ccleaner hacked! Update immediately

Started by steve58, September 18, 2017, 09:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Frack.  I use ccleaner almost daily and keep it updated.  If you use ccleaner, uninstall it and grab the latest version asap.  Infected versions are 5.33.6162 version of CCleaner and the 1.07.3191 version of CCleaner Cloud.

Users of Avast-owned security application CCleaner for Windows have been advised to update their software immediately, after researchers discovered criminal hackers had installed a backdoor in the tool. The tainted application allows for download of further malware, be it ransomware or keyloggers, with fears millions are affected. According to Avast's own figures, 2.27 million ran the affected software, though the company said users should not panic.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/09/18/ccleaner-cybersecurity-app-infected-with-backdoor/#3877886e316a
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Huh; Avast hasn't told me CCleaner is infected yet. Is that irony?!

Of course, I'm using the free version of CCleaner which isn't as recent. I thought about paying for it -- paid for a year of Avast's own cleaning software, and hated every moment of it (though I pay for their anti-virus/spam stuff) -- but when I went to the site, something about the pay options threw my hackles up.

I'll try to remember to look into this when I get home.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

JudgeDredd

I use the free version of CCLeaner and it's version 5.34.6207...later than the stated version at the top. I updated it this weekend I believe.
Alba gu' brath

spelk

MetalDog

I updated to 5.34.  If my understanding of English is correct, I have disabled their ability to bother me.  Yes?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Granfantry

I just straight up uninstalled it since I haven't used CCleaner in months. Thanks for the heads-up.