The Painting Table - Show Off Your Miniatures

Started by Bison, December 25, 2016, 09:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well I spent a couple of hours working on this ranger and gave him a Christmas color scheme :).  He still needs some touch ups and a matte varnish, but not to bad for a quick paint job.  Its about 1 to 1 1/2  inch in height.

Reaper Miniature - Mason Thornwarden
I was a bit disappointed with the detail of the mini.  I don't think it was cast very well.  There were clearly some details that were cast very well and it has some weird cast marks and omissions, but its good enough for the table.  My theory is that Mason was actually cast twice in this pose.  One with pewter, which has simnifically more detail, and this one with a plastic polymer.   

I'm not a photographer, so the photos are a bit darker than he is naturally.

undercovergeek

I think secretly I've dreaded this thread - it will have the same effect as the screenshot thread and make me go buy things

Cool stuff bison, I like the guys pose too

Barthheart

Nice job Bison.  O0 Have you thought of adding the string to his bow?

I'll try and get some pics of my Mercs: Recon minis posted when I get home. They're not great but more than passable for a board game.

Bison

The halfling rogue and human paladin I did a while back.  They were the first two minis I'd painted in 20 years.  God that make me old!

Bison

This is the next one up in the cue.  I'm going to decide on my color scheme today and perhaps start painting the base coat.  I need to go back an base all my minis on 1" or 2" stands and some ballast/grass texturing.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Here are some of mine from Descent.  Got 20 painted and way, way too many left to go.

BanzaiCat

Nice work. It really adds to a game. Having played a little Shadows of Brimstone yesterday, it struck me how much more enjoyable the game would be with painted figures. But, it would take untold hours to paint them all, and do it right.

Bison

Sweet paint jobs SDR.  I have about 40 Star Wars imperial assault minis to paint, but the kids got me a few Reaper Bones minis I need to paint first.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Nice!

I enjoy seeing others' work.  :bd:

Hopefully it gets my butt moving on doing some more too!  I've been doing a handful of figures, then not doing anything for a few months.  Which makes my physical acuity rather rusty when I finally get back to it every time.  :-\

Have generally been starting on the player/hero figures first, in numerous games.  Expected those to be the most focused ones in any game and had to prioritize since I'm so slow in painting.   Really starting to think I should concentrate on speeding up a good bit when it comes to the monsters.

Started painting minis to:

Descent 2nd Ed.
Shadows Of Brimstone
Mercs: Recon
Fortune & Glory (quickie jobs)
Super Dungeon Explore

Still have all these minis I want to start on:

Imperial Assault
Check Your Six: Jet Age
Galaxy Defenders
A Touch Of Evil
Gears Of War
Runebound
Yashima
Earth Reborn
Defenders Of The Realm
Zombicide + expansion
Merchants & Marauders (?)

:timeout:

Ubercat

Here's some High Elves and Orcs that I painted for Warmaster back in the 90's.

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Bison

Ubercat

Thanks. I just started painting again about a week ago after taking several months off.

I'm working on the Runewars good heroes (evil and neutral are already done). I still need to do the Undead faction and then 2-3 of the neutral monsters and the entire game will be finished. I suddenly have a fire lit under me as not only did I miss painting to music and a drink, but I went crazy last week and Kickstarted Kingdom Death: Monster at the $450 level. :wow:  I'll have a metric butt load of gorgeous, highly detailed mini's showing up next summer. I need to finish RW up to make room!

I think I'm going to buy an airbrush soon and learn some new techniques. I'll never get it all done if I stick with my traditional painting knowledge (and speed). Time to grow my skill set, methinks.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Bison

I'm considering an airbrush.  I really want it to do priming and base painting.