Tabletop Simulator - Grogheads Gaming Club

Started by Bison, December 28, 2015, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Necro-thread arise!

....no particular reason, just didn't want it to cycle off the active topic page.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bardolph

It's been awhile since I've actually played anything on TTS but I do run it every now and again and check the Workshop for interesting mods.
There's been some interesting wargamey stuff on there.

I keep meaning to finish the mods I started and start a couple more... but then I start up Rocket League and its 3am again.

JasonPratt

I'm currently using it to film a batch of tutorials (rather than one long ep) as introductions to Fire in the Lake, for reasons that I hope come to pass in the near future. ;)

Also, I've been pre-planning a tutorial on The Castles of Burgundy Card Game, for my nieces -- would have done it already but came to realize the current mod uses too small a table. But since I only need two players for demonstration, I realized last night I should be able to just unlock and delete the other two player slots and rearrange things. (I spent a lot of time looking for a nice table extension, but they're meant to fit the largest stock table and I could just go with that -- except I need a good 'surface' texture, which I don't have yet and don't quite know how to get. Being lazy, I'll probably just remove extra players. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Blucher

How does multiplayer work in this? I have several friends who live in different countries and time zones and we started looking into this. Can we save the game and then have the next player take their turn?

jamus34

Does anyone play D&D or various other rpg systems on this? Been looking to get back into rpgs but with my time commitments I figure a virtual group would be my best bet.
Insert witty comment here.

Nefaro

Quote from: Blucher on September 21, 2017, 01:10:28 PM
How does multiplayer work in this? I have several friends who live in different countries and time zones and we started looking into this. Can we save the game and then have the next player take their turn?

The only MP I'm familiar with, for TTS, is simultaneous.  Not a PBEM(+) style that I know of, but maybe I just didn't see such an option.

Whomever is hosting the MP game can save the game.  Later loading it and having the players join the session where it left off.  :bd:

Quote from: jamus34 on September 21, 2017, 01:21:50 PM
Does anyone play D&D or various other rpg systems on this? Been looking to get back into rpgs but with my time commitments I figure a virtual group would be my best bet.

I've not witnessed an RPG session in it myself, but it definitely has user-created modules to support it.  Lots of dice, miniatures, some maps/tiles, and even a few title specific modules.

I recall seeing some for the Star Wars, The One Ring, and Conan rpgs.  Although they're mostly just in-game character sheets, dice, and maybe some reference cards.  Which is still damn handy if one of them uses custom dice (such as Star Wars).  I seriously doubt they'd have the actual manuals included, as that would be an actionable offense if the specific book wasn't a freebie.

I'm pretty sure TTS also has built-in voice, which I assume also runs through the host's connection.  I don't know how good it is since we used Teamspeak when playing a game in TTS.

edit:  From what I've gathered, some of the other online RPG programs make it easier for GMs to load up their 2D content (pics, maps, handouts, etc).  Whereas something like TTS, with a 3D space and physics included, takes more time & effort doing so.

jamus34

So what, something like Vassel is more suited?

JasonPratt

Vassal is more suited than TTS for Asynch games, right now, where someone plays a turn then saves and the next person picks it up later. Unless everyone is playing on the same computer; then hotseat Asynch is entirely doable.

I don't recommend using TTS's inherent voice connection yet. It notoriously kills the framerate even when it isn't activated, and there's a good chance any user will have to hack the Steam shortcut to add a -novoicechat (or something) command. I did! I seem to recall that this was a problem earlier in the year, too, and they promptly took voice chat right the hell out.

Barthheart

Just to be clear, VASSAL can be used to play live games across the next not just asynchronous.

However, VASSAL is really not what you want to use to play a D&D style RPG. It's more suited to board and card games.

jamus34

Quote from: Barthheart on September 21, 2017, 08:08:56 PM
Just to be clear, VASSAL can be used to play live games across the next not just asynchronous.

However, VASSAL is really not what you want to use to play a D&D style RPG. It's more suited to board and card games.

Thanks for the clarification of the two. Looks like I'm back to square one.

Nefaro

Quote from: jamus34 on September 21, 2017, 08:49:38 PM

Thanks for the clarification of the two. Looks like I'm back to square one.

There are a few programs made specifically for running RPGs over the internet.  AKA "virtual tabletop" RP'ing.

Fantasy Grounds costs money, but has a buttload of game-specific official modules you can buy as DLC for it.  IIRC, you can buy a deluxe version which allows you to run it without anyone else needing to own it.  Reportedly most visually appealing regarding the 3D dice & such, but is costly compared to others. Saw this one in the Steam store.

Roll20 seems to be a pretty popular one that runs in a web browser.  Pretty sure it's basics are free.

Not sure how old it is, but there's a list of them here:

http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/choosing-a-vt

Blucher

Thanks guys for the insight into how tabletop simulator works. We have decided to go with Vassal. We are going to start with command and colors Napoleonic's to see how it goes.

Barthheart

That should work well on VASSAL. Have fun and report back.  O0

JasonPratt

Some enterprising soul recently uploaded something to TTS that I had only vaguely wondered about existing:

a Legends of the Galactic Heroes galactic strategy game.

It comes in two parts, the tactical battle map pack being here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1284112494

And the strategic map pack being here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1284107282

PanzersEast

Anyone up for some Grog - Multiplayer?  I've been itching to try this with more...