Midway remake out in cinemas NOV 8

Started by Destraex, June 09, 2019, 04:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Michael I agree that to make it feel realistic they are better off just keeping away from nauseating camera angles that are physics poor.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

besilarius

In the new trailer, the planes look good, but a lot of other things seem half baked.
And Judd Nelson?  The Breakfast Club goes to Midway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrL47mdOTg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR24C2F6yIiuu-LBevdtIpQEI9MMNZjy9bktP3swEH_2kjOehTNl-lMQ3YA
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

That looks to be a different movie, "Dauntless".
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MrsWargamer

I'm going to barf.

A. that's no remake, it's a tragedy if it is anything at all.
It appears to be a movie about two dudes shot down during a battle called Midway.

B. no apparent mention of all the brave lads who were massacred in the torpedo planes who dragged down all the Jap fighter cover such that the late-arriving Dauntlesses has a field day slaughtering the carriers.

C. no apparent mention of the Island.

I repeat, that trailer makes me want to puke.
Just killin pixels and cardboard

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 16, 2019, 09:13:19 PM

Yeah, that's the trailer for the newly renamed "Dauntless: The Battle for Midway", not "Midway".  Looks to be a very low budget direct to DVD copycat by a small indie studio, probably hoping for a bit of brand confusion based on the rename.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 16, 2019, 11:01:05 PM

Yeah, that's the trailer for the newly renamed "Dauntless: The Battle for Midway", not "Midway".  Looks to be a very low budget direct to DVD copycat by a small indie studio, probably hoping for a bit of brand confusion based on the rename.

Maybe they should have called it "Behind Enemy Lines: Granddad, tell that story again, please?"
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Ace Combat™ 7 Skies Unknown: The Motion Picture
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

'Midway: Between Reality and Fiction'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

FAKE NEWS MOVIE!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 17, 2019, 06:37:45 AM

Maybe they should have called it "Behind Enemy Lines: Granddad, tell that story again, please?"

This time with extra green screens!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

Some of the stuff in that trailer I'm familiar with.  I've read more than a half dozen books on Midway. 

Some of the carriers launched at extreme range and the pilots knew it.  There was a lot of agonizing about turning on the lights - I'm sure the movie will exaggerate it.

There was a very famous writeup of a torpedo pilot who watched much of the battle from the ocean.

I think this is a trailer for a different movie than the November Midway release.

After all, it can't be as bad as Flyboys.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on August 17, 2019, 09:03:33 PM
Some of the stuff in that trailer I'm familiar with.  I've read more than a half dozen books on Midway. 

Some of the carriers launched at extreme range and the pilots knew it.  There was a lot of agonizing about turning on the lights - I'm sure the movie will exaggerate it.

There was a very famous writeup of a torpedo pilot who watched much of the battle from the ocean.

I think this is a trailer for a different movie than the November Midway release.

After all, it can't be as bad as Flyboys.

Yes, George Gay, he was a survivor of the doomed Devastator strike.   He survived and watched the later Dauntless strike hit home and wreck the Japanese strike force.

As has been said, the Dauntless movie is a trailer for a totally different film from the "EXPLOSION USA USA USA" film that Emmerich is making.   It's a green screened, low budget movie that's taking George Gay's story and applying it to some Dauntless pilots.

The_Admiral

If I may  :)
From everything I know and I have seen of Dauntless, it is shaping up as an acceptable product - time will tell. But in all honesty they were there much earlier already (as you can see the trailer indicated April, at that time we hardly even had seen a shot of the Emmerich movie). They might have renamed it to get more traction, as the original title(simply "Dauntless") certainly wasn't as telling as the new one. It is true that they are trying to surf on the buzz created by the Emmerich movie with this new label, but they are a work in their own right - nobody owns exclusive rights to a battle, after all.

Actually, in a few aspects, the CGI and especially the models are not that bad, and our 3D artist finds them more accurate than the ones used in the "big" Midway. Production value might not be sky-high, it might look a bit generic, but it is definitely on my "to watch" list.

MrsWargamer is right in that it is more of a survivor story than a movie about the actual battle (a bit like Against the Sun was to the TBD I suppose), but so far the combat shots, especially about the Japanese fleet, are way more accurate than what can be seen in Emmerich's Midway, and are a good sign about the telling amount of research which apparently went there. I would refrain from puking too much early on, or I would hate to imagine the kind trauma we might eventually go through when experiencing the Emmerich version :)

QuoteIt's a green screened, low budget movie that's taking George Gay's story and applying it to some Dauntless pilots.
We don't really need to summon the ghost of George Gay here actually - SBD crews going in the drink were aplenty immediately after the initial strike, on the way home to TF16 and TF17. From what I could gather the protagonist crew will get into the water after the strikes and away from the Japanese force.

But I think you're not far from the truth - to me it looks they might actually borrow the story from yet another TBD crew, that time from VT6, that of number 8. The Facebook account keeping VS6 "Dusty" Kleiss' memory alive has just finished a series of accounts regarding VT6, and here's the story they posted about the last crew to ever be recovered from the battle (there's no other place you could have that btw, I have just searched my books and the internet for this story for a whooping 45mn as I had forgotten where I had first seen it...):

QuoteThe Last Flight of Torpedo Squadron Six, Part 11:

At the end of the engagement on June 4, one TBD crashed into the sea. Badly damaged in the attack on Kido Butai, 6-T-8 (Bu. No. 0367) piloted by MACH Albert Waldo Winchell and crewed by RM 3/c Douglas Marvin Cossitt had to ditch. The plane had been leaking gas for miles and it had no chance to make it back.

Rear seat gunner Cossitt had been wounded, hit by shrapnel from a .20 mm shell. The shrapnel pierced his legs in 18 places. Somehow, he inflated the life raft and secured the plane's emergency rations. For days, Winchell and Cossitt sat on their raft, hoping for rescue.

Every day, sharks came by, trying to feast on them. Cossitt recalled, "We fought them off with an 8'' Bowie knife and our aluminum oars. One time Walt cut one bad enough to make him bleed. The biggest damn fight you ever saw took place about 20 yards from our boat! The other sharks jumped the one [that] Walt wounded."

On day twelve, a Japanese submarine surfaced nearby and closed to within 50 feet of Winchell and Cossitt's raft. As Cossitt remembered, "Walt just sat down and we waited for the end. We were sure they would either take us prisoners or shoot us in the boat." Then, without warning, the submarine submerged, leaving the sea to kill them. Cossitt believed the Japanese crew tried to use the castaway aviators as bait, hoping that a warship might come to their rescue. "Regardless of their reason," remembered Cossitt, "we were damn glad to see them go."

On day seventeen, a hot, windless day, both VT-6 survivors admitted privately to themselves (but not to each other) that they couldn't last more than a day or two at most. But then, providentially, a PBY appeared above. "Our eyes were so sunburned," recalled Cossitt, "the plane was only a blur."

When Cossitt was picked up by the crew of the PBY, he weighed only 118 pounds. It took him ten years to reclaim his original weight of 185 pounds. As the PBY flew back to Midway--300 miles away--the crew informed Winchell and Cossitt that the Battle of Midway had been won by the Americans. This was the first the two aviators knew of the victory. Cossitt remembered, "And it was going to be many days and weeks before we were to find out the cost that the torpedo squadrons from Enterprise, Yorktown, and Hornet [had] paid."

Truly, even the exciting moment of rescue transformed into a sad reality for Cossitt. Until the end of his life, he never forgot that memorable day, June 4, 1942.

In this image, Douglas M. Cossitt--one of the ten survivors of VT-6's morning attack--is standing at right. The man next to him is another aviator, one who had been rescued from the Battle of the Coral Sea.

Btw a great Facebook page to follow if you're into 1942 Carrier stuff
https://www.facebook.com/NeverCallMeAHero/photos/a.1034771733290546/1976096839158026/?type=3&permPage=1

SirAndrewD

There is now an actual second trailer for the film...and yeah my hopes are not very high. 

Looks like Pearl Harbor 2: PEARL HARDER!

JudgeDredd

CGI is downright shocking and I'm not surprised (Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow!!)

I'll watch - but only out of curiosity.
Alba gu' brath