Self-Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

Started by mirth, March 19, 2018, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I love my car, but even going 5 minutes down the road is a chore because dumbasses. I can't go through one intersection without seeing a dozen idiots not signal. Admittedly not using a turn signal is one of my biggest driving peeves - it's just such a simple f*cking thing to do, if someone can't do it they're either too lazy or too stupid to remember to breathe. And in Texas, it's state law that you have to use a signal even in an obvious turning situation, but cops don't pull anyone over for doing that. Hell, most cops don't even bother with turn signals either. It's an $89.50 fine here in this county - I would think they could pull over 5,000 people a day easily for failing to signal a lane change or turn and earn a sh*t ton of money.

What gets me is if some asshole hits their brakes and turns without signalling, I lay the horn on them. I usually get the finger in reply, which mystifies me - they're the dumbass. They just didn't like getting called out for being stupid. Usually I just smile and wave, which of course means I give them the finger.

Steelgrave

Then this one is for you, BC. And hell, the rest of us too since it's not an isolated issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMO4nyZ9xG8

BanzaiCat

^ LOL yeah I saw that before. There's quite a few snarky YT vids that take that tack.

Gusington

^I have discovered people lately that don't know how to even use the signal, never mind not using it all. They push it up and go left, or the opposite.

Defensive driving saves!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I've been thinking of starting an Etsy site offering faux vacu-form Claymore mines (with the the words 'THIS SIDE TOWARDS ENEMY' highlighted in reflective paint) that one can attach to the cardinal points of one's car.

Mayhaps traffic etiquette in the surrounding area will improve...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Oops

But the system couldn't activate the brakes, the NTSB said.

"According to Uber, emergency braking maneuvers are not enabled while the vehicle is under computer control, to reduce the potential for erratic vehicle behavior," investigators said.

The responsibility for hitting the brakes was left with a safety driver, who sits behind the wheel monitoring the autonomous test vehicle. Even though Uber's computers concluded the car would hit the pedestrian 1.3 seconds before impact, or about 82 feet (25 meters) away, it also didn't alert the driver and she was looking away from the road at the time, according to NTSB.

The Volvo XC90 SUV was also equipped with a separate set of sensors that could activate an automated braking system, which the company calls City Safety. It is also capable of detecting driver awareness. However, the systems were disabled whenever the SUV was being operated in self-driving mode, according to NTSB.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-24/uber-self-driving-system-saw-pedestrian-killed-but-didn-t-stop
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Ok ,that's just stupid. They deserve to have their asses sued off...  >:(

em2nought

Quote from: Emeraldlis on March 20, 2018, 07:37:35 AM
I just don't want technology taking away from me the fun of driving!

Pedestrians are by and large idiots from my observations, particularly the ones who seem to purposely defy traffic.  Too many forces working against you here though.  Drivers are becoming too dumb to drive properly.  New big money autonomous car $ales to everyone forcing all old vehicles off the road, insurance companies who will make it impossible to afford insurance it you drive it yourself.  It's going to be safer for your average idiot.  Scamming with accidents will decrease.  The odds or you and I getting hurt will probably go up instead, but that's small potatoes compared to "the boon of interfering with survival of the fittest" or "the creed of it's for the children".  We'll all have nice big car loan$ to pay, hurray economy.  Care for some Brawndo?  ;D
Stolen elections have consequences.

Gusington

I think we can all agree...idiots abound.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd