Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904 Naval Wargame

Started by totemgam, October 11, 2018, 07:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

If you know of any more please let me know...one of my favorite eras and topics.

There is a game in development by the creator of DarthMod and the Ulimate General games called Dreadnought, but I don't know what the release date is.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RyanE

Quote from: mikeck on October 17, 2018, 08:36:11 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 17, 2018, 05:50:50 PM

...with no one else standing up and saying they thought it was wrong too makes me wonder at the complexion of this forum.  I am very conservative in politics, having grown up in the rural US.  But I have a hard time pushing back on liberals who scream racism as very turn when I see this happen on a forum.

Alright....slow your roll. If you're offended, then say so (like you did). Gus backed you up and was offended too. But just because the rest of us didn't pile on, doesn't suggest anything about the rest of it. Maybe we didn't find it as offensive as you do. I wouldn't use it, but If I'm not offended by it enough to post here, that doesn't mean anything more than that...or that we felt you had articulated your point well and admin would handle it

Edit: there...Gus deservedly banned him. I think we all understand why your offended but please don't generalize about the rest of us because maybe we weren't or didn't feel the need to add on

This isn't about being me being offended.  Everyone should be offended, shocked, and disappointed.  The fact that you seem to be "less offended" than I am scares me as much as anything. 

Its about common sense.  This isn't like saying someone is overweight because they eat too much.  Its a derogatory term with incredibly racial overtones related to the US imprisoning families for nothing more than their parents race...in the modern era.  People not being as offended as someone else isn't even close debatable position.  This is why idiots get away with saying stuff like that.  Because other people stand around and are "less offended" Its especially disappointing on a board that so focuses on history.  It just reinforces to me that racism will never go away.  It just gets hidden away and leaks out every now and then.  Its just like my wife being called a Dirty Jap in a crowded movie theater.  No one said a thing.  They just let it happen.

btw, I appreciate mods stepping in quickly.  It does restore some of my faith.  But you can see in those comments that it was sitting at the forefront of his mind and he truly believes it, regardless of bans.  Now he is feeling like victim.

WallysWorld

For those asking about other games in the pre-dreadnought era, don't forget NWS' Steam and Iron: Russo-Japanese War game which I enjoy playing minus the pretty graphics.

And then of course, Rule the Waves 2 is coming from NWS.

I still play Distant Guns and Jutland once in a while and I'll definitely keep on eye on this upcoming game.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mikeck

Ryan, I get it. What was said was offensive in general and particularly offensive to you. But not everyone is as equally offended by things or as equally upset. Your reaction and Gus' ban were both reasonable. What I'm saying though, is that you can't make a judgment about other people on this forum simply because they didn't post to criticize the statement after you did.

I thought it was an inappropriate term to use. You and Gus pointed it out and you explained why you were particularly offended. I didn't find it so offensive and repulsive that I felt compelled to add my own post stating as much. I don't think that's says anything about me other than I thought you said what needed to be said and I simply wasn't as offended.

I'm not saying your response was unreasonable. Just that it's unfair to declare that other on this forum are somehow morally deficient because we didn't as well.

You and Gus had it covered brother. It was handled.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

or another possible explaination....

like me, i have no real interest in this game and haven't been reading this thread often until this morning after the issue was already dealt with.  i have to assume this might not be the most popular thread that every forum member is monitoring and commenting on every day.

i agree the term is offensive and not something i would use....but saying that is a reflection of all forum members beliefs is pretty judgemental too....especially when many may not have even seen it.

Gusington

I MONITOR THIS THREAD EVERY DAY.

Because I need a game like this with pretty graphics.

Carry on 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on October 18, 2018, 08:00:13 AM
I MONITOR THIS THREAD EVERY DAY.

Because I need a game like this with pretty graphics.

Carry on 😎

Any game simulating any type of warfare from 1865-1914 is good...'cause their ain't many. Also 1453-1700 I suppose
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Sir Slash

I thought Steam & Iron was working on an ironclad era version of their game. I'd grab that up.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

I'd buy any naval game that -when a ship fired its large main guns- looked somewhat like the battleship in the 11 second mark below. Sounds nit-picky but I want to feel like it's a powerful gun. Most just have a ball of Orange that appears and then turns black...but it doesn't "roll"

That was the selling point of Naval Action for me. It actually looks like a cannon firing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrUYQew3xE

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

totemgam

Quote from: mikeck on October 18, 2018, 12:34:50 PM
I'd buy any naval game that -when a ship fired its large main guns- looked somewhat like the battleship in the 11 second mark below. Sounds nit-picky but I want to feel like it's a powerful gun. Most just have a ball of Orange that appears and then turns black...but it doesn't "roll"

That was the selling point of Naval Action for me. It actually looks like a cannon firing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrUYQew3xE

That's wonderful!

totemgam

Steelgrave