in addition to our normal bugfixing and iteration based on your feedback: Last updated 09 Sept 2016.

Spying: Spying has been previously relegated to a free update after release, but we've decided to move it to the main release owing to increased competition in the space 4X genre and the need to make sure the game is as good as it can be for release. Players will be able to drop spies onto enemy cities from orbit and then select various missions for them to attempt. Each mission carries a chance of the spy being caught or killed. More details on the spy system are forthcoming.
Status: In Progress (█████░░░░░ 50%) (Game Design complete, mechanics implemented. UI still to implement.)

Artwork scheduled for future releases (as and when complete):
Ship Models: Kazzir - Ship parts and designs for the Kazzir humanoid race.
Ship Models: Starforged - Ship parts and designs for the Starforged robotic race.
Ship Models: Revenant - Ship parts and designs for the Revenant race.
Ship Models: Sauros - Ship parts and designs for the Sauros reptilian race.
Final Building Model Batch: - Several building and infrastructure models (such as those for race-specific buildings) still need to be completed.

Major features we would like to add by v1.0*:
Tax settings
Ground combat & planet capturing
Empire Age options
Low morale and loyalty planet events
Trade Routes
Freighters (Feature cancelled, rolled into trade routes)
Diplomacy (Coercions, Threats, War AI, and Memory system still to come)
Race Stats & finished race screen
3D Ship Designer & racial ship part models
Ship captains and colony leaders
Fully directed tutorial for 4X newcomers
Wormholes
Planet specials
Warp-capable missiles
Temporal Rifts and Revenant attacks (random events)
Finished building and infrastructure models (final batch in progress)
More technologies in Tech Era 3: First Contact
Tech Era 4: Galactic Domination
Tech Tree: Synergies
Victory conditions (End sequence artwork still to complete)
First episodic story mode mission
Challenge maps
User interface dropdown menus (~3 completed)
Finished ship part models for all races (3 completed, 3 in progress)
Fleet Combat in space (not at planets)
Kickstarter backer content
Spying (Moved from after release to main release due to high demand)

Features we'd like to add after release*:
The following is a list of major features that we'd like to get into the final release of Predestination or to add later in a free update.
Multiplayer gameplay (online & LAN)
Detailed modding support
Space Monsters

*Note: As per the Steam Early Access guidelines, please be aware that our development plans are always subject to change, and we are not promising that specific features will definitely be added in the future. This thread is intended to keep track of what we're working on right now, and what features we'd like to add before release.

Cheers,
-- Brendan, Lead Developer
Last edited by Nyphur; Sep 15 @ 2:17am

steve58

Update 0.9.6.9 just dropped:

The patch (V0.9.6.9) is now released and the patch notes have been posted in the Development Tracker thread. They're pretty long, but the headline features are:

Singleplayer Missions fully implemented (first mission will be released ideally this weekend)
Mission Modding is implemented by default, as we built the system from the ground up to be 100% moddable and load everything from flat files.

The Health/Security/Morale system has been rolled back to the previous version and then we iterated on that design. The result should make a lot more sense and be much easier to manage, but let me know if you have any comments on it.

Robotic races have got a bit of an overhaul! They now get the ability to build Seed Ships, which are colony ships with no FTL drive. The forge patches are also now all toggleable options that consume energy/turn to run rather than something you manually activate. And there are a several new Robotic-exclusive technologies to replace the remaining organic and food related techs in their tech trees.

Random events such as Revenant Attacks, Legendary Commanders, and Temporal Rifts now operate on a timer, so they're a lot less random and more predictable. Revenant attacks can also be switched off on the galaxy creation screen.

A ton of smaller changes, some UI improvements, and a ton of bug-fixes.

V0.9.7.0 will basically just activate the first singleplayer mission, which is currently being tested and having the last of its dialogue finished. This should be out this weekend if all goes well!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/340210/discussions/0/133258593399683040/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

Glad to see another major update is imminent.  Wonder if this will be out in time for summer? 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

solops

A huge update has been put out for Predestination, marking its move from alpha to beta.

"We've just released our massive V1.0 update, which marks the point where we're officially leaving alpha and entering beta. That means we've finished all the gameplay features and it's unlikely we'll make any major gameplay changes from this point on. Instead we'll be focusing on smaller gameplay improvements and iterations, bug fixing, balance changes, and UI changes. We'll be asking for focused feedback on certain topics on the forum to help guide us through beta and on to final release.

The headline features of this update include a complete engine overhaul (including switching from XNA 3.1 to Monogame), 64-bit support, massive optimisations, a near total overhaul of the Tactical Fleet Combat gameplay, our first Challenge Map, a score system for both singleplayer missions and sandbox games, and Fleet Combat in space (not at a planet). We've also added support for some new graphics options, smoother animations, better explosions, new nebulae in fleet combat, a bunch of new building models, and a ton of bug fixes."

Check the Steam page for details.

Geezer

I thought the game might be based on the movie called Predestination.  Great movie that gives a whole new meaning to "go *&^% yourself".   ;D
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

solops

New patch 1.3.0.0 is out:

Patch Notes for Update V1.3.0.0 (Build ID 3804607)
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick apology for the delay in getting this update to you. We've been working with a number of people on some very rare but persistent crashes and bugs since launch, and that pushed back the story mission deployment by just over a month while we got everything in order. The United Colonies mission is now live, and the new schedule for further missions is the Renegade and Starforged mission dropping this month and the Sauros mission dropping at the start of June. Full details of this update and the plan ahead will be published this weekend, along with responses to recent questions and suggestions.

Story mission content:
Implemented Story Mission: The Colonies Unite (Live now). This mission tells the story of the United Colonies and their encounters with Revenant technology. After finding ancient ruins on Earth and uncovering encrypted data blocks from an ancient civilisation, the United Colonies of Earth take to the stars in search of similar energy signatures.
Implemented Story Mission: Renegade Republic (Script undergoing final revisions, will go live this month).
Implemented Story Mission: We Are Starforged (In testing, will go live this month).
Implemented new mission options (will be useful in future for anyone modding). We can now tell the mission to limit the number of ancient ruins or crashed ships on each planet and we can adjust the spawn probability.

Gameplay changes:
The research bonuses given to AI as part of the difficulty setup are now fairer. This should stop the AI always getting ahead of you in tech.
Larger AI research bonuses in higher difficulty settings will make them more of a challenge for advanced players.
Several other AI tweaks have been made to make the game fairer in the early stages.
The Galactic Council vote now takes place on the planet of the vote initiator, not the council leader. This feels more natural as you can see whose idea the vote was.
The Galactic Council vote animation has been speed up by a factor of 4. While it was atmospheric to have a drawn out vote, this is much more convenient.
The "Planetary Infrastructure:" section on the planet screen now says "Infrastructure: (14 / 18 built)" to let you know how many open slots you have
Reaching the First Contact research tier now automatically puts you in contact with the nearest alien civilisation if you haven't met anyone already. The message that pops up when you reach that tier now explains this.

Bugfixes:
Fixed a serious bug causing Ancient Ruins and Crashed Ships to be deleted when you colonise certain planets.
Fixed a bug with Ancient Ruins and Crashed Ships not yielding technologies outside the homeworld.
Fixed ship design saving in computers that use commas as the thousands separator.
Fixed a bug where the Singleplayer mission UI could appear on the Diplomacy screen, covering up the screen.
Fixed an issue where ships would always be named for the filename they were loaded under rather than the name stored in it.
Solved a long-standing crash with loading in models. This seemed to happen to a few Steam users and a few people using the DRM-free download, but should now be fixed.
Solved issue where the shipyard screen could remain open in the background accidentally when using the Planet dropdown menu to switch planets, causing a number of issues.
Fixed a bug in the Galactic Council where races would accidentally vote the reverse of what they should have. They now correctly vote in favour of things proposed by allies and against things proposed by those at war with them.
It's no longer possible to zoom down into a city or infrastructure while placing roads using the Advanced Roads feature or placing a small infrastructure. This should stop you from accidentally clicking to zoom in, and fixes a relatively common crash.
When typing in a popup box, the keyboard is disabled for the rest of the game, so the map won't turn when typing WASD
When a popup is open, the mouse is now disabled for everything except the buttons you're supposed to click. This prevents accidental click-through in a wide variety of cases.
Fixed a bug where the game could get stuck thinking the radial menu is open and stop the planet screen hex highlight under the mouse from working.
Fixed DrawTooltipCity crash.
Fixed a map generation crash in games without the Revenant homeworld (only possible in story mode)
Fixed a number of broken text characters in the diplomacy dialogue.
Revenant technology is now correctly recognised internally as Revenant tech. This affects the AI in some ways and caused a complication in implementing the United Colonies mission.
Removed Libnoise library dependency, as this could cause a potential crash on certain systems.
Fixed a crash that could happen if your first fight with a ship after starting the game was a temporal rift.