Strategy/Tactical Battles in Tudor Period?

Started by spelk, January 17, 2018, 07:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

I've been watching The White Queen and The White Princess, covering the goings-on in Tudor times. Then I realised, I don't really know what wargames cover that period that would allow me to sample some of the era in terms of Strategic or Tactical level combat, manoeuvre or logistics. (I presumed something along the lines of Paradox/AGEOD would have something... possibly PIke & Shot custom stuff?)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a game that would give me specifically the Tudor era, from about Henry VII through the Elizabeth I? (approx 1485-1603?)

Gusington

Defintely Pike and Shot, and there's also an English Civil War mod for Medieval 2 Total War still available called For King and Country, but that may be a bit to late for you.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Late-era CK2 or early-era EUIV must cover that, right?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

CJReich46

Quote from: Toonces on January 17, 2018, 12:44:01 PM
Late-era CK2 or early-era EUIV must cover that, right?

Yeah. Definitely EU IV.

Pike and Shot recommended.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

glen55

Not really what you're looking for, but I'll give a shout out to Kingmaker, an excellent Diplomacy-like multiplayer board game covering the War of the Roses (i.e., the genesis of the Tudors).

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/987/kingmaker
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

SirAndrewD

Quote from: glen55 on January 17, 2018, 01:54:29 PM
Not really what you're looking for, but I'll give a shout out to Kingmaker, an excellent Diplomacy-like multiplayer board game covering the War of the Roses (i.e., the genesis of the Tudors).

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/987/kingmaker

There was a PC version of that one in the 90's that I played a lot.  Too bad there's no modern equivalent.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

^ I have that installed somewhere still.  It's fun, but the graphics are hella-bad on the eyes.  I could never quite get past that unfortunately.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

mikeck

Pike and shot for tactical definitely
AGEOD makes "Thirty Years War" and "the English civil war". Both are 50-100 years past your period but it's the best i got!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2018, 08:38:05 AM
Defintely Pike and Shot, and there's also an English Civil War mod for Medieval 2 Total War still available called For King and Country, but that may be a bit to late for you.

In Pike and Shot there is a Flodden even.  Maybe its a user-built mod.  I lost.