Previous topic - Next topic

rstites25

I setup the 1830 game and randomized the order:

Woodall
Rex
Chris
Mike
l'amour

I had to change the extension to .vsav so Woodall will need it change it to .rails in order for it work.

Woodall

I've never used Rails before so I'm flying blind here. Bid $200 for the C&A private because the PRR is always a winner. Be careful outbidding me.  :knuppel2:

l'amour

Oh yeah, I was going to read the rules..

rstites25

Just FYI, if you open the map in rails, that will show information about the companies as well as the different phases of the game. It's especially helpful if you forget the benefit tied to a private.

I put a bid in on the M&H.

Chris is up.

binkman

I bid on the D&H, Mike is up. I had a problem with the file initially. Let me know if anyone has trouble opening it.

egg_salad

Bid for the D&H.  I think, can't remember.

L'amour is up.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

l'amour

I've bid on the C&A. Woodall is next.

I've not quite figured out Rail yet, so I apologise if I'm a bit slow..

Woodall

So, since we shifted from my bid item to the next, does that mean it is closed and I retain the private? (obviously I haven't looked at the log)

rstites25

The initial auctions in 1830 are a bit funky (but fairly typical for 18xx). You can either buy the cheapest private or place a bid on one of the others. When someone buys the cheapest available RR, it potentially sets off a cascade of auctions. If the next highest private has a bid on it (and only 1 bid), the bidder gets that private for the bid price. If two people have bid on it, then those two (and only those two) have a normal auction for just that private. This continues until you reach another private that doesn't have a bid on it (at which time the cascade stops).

For example, if we have the following privates and bids:

PvA:  No bid
PvB:  P1 $30  P2 $35
PvC:  P3 $50
PvD:  No bid
PvE:  P4  $75  P5 $80

If the next player buys PvA, then PvB will be auctioned off between P1 and P2. P1 will have the first bid (since he's lowest) and have to bid at least $40. P1 and P2 continue bidding until someone passes. At that point PvC would be given to P3 for $50 since he's the only bid. The next private doesn't have a bid, so the "cascade" stops and the next player again has the option to bid on PvE or buy the cheapest private (now PvD)--or they could pass.

Conceivably, everyone could pass before all the privates are auctioned/sold. This would trigger an operating round, which would consist of paying out the privates that have been sold. Then it would be back to another stock round to finish off the privates (hopefully) and then once the privates are gone, stocks can be purchased.

Right now we have:

SVNRR:  No bid
C&Stl:  No bid
D&H: Chris $75
M&H: Rex $115 and Mike $120
C&A: Woodall $200 and l'amour $205
B&O: No bid

Right now if, the SVNRR is bought, nothing happens because there are no bids on the C&StL. Once there's a bid on the C&StL, then the purchase of teh SVNRR will trigger the auction of the remaining privates (except the B&O).

Also, once you've placed a bid on a private, there's no need to bid on it again until it gets auctioned off. placing gets you into the actual auction that will happen later.

Woodall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYkt2RkhsI

Now you just usin' words I don't understand. So I'ma haf to pass.

rstites25

I joined into the C&A fun. Over to Chris.

Woodall

By any chance, do you guys have any old magic cards? I'm looking for a very high quality scan of a revised Bayou. And other revised dual lands.

binkman

I bid on the C&StL. Mike is up.

Sounds legit James.

Woodall

I'm actually authenticating old stuff, nothing to do with my recent fed visit.

Woodall

So if I'm the only bid on a private, do I win that private automatically?