Comparing the different versions of 3R / A3R from AH to AP to LNLP

Started by bayonetbrant, August 03, 2017, 09:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Splitting from the thread over in #TBT

The AH version was playable, but always seemed a little predictable, unless you were able to get the minor powers into play to shift things around.

I've heard mixed things, tho more bad than good, about the Avalanche version - GJK can probably weigh in on that one.  I did like the graphics updates for the Avalanche version.

The new LNLP version will be interesting to see.

What are your thoughts on the differences, and what would you like to see 'fixed' or tweaked or changed in the upcoming LNLP version?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Is the Avalanche version A3R? I thought is was an updated version of Third Reich. It looks like total eye candy, but I'm sceptical of ordering anything from Avalanche.

Very much looking forward to LnLs new version.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Some edition of R&Fot3R is available on TTS, I noticed. Not A3R (yet).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

A3R was still AH I believe. The Avalanche version was John Prados' (original designer of 3R for AH) Third Reich, and has a bucket of dice combat system.

I'm also looking forward to the LnLP version.. or versions... one version is to be a Card Game  :o. John Prados is working with LnLP for both versions. Pretty big coup for LnLP.

Barthheart

Interesting fact is that John Prados' Third Reich is not listed on Avalanche Press' website any longer....

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on August 03, 2017, 10:40:38 AM
Interesting fact is that John Prados' Third Reich is not listed on Avalanche Press' website any longer....

I noticed that too.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

I think it's been out of print for some time there... which maybe the reason Prados went looking for another publisher...
Great Pacific War is still there though...

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on August 03, 2017, 10:47:13 AM
I think it's been out of print for some time there... which maybe the reason Prados went looking for another publisher...
Great War in the Pacific is still there though...

Yeah, it's still listed on the site (as Very Temporarily Unavailable) but without Prados' name.

This game has more iterations than Gus has special socks  :crazy2:

mirth

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get the GMT version of A3R/Rising Sun. Though it's a long way from making it on P500.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-644-a-world-at-war-3rd-printing.aspx

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on August 03, 2017, 10:47:13 AM
Great Pacific War is still there though...

Or, they knew the deal w/ him was expiring and b/c he hadn't signed a new one, they let it go.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

I own but have never played (for whatever reason) A3R (and correct, still AH at that point).

I enjoy JP3R (Avalanche Press) though it got a very bad rap when first released 1) for it's horribly written rules and 2) because the mounted board that comes with it has a) hexes that are way too small and the board gets very crowded and b) because nobody even noticed that there's an extra hexgrid super-imposed on the map in Eastern Russia before they started to print it (i.e, likely not even proofed).  It does feature a BoD (Bucket of Dice) combat resolution system which I don't mind too terribly usually but in this game, infantry hits on a 6 while armor hits on a 5 or 6 and defenders hit on a 5 or 6 with infantry or a 4, 5 or 6 with armor when they roll meaning that you have to roll separate "buckets" for each type of unit participating in the attack/defense.  I created a percentile dice system that takes the probabilities of a hit (depending on what you hit with on a d6) and converted it to a percentage which let's you roll just a pair of (percentile) dice vs buckets of d6's.  That chart is on BGG for those interested.

Once AP reworked the rules into the 3rd edition and released a "deluxe" map (larger hexes with errata) it suddenly became a very viable gaming option.  I also created my own "deluxe" version which I feel is much less busy and offers a cleaner look while making distingishing countries and territories easier.  I have that on my dropbox for anybody interested.

As is typical with AP, I think that their counter artwork is some of the best around but the map was always questionable.

AP released a number of variants for the game and you can still find them buried on their website last I checked but you almost need to google your way into it.  That offers a lot of replayability though you'll come way off-script for historic WW2 ETO; though that might be rather appealing for many.

If the grand-strategic ETO stuff interests you and you can get a copy of the game at a decent price, I'd definitely recommend it.  It is much easier to learn than even classic Third Reich and certainly more so than A3R or the career game AWAW.  You'll need either their deluxe or my map though.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

It's too bad Avalanche has such poor quality control. They have some great looking games, but I don't trust them on the QA side.

bayonetbrant

The series games aren't bad once they get 2-3 games out and iron out the rules' wrinkles

The counter art is usually very good.

The maps are disastrous tho

mirth

I got burned on a few of their smaller games awhile back. Ordered 3-4 as gifts and they all had some kind of problem. Really turned me off from them.

ArizonaTank

+1 on GMT's "A World at War" as an amalgam of A3R and Rising Sun.  Of course the rules are about 200 pages long...so maybe I'll play once I retire, many years from now.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.