FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO! (Complete)

Started by JasonPratt, September 01, 2017, 08:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

...uh, since we're playing it on the digital Vassal mod, it counts as digital, right?

AzTank and I are returning to FIRE IN THE LAKE, and this time we're bringing along DaveM and Barthheart as our sacrificial pawns! I mean allies!  :D

Specifically, DaveM will be playing the North Vietnamese Army; Az (Larry) will be helping him as the Viet Cong; Barth will be Captain Arclighting the map as the United States; and I'll be juggling all this grievous nonsense as the local mafia THE ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM!

We'll be playing a full team game, meaning that I can't win unless Barth (who is on my side this time, thus guaranteeing some kind of reality implosion) also has scored enough to win; and if all four of us are past our various win-posts, then the teams compare our lowest scores each. This forces everyone to focus on scoring efficiency for all our teammates, too, not only our own.

DaveM and Barth haven't played the game before (and only Az has played the Vassal mod among us before), so pray for us.  :hug:

I may or may not create a video AAR as turns go along, using Tabletop Simulator to illustrate the moves so far. But whether or not I do, here are a couple of relatively short introduction videos.

Dave as the NVA will be kicking off, based on the first card draw, with ArizonaVC having the second initiative. (Then Barth, then me.) The two videos do represent the starting piece placements, but not the starting card draws (yet).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Fire in the Grogs Too doesn't continue to begin! Yet!

Once upon a time this post included a sample video of running a coup turn, but I've deleted that video as pointless now.

Don't worry, more vids on the way.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

superhaus

JasonPratt

:bd: Come, spread your freedom all over my vast tracts of land!

Barthheart

JasonPratt

Barthheart

More surprised at your .... interesting.... choice of words..... but I have a gutter mind so.....  :D

JasonPratt

Yeah, I tweaked it to be off-color for the lolz. Not sure if it's better or worse to be about pimping or not! -- but I figured it would count either way as a jab at the regime governments I'm playing. ;)

JasonPratt

Have _you_ been wondering when if ever we're going to play this game after all?

Me, neither!  :D

But that's because I already know we've been playing it, down to Turn 16 currently. It has been a pretty amazing game so far, and I'll be doing AARs on it eventually -- I'm just catching up on my belated DC:Blitz AARs first (so that I can continue that game, too, which is much closer to the end of course by now.)

JasonPratt

We're well into what must be the final downhill run of the game, but this is where it begins. Namely with the communists trying to understand economics, failing, and resorting to terror taxation out of the gate.  >:D

JasonPratt

For (probably) my final video of 2017:

ALL HAIL BARTHHEART WHO WINS AS THE UNITED STATES ON TURN THREE! -- and then moves along to another game.  :coolsmiley:

Fortunately for the rest of us, it's a full team game so I have to win, too.

Unfortunately for me, ARVN is a long, long way from winning...

JasonPratt

Wherein we play our first coup turn, ending the beginning of the game with... a crushing win by Barthheart!  :D

...but since he has to drag me along for the full team win, too, the game continues. (Though without Barth who decided to watch from the sidelines as Rich subs in to try to drag me to victory. And by "me" I mean "us" but mostly I mean "me".  >:D )

JasonPratt

Now that the beginning of the game has ended with the first coup (and a crushing Barthheart victory as usual  >:D ), it's time to get busy on the tromp to the next coup, far down the road.

By "getting busy" I primarily mean testing new readable font designs!  :D

But also a short episode focusing on a subtle rule quirk of the game and on a basic short-range move operation.

JasonPratt

Yep, episode 5 uploaded today, too! You can thank an inch of ice under three of snow for this.

Everyone gets a full turn this episode as we settle down to work. Also, Hamburger Hill arrives early: will it be any more decisive than in real life?!

JasonPratt

Well, Team South (that's US-Rich, and me, ARVN) are doing okay, but Team North isn't really that far behind. Despite NVA-Dave still having the exact same 4 points (out of 19) he started the game with. And still having no new pieces on the board. At the start of Turn 9 already. Yeesh.

I know that sounds bad for Team North, but notice: they aren't far behind without the NVA having even started rolling yet. Our fellow Groghead ArizonaTank (Larry) is punching a respectable second place more-or-less by himself so far.

This suggests we need to keep Dave down as long as we can. ...but can we?