Freeman: Guerilla Warfare

Started by Jarhead0331, February 01, 2018, 02:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Asid bought me this for my birthday - thank you Asid - but I was pissed off right off the bat with being chucked on the ground with a pistol. Everyone - and I mean everyone else - has an automatic weapon!

So it starts right off the bat pissing you off.

However - I've only fired it up a couple of times. So I'm off to give it another bash - see how I can make some money to be able to buy a damn gun that I can use for targets further than 30 yards away!
Alba gu' brath

GeneralHawk

Reading thru this thread led me to watch a few videos. Pulled the trigger and got it. Looks fascinating and different from what's out there. Not sure how much I'll dabble before full release but wanted to support this type of developer.
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

jomni

Hi. I saved a game but don't know how to load it?  :knuppel2:

In the Steam Discussion, looks like it's a common problem.  So better avoid this until it's fixed.

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on March 10, 2018, 06:52:48 PM
Hi. I saved a game but don't know how to load it?  :knuppel2:

In the Steam Discussion, looks like it's a common problem.  So better avoid this until it's fixed.
Yeah - obviously it's ALPHA - but it's really annoying that the one time I managed to get a weapon (by killing another team - you probably won't play this long enough in one stint to be able to afford a half decent weapon), I saved the game and when I came back, I was back with a pistol.  :pullhair:

A save would've been very handy and likely not going to get fired up much until they put that in. Otherwise, you're back at the grindfest beginning...grind being to try and get enough money to get a weapon or finding one from another team you've killed - both of which are very difficult...getting money is very slow and getting a weapon is hit and miss...and that's if you manage to kill another team with your pistol. All other teams...all of them...are considerably stronger than your team AND have automatic weapons.  :knuppel2:

Like I said - it's alpha - but in it's current state it's pretty difficult and a bit of a grindfest.

It does look promising though. It made me think back to the day of a game where you were an F-16 pilot and a member of a group of mercenaries...kind of would like to see that (being presented with missions to take, gaining money and weapons)...this is along those lines
Alba gu' brath

jomni

How / where do you buy weapons? Or you rely on just drops?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on March 15, 2018, 04:20:28 AM
How / where do you buy weapons? Or you rely on just drops?
Go to a town and trade...there are 3 types of trade iirc - Weapons, Merchant and Trader??? (I can't recall correctly). But you don't have enough money right away and need to earn some by killing a few bandits
Alba gu' brath

ArizonaTank

Been playing a bit of this recently. Love the tactical aspects of firefights, particularly once you have about 30 to 40 men.

Compared to M&B, you have much more control over your squads and troops. I love that you can even give equipment and weapons directly to your guys. So I have created a heavy squad of MGs and Grenade launchers, light squads for scouting and a line squad of experience troops.

In battle, I usually send out light squads made up of sharpshooters to scout. Once they have found the enemy, I send in the hvy squad to lay down fire, while the line squad circles the flank.

While I can't say the AI is brilliant, at least it gives the impression of compentence. However, if you let your squads run on auto, you will be dissapointed. Better to give them direct orders and waypoints, then the game really shines. Fire and maneuver, and tactical deployment really make a difference. However, I don't see the enemy doing anything really clever yet. The enemy AI does seem to reinforce once contact is made. I have seen enemy squads running toward the front line to help their buddies.

I am having a great time with it. Well worth the $10 I spent. But I can't really recommend it yet. This is because the strategy game still has some rough spots. For example, you can talk to leaders from the other factions, but none of them will give jobs or have anything to say to you. Balance between grind vs. experience gain still needs tweeking, 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

W8taminute

Good assessment Arizona.  I have the game and agree with your comments.  Freeman is fun but gets stale after a while.  I suppose if more activities get released in a patch that allow your character to do more tasks the game will get better.  Better in that it will hold your attention longer than it currently is. 

I haven't played this game in quite a few months so I should fire it up again and see what it's like now after all the recent updates.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

New patch today with some very significant changes  :bd:

From the dev log:

Freeman now has combined arms combat! We have added several combat vehicles and AT units to the game, including armored mortar car, light tank and APC. Vehicles are very different from each other, some of them are good against infantry, some are good at long range support and some are more effective against other vehicles. This feature added much more depth to the gameplay and a brand new combat experience.

Had a little bit of time to play around with it at lunch. Almost had a heart attack when this enemy armored car comes over the hill, guns blazing..

Then got my own; A mobile mortar and an armored car. This brought an AFV to AFV aspect to my lunch session.  I am not convinced the enemy AI knows what to do with AFVs yet...but they are out there, running around, and deadly.

The new patch wiped out my carefully procured convoy of trucks, leaving my guys to start hoofing it everywhere, but hey, its still early access...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

W8taminute

I fired up the game again last night after being away from it for many months.  I was pleasantly surprised but I realized that my old save game got altered somehow.  My main character doesn't have any clothes on anymore!  Needed to buy new equipment then I realized I should just start another game. 

Now with news of today's patch and I can't wait to get back home tonight to try Freeman out again.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

Quote from: W8taminute on October 24, 2018, 03:02:40 PM
Now with news of today's patch and I can't wait to get back home tonight to try Freeman out again.   O0

Might be time to pick up one of those RPGs
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

SirAndrewD

I'm really liking how this game is coming along.  It's going to be nice when it's complete.

It's already fun now considering how little I paid.  Absolute money's worth product on the Steam sales.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Sadly, the new patch is broken, for me anyway.

When I load a save, the restore wipes out most of my cash, and inventory. So I suddenly have not enough money to pay the troops, and my 7 vehicles are all running on fumes. 

I need to set the game aside until they fix it.

But I did get a few more battles in, and the game is definately taking some very good turns.  One of my squads broke and ran after taking casualties...I haven't seen that before. They didn't leave the battle, but sat in a quiet place for a bit, then I could bring them back to the fight. Saw an enemy unit pop smoke and flee, nice touch.

One very nice thing that I really like about the game is that the enemy, your guys, and your weapon for that matter, aren't uber accurate. There is often alot of lead flying around, with bullets kicking up dust, and splintering nearby trees.

Being within 100 meters of the enemy doesn't mean insta-death....they miss...but they can hit as well. Shooting at long distances you have to account for bullet drop and delay. If your target is running, very hard to hit over 200m. You know they have a bead on you when bullets start whizzing past your ear and hitting nearby trees.  Very nice.

Seems like the maps have gotten an upgrade with the new patch as well. They were nice before, but seeing more variety now...or at least it seems that way.

Nice to see enemy armored vehicles, but the few I have seen tend to charge with no infantry support, then get killed. But one of them chopped one of my low level squads to pieces before it died.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

SirAndrewD

Same here ArizonaTank.  Loading a save sets everything back to starting cash and gear.   I'm sure they'll iron it out soon.  The new changes are great from what I got to play with.

EDIT:  Devs confirmed a Hotfix is due soon.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback