Main Menu

RAM

Started by Jarhead0331, July 09, 2018, 10:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

So windows all of a sudden is only detecting 24GB of my 32GB installed. I have run windows memory test and it found no errors. For some reason, it is not detecting one of my 8GB sticks. Is there any other way to ID the problem, other than the obvious, ie. Removing them one by one and checking to see which is not being detected?

I'll note that each stick has blue leds on them and all of the lights are flashing. So each stick is definitely receiving power.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

Does your Bios or mobo software recognize all your sticks.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

DoctorQuest

You may need to hit a PF key during your boot to enter the setup application. All motherboards are a little different but it is usually menu driven and should have a memory display.

Any other obvious errors prior to this?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

jamus34

I was going to say your bios / UEFI should have a screen showing ram. It should tell you which stick isn't picking up (ie bank A slot 0)

Also what you can try doing is removing and reseating the ram.

May not be you issue but I had that come up when I built my current pc. Due to the size of my cpu cooler I didn't seat a stick of ram perfect (although it clicked) and would not read.

Just a thought.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Thanks guys...the bios was not detecting one of the sticks. I opened the case and removed and replaced the sticks and that seemed to correct the problem. After rebooting, it was detecting the full 32 GB, but it had a hardware reserve set at like 11GB, so only 20-21GB were available. I had to research that one too, but was able to make the necessary adjustment.

I was getting some hard crashes and blue screens after resetting the sticks though...I'm afraid one of them is going bad, or perhaps its just the motherboard. I'm going to treat it like asbestos for awhile, hoping that if I don't mess with it, it won't hurt me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18