Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

2.0) It won't make any difference for contract resolution, so while they're working out an agreement on particulars I'm going to provisionally treat Claudius as the Roman Consul -- partly because the Frog agreed to a later draft of the Contract, and partly because it's easier for me to get in touch with him for making PM decisions going forward.

2.1) 2nd Mandatory Business -- no new PontMax needed yet.

Edited to add: I've got to go back to doing some late yardwork, so it may be tomorrow before I continue processing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

3.1) 3rd Mandatory Business -- I'm not sure they have contracted to AVOID appointing a dictator; they just didn't contract TO DO that.

3.2) No Dictator appointed by the Consuls.

4.1) Therefore also no MoH.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

5.1) 5th Mandatory -- the Roman Consul Proposes, per contract, Malize's Fabius Maximus as the new Censor.

5.2) Contracted Players majority-vote in favor.

5.3) FabiMax becomes the new Censor. His Influence goes up 5 from 9 to 14. (Total Inf up to 40.)

5.4) Cornelius passes the Presiding Magistrate duty over to FabiMax temporarily.

(NOTE! -- while processing this I did a normal checkup and realized I had somehow not saved the return of FabiMax's votes to the Senate when he was Ransomed home. And that was back before the pre-Senate snapshots! I've added a note to the snapshot that the vote tally should be 38.)

JasonPratt

6.1) Sixth Mandatory -- AzTank is forbidden by Contract to prosecute anyone who voted for him; and doesn't care to prosecute I.I.'s senators (who might or might not have voted for him). So PaulMac hands back PM duties to Cornelius. All senators (not territories) lose their suspicion markers.

JasonPratt

7.1) Seventh Mandatory -- Roman Consul Cornelius Proposes to Replace his fellow Plutocrat Acilius as Governor of Hispania Citerior, with Manlius of the Militarists.

7.2) All Contracted Players majority-vote in favor.

7.3) Acilius doesn't come home (he still has SardiCorsi to Govern), but he does pack up and out of Hispania.

7.4) Manlius departs Rome for Hispania, resetting the term marker there to 3. The territory loses its suspicion of corruption. Vote tally goes down -2 Ora and -6 knights from 23 to 15.

JasonPratt

This ends all Mandatory Business.

8.1) Cornelius offers a Batch Proposal for the Concessions: Land Commissioner to the Progressives for another Turn (Erax can choose who specifically gets it); and Tax Farming to the Aristocrats (ditto for I.I.).

This wasn't part of the Contract, so will need to be voted randomly. The Frog declares no voting order necessary.

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

While we're waiting for the Batch Concession voting: the Frog would like to discuss the possibility of instituting another level of Veteran Reform.

As the Republic gains more and more Vets, it becomes more and more expensive to institute reforms; but of course the Vets thus become more difficult to lose (needing to be reconstituted from the logistic reserve at 10 Talents a pop).

Currently the Republic has 88 Talents. He intends to Propose Raising the remaining two Legions again, so that will leave 68 Talents.

The Republic has 9 Veteran Legions currently (as far as I can tell): 4 on Active Reserve, and 5 Deployed to the Lusitanian Front. (Deployed Vets can benefit from new training regimen reforms, too; they don't all have to be Recalled first, although in this case that could happen anyway.)

Thus (per the current house rules I'm testing out), the cost for 2nd level Reforms would be (10 Talents * 2nd Level) + (10 Talents * 9 Veterans) = 110.

Naturally this would put the Republic in a hole by 42 Talents. But you'll be gaining 45 back definitely this Turn when the MacWar goes down, not even counting the 10 Talents of the 2ndIllWar (which isn't as certain to be Defeated due to the D/S risks). Add the normal 100 income, plus a probable net-positive income from the Provinces (thanks to Developed Gallia Cisalpina offsetting undeveloped costs of other Provinces), and the Republic should still be in the black after the next income phase. (Not even counting senator donations.)

Even if it isn't, the Frog is willing to reveal that he has a new Statesman ready to play at the end of this Turn. So regardless of what happens to Cornelius this Turn (or during the next Mortality Phase), you'll almost surely have another Plutocrat to act as a safety net for another turn or two until the Republic gets solidly back in the black again with more fiscal conservativism.

He acknowledges there's a very small but real risk that y'all could lose the game doing this: something could happen to Cornelius, and then a bad event roll could auto-spend the Republic back below zero again during the next Forum round. If that happens, you wouldn't have a Plutocrat in place again as HRAO yet, and the Republic would be toast!

So he certainly wouldn't blame anyone for not being willing to risk the game on this move, even if it's a very small risk: this is hardly an emergency situation!

But, on the other hand, having a Plutocrat available to safety net things might be the only way to level up the Vets for a while. That opportunity is currently available.

But on yet the other hand again, y'all might prefer to set up a more secure safety net later for leveling up the Vets, and not do so this Turn.

(Note that this is not an official Proposal yet; he's only bringing up the matter for discussion while Players are voting on the Concession Batch Proposal.)

malize

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 13, 2019, 06:30:44 PM
6.1) Sixth Mandatory -- AzTank is forbidden by Contract to prosecute anyone who voted for him; and doesn't care to prosecute I.I.'s senators (who might or might not have voted for him). So PaulMac hands back PM duties to Cornelius. All senators (not territories) lose their suspicion markers.

??

voting for 8.1

JasonPratt

Sorry, a neuron in my brain forgot PaulMac wasn't still censor!

You're allowed to prosecute I.I. if you like. ;)

malize

Lol nah.   I was just like "wait, what?"

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Erax

Yes to 8.1.

And yes to veteran reform, though I will note we can reduce our costs by disbanding a couple of veteran legions now and then bringing them back after the reform. Naturally this will also reduce our military power vs. the three wars but it is an option.

JasonPratt

I'll try running the numbers to see how much punch can still be gotten if two Vets are disbanded. It would save 20 Talents on the upgrade plus another 20 Talents on upkeep next turn (I don't think Legions can be disbanded and then raised again on the same Turn), so that's 40 cash net saved. (Not counting any cash saved on upkeep next turn by any casualties to the fights! ;) )

It would remain absolutely mandatory to crush the 2nd MacWar at least, so as to prevent its cost and take its spoils; but if y'all are seriously hampering your ability to knock out the other two wars, they may still be around next turn to take another 20 to 40 cash.

It might come down to a choice between wiping all three wars this turn (aside from D/S risks) at the cost of a small possibility of losing the game next turn; or wiping all three wars and just waiting until next turn to go for the veteran upgrade when you're hopefully more cash-flush after the fight (though you'll have three more veterans by then, too, if all goes well!); or upgrading the vets now and reducing your upkeep and upgrade costs to a safe level while leaving one or even two of the wars on the board rather than increase the risk or no victories against them.

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I'm sure we have a majority for the Concession Batch Proposal now, but it's late here and I need to sleep, so I'll process tomorrow morning (probably).