Sprite making for Dom4

Started by W8taminute, January 22, 2014, 10:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Well my google-fu is weak today so I figured I'd post my question here in the hopes that one of the Dominions gods can answer.  I've been thinking of creating a mod for Dominions ever since I started playing Dom3.  Now that I have Dom4 and am absolutely in love with the game I want to think about making a mod for Dom4.

My problem is this.  I will not start a project unless I can make my own sprites.  The idea I have requires making all new sprites from scratch.  I can't lift any components out of the existing game or the sprite dump. 

Are there any tutorials out there on how to make a sprite from scratch for Dom4?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

undercovergeek

i think paint or gimp will do you - i would imagine you could use a few generic images from Dom 4 and then amend them

Yskonyn

For sprite creation there is no better program than ProMotion 6!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

W8taminute

^Perfect!  I downloaded the trial version and was able to create a simple gif image after watching the youtube quick tutorial.  Great program.  I'm going to play around with it some more and see if this accomplishes what I need.  Together with Gimp I think I can make some sprites now!

As an example I included a simple sprite that I lifted out of HOI2.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

happyfungi

There is an excellent step by step sprite making tutorial on the old dom 3 shrapnel server done by burnsabre who is very good.  I don't have the link on hand but it is pretty easy to find if you look around.  I am pretty sure it is the modding subsection, in one of the stickies at the top.

Yskonyn

Quote from: W8taminute on January 22, 2014, 06:58:04 PM
^Perfect!  I downloaded the trial version and was able to create a simple gif image after watching the youtube quick tutorial.  Great program.  I'm going to play around with it some more and see if this accomplishes what I need.  Together with Gimp I think I can make some sprites now!

As an example I included a simple sprite that I lifted out of HOI2.

That sprite looks sweet!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."