Predestination. A turn-based sci-fi 4X game.

Started by mbar, July 24, 2018, 09:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbar

Predestination has been on and off my wishlist over the years. It languishes in early access but the developer is persistently updating the game.  It looks epic in scope. Have any Grogheads tried it out and have any comments?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/340210/Predestination/

Jarhead0331

There are several threads on this game.

I believe Martok was a big fan and supporter from the kickstarter days...

i have it, but never installed. It just seems to flat and soulless to me and I'm not a fan of the ship styles...they look oddly phallic.  Additionally, they have a hex-based planet system, and yet, my understanding is that they have not implemented hex-based planetary combat. That really would have made the game worth looking at closely and would have resembled something we haven't really seen done well since EotFs. They really missed that boat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

I've tried this on several occasions. Can't put my finger on it but it just seems like....meh. Sort of an alpha that was released b/c they were tired of working on it? Maybe that's unfair but it's not enjoyable to me at all
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

solops

Well, it IS still in Early Access. And their dev blog says they have a lot left to fill out and polish.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on July 24, 2018, 09:01:33 PM
Well, it IS still in Early Access. And their dev blog says they have a lot left to fill out and polish.

For over 5 years? Don't hold your breath.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

After 5 years, I think it's referred to as "Not So Early Access".

mbar

Labeling it as "In development hell" isn't as marketable. The lack of ground combat is concerning and if it has not grabbed any grogheads attention then I will give it a hard pass.

solops

I guess I'll boot it up and see how it stands now. This is the dev blog from May 22. It does not sound abandoned to me, however slow they may be. But, I've been disappointed before.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/340210/announcements/detail/1672403714109243930

And their website is still up and running.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bobarossa

I think their last kickstarter update said they had finally moved from alpha to beta status with their 1.0 release.  Doesn't beta mean feature complete?  Backed in in january of 2014; can't believe it just reached Beta.

bbmike

7 Days To Die released in 2013 and is still in Alpha!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mbar

Quote from: solops on July 25, 2018, 09:22:37 AM
I guess I'll boot it up and see how it stands now.

Please let us know what your impressions are. That would be great!

steve58

...and add M.O.R.E. to the list of as-yet-to-be-released games.  I still occasionally get emails and they still appear to be working on it...since Sep 1, 2012  ::)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

solops

News! - "Dev Update: V1.10 released. Simple Ship Designer, Refitting, Star Claims Overhaul, Asteroid Belts, Fleet Combat UI Overhaul, Race Iteration, and more."  This is the first update since they went Beta. Looks pretty massive per the Dev notes.

mbar

Predestination is out of early access and has been released. On sale -34% until March 5th.

Huw the Poo

This has been on my wishlist for yonks, it's weird to see it suddenly released without warning.  So...who's gonna take one for the team? :)