Consolidated Soccer Thread 14-15

Started by TheCommandTent, August 08, 2014, 08:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

The EPL starts August 16th!!!!!

Just in time for the return of Coach Lasso:

Best line:

"I think I literally have a better understanding of who killed Kennedy then I do what is off-sides."
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

The end of this story is that great feeling that sports can give you

http://grantland.com/features/deandre-yedlin-world-cup-2014-newfound-fame-transfer-to-european-club-mls-soccer/#fn-2

don't just jump to the end, though - you need to read the whole thing
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 13, 2014, 07:52:34 AM
The end of this story is that great feeling that sports can give you

http://grantland.com/features/deandre-yedlin-world-cup-2014-newfound-fame-transfer-to-european-club-mls-soccer/#fn-2

don't just jump to the end, though - you need to read the whole thing

Great article, especially the cautioning against getting to excited by a player to soon.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

TheCommandTent

Looks like Yedlin is going to Tottenham

QuoteTottenham Hotspur have reached an agreement for the transfer of United States international DeAndre Yedlin from the Seattle Sounders, the Premier League club announced on Wednesday.

Yedlin, 21, signed a 4-year deal but will remain with the Sounders on loan at least through the end of the Major League Soccer season in December. Tottenham said he would join the London club ahead of the 2015-16 season.

Spurs will pay MLS a $4 million transfer fee, according to ESPN's Taylor Twellman, 75 percent of which will go to the Sounders because of Yedlin's status of a homegrown player.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/1984357/tottenham-announce-transfer-of-seattle-sounders-deandre-yedlin

TheCommandTent

So who else will be parked in front of the TV tomorrow morning for this. (At least in the US)

bayonetbrant

I will be for a little while, but Bayonet Jr has a tournament tomorrow afternoon and we have a Great Dane Rescue event in the morning. So that limits how much watching I get to do this weekend
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 15, 2014, 11:36:14 AM
I will be for a little while, but Bayonet Jr has a tournament tomorrow afternoon and we have a Great Dane Rescue event in the morning. So that limits how much watching I get to do this weekend

Bummer.  Good luck to Jr at the tourney.

TheCommandTent

bayonetbrant

And ManU is already losing!   w00t!

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 16, 2014, 07:32:21 AM
And ManU is already losing!   w00t!

And they lost!! What a great start to the season!!!!

TheCommandTent

A sloppy win for Arsenal but we will take it!

TheCommandTent

How did the tournament go Brant??

I had my teams 1st preseason practice last night.  Lots of rust to knock off and conditioning to do but I'm exited to be coaching another season!  I have a freshman who is very talented and plays for an elite club team in the state.  While I am exited to she came out I found out last night it is going to be a fight between me and her club coach on practices.  They don't have any games during our season but he doesn't even want her even playing for a highschool team and just to train with his older team.  That is going to be an interesting one to figure out.

bayonetbrant

1-0-1

It wasn't a true tournament, just a day full of "friendlies"

The real tournament is this weekend.  4 games, all round-robin.  All winnable and with their actual coach back.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2014, 06:48:33 AM
1-0-1

It wasn't a true tournament, just a day full of "friendlies"

The real tournament is this weekend.  4 games, all round-robin.  All winnable and with their actual coach back.

Sounds good.  I always loved playing in tournaments when I was playing for my club team during middle and high school.  Now that I am coaching they are a bit stressful but still fun for the team :)

bayonetbrant

you know what a triangle has that ManU doesn't?

3 points

:)