Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erax

To be honest there's a side of me that wants to keep playing rather than go for the quick win, so I'm not against this rule... though 35 seems excessive as the major players will probably gain Influence at about the same rate. How about 20 individual / 30 faction?

JasonPratt

Considering that you just got hammered by yet another bad luck draw, I am definitely willing to give your adjustment recommendation extra weight.  O:-)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

TURN ELEVEN -- REVENUE PHASE
----------------------------

Segment 1, Faction income.

I.I.'s Aristocrats have 10 starting cash; +0 personal cash; +3+1+1 senators income; +3+3+3 knights income; +1 priest income; +2+2 Tax Farming; +3 Harbor Fees
= new Faction total 32 Talents.

Tripoli's Militarists have 8 starting cash; +3 personal cash; +3+1+1 senators income; +5+4 knights income; +2+2 Tax Farming
= new Faction total 29 Talents.

The Frog's Plutocrats have 0 starting cash; +3 personal cash; +5+1+1 (Plutocrat ability) senators income; 2x(+3+2) (Plutocrat ability) knights income; +1 priest income
= new Faction total 21 Talents.

AzTank's Conservatives have 49 starting cash; +3+3+3 personal cash; +3+1+1+1 senators income; +2+2 knights income; +1+1 priests income
= new Faction total 70 Talents! (New game record I think.)

Malize's Populists have 0 starting cash; 0 personal cash; +3+1+1+1 senators income; +1+1+2 knights income; +3 Mining Concession
= new Faction total 13 Talents.

Erax's Progressives have 0 starting cash; 5 personal cash; +3+1 senators income; +1 knights income; 1d6 (-1 Evil Omens!) = +3 PontMax income; +2+2 Tax Farmer Concessions
= new Faction total 17 Talents.

Nominal Republic budget calcs: 25 starting cash; +100 standard income; -20 1st Punic War active; -2 x 18 active Legions; -2 x 11 active Fleets = projected Republican cash 47 (not counting donations, or unseen coming events).

If you're wondering about Gallia Cisalpina and Provinces generally, it'll fit in later. First a Player's senator will have to Govern it! -- but that's (Mandatory) Senate Business.

All Players should now publicly announce their distribution plans, and whether they intend to make any donations from your senators to the Republic's treasury during this Phase.

If you already know what you're going to do with your senators' cash during the Forum Phase, you can pre-plan that, too.

Incidentally, I'm not quite 10% done uploading the video. I'll add a post for it once it becomes active, of course.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

5:50 pm last night, not 10% done.

6:20 am this morning... not 77% done.

:o Good grief. Why is this taking so much longer to do than any other video I've posted??

Erax

Flaminius died again? I can't find the post.

JasonPratt

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=22942.msg642204#msg642204

I marked the results behind the spoiler tag for the sake of anyone who wanted to wait for the video, for drama's sake. ;) But I invited all Players or anyone else to go ahead and read the results so we could start factoring them into the play asap.

IncompetentIdiot

5 to Quinctius, 10 to Valerius, 17 to Scipio.

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 12, 2019, 09:30:47 AM

I propose therefore a house rule for consideration. Keep the minimum threshold Influence for engineering a vote for Consul for Life. (I think that's 25, or else it's 20, I'd have to check.) And keep 35 as a determinant Influence number for automatic appointment.

But: to make the result more feasible, against long-standing internal resistance against having a king, the house rule would be this. To be automatically appointed Consul for Life, a senator must have 35 Influence more than the second-most Influential senator; and also his Faction must lead in Total Influence by at least a 35 point gap.

That won't actually be much more difficult to do, in the late game, which is also part of the point: an automatic win condition shouldn't be likely to trigger until the late game.

Any discussion on this is welcome.  O:-)

I tend to agree with this.  My understanding is that Republican Rome was VERY opposed to Kings.  I'm not sure that anyone could have become Counsel for Life at this stage.  Here's an idea: What if you have a sliding scale? Your proposal, but have the requirements lowered for every legion lost during a civil war, to simulate war weariness? 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

Quote from: Erax on February 13, 2019, 11:23:40 AM
Flaminius died again? I can't find the post.

Do you know how expensive bribing the Furies is?    >:D

Tripoli

JasonPratt

For those who were waiting (for some reason  ::) ):

1:34:30 for the Mortality Phase action.

JasonPratt

I just noticed that the new brother board Armchair Dragoons seems to have a functioning dice-roller mod, so I may create a thread to link to from here occasionally for that purpose (including the death bag which can be represented by a die with something like 40 sides: the first 30 or however many sides would be the total number of important families in the game; the next two or three sides would be the x2 chits; and the last several sides would be the blanks. I'd nail those down precisely first of course.)

Still need cash management from the Frog, AzTank, Malize, and Erax (not necessarily in that order).

malize

Ethel the Frog

5 to Claudius to buy a Knight; the rest to Acilius, who will sponsor the most expensive games he can afford.  I forget the price point. 

Erax