Main Menu

We The Revolution

Started by Ian C, March 21, 2019, 11:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

sandman2575

Quote from: steve58 on March 21, 2019, 04:01:34 PM
Aka Cake and Guillotines

;D

I'm intrigued by this. Love the art style. The inspiration from Papers, Please (terrific game) is pretty clear.

Ian, are you playing it? Any impressions, citoyen?

mbar

I'm interested. I'm curious how replayable it is though.

Ian C

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 21, 2019, 06:56:18 PM
Ian, are you playing it? Any impressions, citoyen?

Merci, I've not pulled the trigger yet but I might.

em2nought

I wonder if it can be modded?  ;D
Stolen elections have consequences.

Phantom

Interesting historical note: Apparently to encourage bakers to produce enough bread (which was a low profit item in pre-revolutionary France) they were compelled to provide a customer with more expensive cake, at the same price as bread, if they could not provide any bread. Hence Marie Antoinette when told there was no bread, and famously saying "let them eat cake" was merely pointing out the bakers obligation under the law to make good the shortage. Maybe she wasn't such a bad lass after all?

sandman2575

Quote from: Phantom on March 22, 2019, 02:12:56 PM
Interesting historical note: Apparently to encourage bakers to produce enough bread (which was a low profit item in pre-revolutionary France) they were compelled to provide a customer with more expensive cake, at the same price as bread, if they could not provide any bread. Hence Marie Antoinette when told there was no bread, and famously saying "let them eat cake" was merely pointing out the bakers obligation under the law to make good the shortage. Maybe she wasn't such a bad lass after all?

Hmmm, that sounds suspiciously like subversive, pro-Royalist talk....

Sir, you are hereby summonsed to appear before the tribunal of the Committee of Public Safety!    :knuppel2:

Ian C

JasonPratt

Was that a demned, dashing Pimpernel?!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 22, 2019, 05:44:08 PM
Was that a demned, dashing Pimpernel?!

It's a French Revolutionary character from a classic wartime movie.

Here's another clue:

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Philippe

Quote from: Phantom on March 22, 2019, 02:12:56 PM

Brioche is not the same thing as cake.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Moreb

'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair'

While the premise seems excellent, and how very unique, I'm afraid among the mostly favorable reviews lie some negative ones that would be a deal breaker for me. It is said that the choices are not really choices because you get a view of the repercussions before making the decision. Others have stated that many of the branches go nowhere and there really isn't an investigative aspect at all. While seemingly an interesting subject, and a pleasant art style, I think the choices are even more lineal than Orwell, a game with an intriguing concept that unfortunately not only held your hand but, dragged you along.

As a note. While America won it's independence and gave it's citizens the power and unprecedented Freedom, France brought about a Reign of Terror. Makes me wonder how many today would welcome in the latter given the chance.

'That kid smirked. Off with his head.'
When dongles fly? - mirth

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd