Star Wars: X-Wing

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, July 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm not quite sure where to put this but here seems as good a spot as any.

Not having flung enough money at FFG for Star Wars: Armada, I started playing X-Wing at the local nerd shop as well.

After some self-professed tactical genius claimed he could win as the Empire with inferior numbers, we got into a ridiculously lop-sided dogfight in an asteroid field between two elite TIE fighter pilots

vs. a no-name A-Wing pilot, a no-name X-Wing pilot (green and red squadrons), and Wedge in his X-Wing.

The TIEs actually managed to dance around the middle of the asteroids quite well and knocked the shields down on both X-Wings but they just couldn't deal with the superior maneuverability of the A-Wing or the firepower Wedge brought to bear and both were turned to dust without ever managing to damage any of the Rebel ships.

This is a pretty fun little game.  Much quicker to play than Armada and I really like the detail on the minis.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just ordered this beast.  Should be fun.  I really need to get a case to lug around all this crap in.

undercovergeek

seriously, no victory dance pic?

undercovergeek

BanzaiCat

SDR, I bought a huge tackle box to store both my X-Wing and Star Trek minis within...and I barely have enough room for both. Certainly would not for that Corellian Corvette.

Interesting that there's two Slave-Is in that last pic. What's the story there, if any? Just because?

I have Slave-I and the Falcon and a TIE Interceptor in addition to the basic pack stuff. Not much to tell but a decent collection and you are quite correct, the detail is amazing, especially on the Falcon.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm thinking of picking up a case from Battlefoam along with some foam trays.  I went to a non so local store yesterday with the intention of buying said kit but found that their collection of trays and bags were in rough shape.  Looks like various idiots had stolen bits and pieces from every bag available on the shelves.

http://us.battlefoam.com/star-wars-x-wing/?sort=featured&page=2

Bison

You are not helping me resist the temptation to purchase this or Armada SDR.  I'm leaning more toward X-wing if only because the cost is slightly more bearable.   Although now that I think about it Star Wars Tactics also look freaking fantastic.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 09:04:48 AM
You are not helping me resist the temptation to purchase this or Armada SDR.  I'm leaning more toward X-wing if only because the cost is slightly more bearable.   Although now that I think about it Star Wars Tactics also look freaking fantastic.

Bison, Star Wars Imperial Assault is pretty awesome. Very Descent or Doom: The Boardgame-like, if you like that kind of thing. You can do skirmishes or a full Campaign, which branches according to success or failure.

The X-Wing Minis are probably easier to get into cost-wise; I think the basic set is $40, whereas extra fighters cost between $10 and $20 depending on the fighter, and the larger ships of course cost more.

Armada is the only one I don't have and I really want that next.

Also, SDR: thanks for the Battlefoam link.  O0

Bison

Stop tempting me damn it!  Is Descent a better game?  I saw it at the LFGS the other night.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 09:04:48 AM

If you've got limited table space you should avoid Armada.  You need 36x48 for everything except the introductory battle.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 10:10:24 AM
Is Descent a better game?  I saw it at the LFGS the other night.

I've not played Descent, but I have played Doom: The Boardgame (I reviewed it for That Other SiteTM a looooong time ago); Doom is the 'father' of Descent, apparently, and Imperial Assault is basically Descent in another wrapper, but with several improvements. At least, that's how some have described it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/33kkzi/already_have_descent_is_imperial_assault_worth_it/

Now, Doom (and from my understanding, Descent) are both of the same format, where one player takes on the role of the DM (I think they call them 'Overlord' in Descent but I can't remember their nomenclature in Doom), and the other players are controlling individual characters, so it's pretty much 'DM versus everyone' - though the game system(s) spell out how the areas look and what encounters there are. The DM player moves and rolls for the bad guys, and etcetera etcetera.

In Imperial Assault, it's more of a player-versus-player system. I know, that's pretty much the same thing, but hear me out. I felt that Doom was more like Hero Quest, where one player knows all the corridors, rooms, loot, and bad guys (the DM) whereas the players are out to discover, explore, and fight. (And loot.) Imperial Assault is much more story-driven; from what I've seen the map is laid out for all to see and both sides get objectives (usually one side has to do X and the other has to prevent that, but some are more complicated than just that). Both sides are more or less on equal footing in IA. One big difference I can note from my readings is that you cannot move through enemy pieces in Doom or Descent, but in IA, you can, which pretty much opens up the entire map and stops blocking.

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 10:10:24 AM
Stop tempting me damn it!

Isn't that what we're all here for? To be ANTI-12-step when it comes to game purchases?  ^-^

Silent Disapproval Robot

I ended up buying a Battlefoam pack for the game.  I like the design but the cutouts are a little too snug in some cases and I can easily see myself breaking off the guns on an X-Wing while trying to pull the thing out of the foam.

At any rate, here are some of the new toys.  I always loved the look of the Y-Wing and I loved flying a B-Wing in the X-Wing computer games so grabbing some of them was a no-brainer.

The corvette is just ridiculous.  I'm going to have to buy some more TIE fighters and bombers just so the Imps will have something to try to take it down with.

I think I'm going to be a purist and just purchase ships that appeared in the movies. 

The collection so far:

Rebels:

4x      X-Wing (3 standard, 1 ace)
2x      A-Wing (1 standard, 1 ace)
2x      B-Wing (1 standard, 1 ace)
1x      Y-Wing 
1x      E-Wing
1x      K-Wing
1x      T-70 X-Wing (new version from the upcoming film)
1x      YT-1300 (Millennium Falcon)
1x      YT-2400 freighter
1x      Tantive IV Correllian Corvette
1x      Rebel Transport

Empire:
4x     TIE Fighter
2x     TIE Bomber
2x     TIE Advanced (1 grey, 1 blue-grey)
3x     TIE Interceptor (1 standard, 2 aces)
2x     TIE F/O   (new TIE from the upcoming film)
1x     TIE Punisher
1x     Lambda class shuttle
1x     Firespray-31 (Boba Fett's Slave I) *(can also be used as scum)
1x     Vt-49 Decimator
1x     Imperial Raider

Scum
2x      Z-95 Headhunters *(can be used as rebel)
1x      HAWK-290 *(can be used as rebel)
1x      Y-Wing *(can be used as rebel)
1x      Kihraxz fighter

BanzaiCat

That Correllian Corvette looks sweet!

Bison

Trying to decide what to pick up first.  I'm leaning toward the 2 aces packs or Falcon/Slave I.