Predestination Update

Started by RedArgo, November 03, 2014, 08:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedArgo

I like the idea of specialized planets, instead of the every planet does everything eventually because there is no reason not to.

Good to see they recognize deficiencies in the UI, hopefully they can make that better.  I've been playing Endless Legend a bit lately and the UI is so easy to get around and find what you're looking for.

I'm hoping for a 2-d galaxy map option too, I just don't like the 3-d maps.  I'm not sure if they've mentioned this one way or the other.

Martok

Quote from: RedArgo on June 04, 2015, 10:05:28 AM
I like the idea of specialized planets, instead of the every planet does everything eventually because there is no reason not to.
Same here.  Planet/colony specialization means having to make difficult choices, which I like.  It also means that taking certain planets from another race can be a viable strategy in wartime. 

Quote from: RedArgo on June 04, 2015, 10:05:28 AM
I'm hoping for a 2-d galaxy map option too, I just don't like the 3-d maps.  I'm not sure if they've mentioned this one way or the other.
I know the original plan was to include the option for 2-D maps as well, yes (see here).  So unless something has changed since then, you should get your wish.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Some of the currently implemented features look juicy.

If it goes on sale, I'll buy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

Holy crap.  A new developer update is out, this time focusing on diplomacy: 

http://predestinationgame.com/2015/07/16/dev-update-the-full-plan-for-diplomacy-in-predestination/

I'm actually somewhat worried, as it sounds like he might be biting off way more than he can chew.  If he can pull it off, though (which is a big "if" IMO), Predestination's diplomacy system would be vastly superior to that of most other strategy games out there.  Keeping my fingers crossed! 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

bbmike

I'm also hopeful, but after so many let downs not too hopeful.  :( I'm still looking for that 'Holy Grail' TBS game that actually has good diplomacy in it. Thanks for the link, Martok!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

You're welcome, bbmike!  Yeah, we've seen a fair bit of mediocrity and some downright duds the last few years, but I still remain hopeful.  Overall, it's a good time to be a 4x gamer, and we have seen some decent (and even a couple great) titles in addition the bad/"meh" ones.  Keeping my fingers crossed that Predestination ends up being ahead of the curve... 

mikeck

Thinking of taking the plunge here...anyone playing this currently? Anybody shelve it for some reason?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

I have my eye on it, but I still feel like it still has too far to go. I was hoping you would take the plunge and report back.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RedArgo

I played a couple months ago, but there is just too much missing to decide if it is turning out well.  I'm hopeful though.

mikeck

Ok. Plan: wait until the next patch that drops in the diplomacy. I will take the plunge and dive in. As far as reporting, I'm a notorious giddy fanboi. I actually liked x:rebirth and Rome 2 at release. I can't be trusted

mikeck

Review: wait on this one...missing too much to do anything really

bbmike

Quote from: mikeck on August 13, 2015, 03:03:18 PM

Sad to hear. It's been like that for quite a while now it seems.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Quote from: bbmike on August 13, 2015, 03:58:53 PM
Quote from: mikeck on August 13, 2015, 03:03:18 PM

Sad to hear. It's been like that for quite a while now it seems.

They are getting there. Just don't seem to be updating as quickly as other devs

panzerde

I'm a Kickstarter backer on this, but haven't bothered to even download the betas for several months now. It was pretty far away from a playable state the last time I did try it, and none of the developer's postings since have convinced me that they're all that much closer.

The idea was good enough to get me to kick in at the beginning, and I think they'll eventually release a playable game. I'm not convinced that they haven't bitten off more then they can chew, however.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres