Plane Mechanic Simulator - ww2 aircraft - 4 days away from early access

Started by Destraex, February 08, 2019, 06:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

This one allows you to play the part of RAF ground crew and so far has the Spitfire, Mosquito and Tiger Moth to work on.
I liked the idea of car mechanic but could not get over the feel I was attending a job and so did not play it much. There was also the fact that my time is spent on multiplayer usually.

Being a RAF ground crewman kinda has me interested a little more. While writing this I remembered my Grand Father was an Australian Air Force Flight Engineer and I guess he would have done a lot of the same things.

In four days we will be able to tinker and find out what makes ww2 aircraft tick. Hopefully see them fly? I doubt this :(
C'mon. Handing over to a pilot and helping them strap in or scramble would be cool. Seeing them not come back and worrying that it was your shoestring and bubblegum solution that got them killed... not so good.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/08/the-flare-path-plane-mechanic-simulator-review/

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Father Ted

I quite like this simply because you get to look round the planes at close quarters.  Whether or not there'll be enough"game" in it for me I don't know.  Probably a sale purchase a few years down the line.

Destraex

Got it with a -50% voucher that made it $7au for me. Very good so far.

jomni

Does it include patching bullet holes as scrubbing blood off the seats?

Destraex

So far I have only changed wheels and solved a fuel line problem. But I am pretty sure it includes zeroing guns and fixing bullet holes. Not sure about the blood.
Also somehow if you do not fix things correctly it affects the next mission.

FarAway Sooner

You know, it's funny, but you don't really think about the US Air Force and just what a brutal time they had keeping planes fixed.  It's nice to see a game looking at this aspect of WW II, even if it is from the RAF angle.

Consider, from 1939 to 1945, the US saw approximately a 50000% increase in the size of its air force (and something like a 70000% increase in the total engine count).  They had planes fighting in almost every theater of the war.  Most of us could probably name at least a dozen US planes that saw mainstream, front-line service.  Each one of those probably had 5 to 10 variants (some small, some large).

My dad was 20 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, he marched down to his enlistment office in Los Angeles, and was promptly ruled unfit to serve (4F).  Wanting to contribute, he promptly went to work at the Douglas Aircraft factory in El Segundo, where they built SBD Dauntlesses.  He didn't have many of the technical skills that they were looking for, but they gave him a broom to push around.

After working there for three weeks, one of his supervisors found out through one of his coworkers that my dad not only had a college degree, but had been the Senior Editor for The Daily Bruin, a large college newspaper.  Within two days, he was whisked into the Technical Writing Division, where he spent the next 3 years writing Technical Manuals.

To me, this always seemed much less glamorous than if he'd been riveting and welding together plane parts.  It's only recently, as I studied the absurd expansion of the US Air Force during wartime, that I've come to appreciate just how important those technical manuals must have been to the flight crews seeing a brand new plane for the first time.

The way he tells it, he worked 50 and 60 hour weeks most of the year, without vacation, for 3 years.  Most others in the war industries did the same.  That is a marked contrast to the way the U.S. has waged our more limited wars over the last 40 years.  Make of that what you will, but it leaves me deeply uneasy with our country.

Destraex

"Even if it is from a raf perspective"
I actually think that's a plus. Just more interesting. Hopefully the Aussies and Americans come next. But I really want to work on a hurricane and Lancaster first. By that I mean that the us would be preferably pacific theatre New Guinea.

JudgeDredd

Car Mechanic in the shape of an airplane. Stripped out as well likely due to Car Mechanic having some sort of "business model" - if very lite.

Not for me I'm afraid.

I'm not against the games - I've had two Car Mechanics but I should've known better after the first one. I appreciate the work that goes into their development, but as a game, they're limited. They keep your interest for a period of time (enough to at least get your money's worth). After that, it's pretty mundane.

I wouldn't expect much more from this.

Though if you paid $7 or even $14, then you'll likely at the very least get your money's worth - but beware when they bring out another one - it'll be the same "game".

Don't expect a game.  But if you have a passing interest in mechanics and (in this case) aircraft, then you'll do alright for a while.
Alba gu' brath