Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Erax on June 03, 2019, 04:57:29 PM
I propose a contract: Claudius and Aemilius Macedonicus for Consules, with Fabius Maximus for Censor. The Censor will not prosecute any who agree to the Contract.

Agreed
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Well, that's 18 votes -- nowhere near enough for a majority yet, but a start!

There are still potentially 68 votes that might oppose the contract plan. If I've done my calcs correctly, I think you'll need 26 more votes to sign on before I can start automatically processing. (That would put the spread at 44 votes in favor, and leaving only 42 potentially against.)

In effect that means either Malize, or I.I. and Tripoli combined (neither one would be enough to get over the threshold), will have to sign on.

Note that Erax's proposed Contract doesn't go very far, and leaves open a lot of details which could be hashed out later (including the question of a Dictator, which is still validly possible for this turn. That's a question AzTank and the Frog would have to work out among themselves.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

I don't necessarily disagree with the proposal.  However, what would you propose for taking on the various wars, if possible without a dictator?  If we have a good shot at winning the wars without a dictator, I would be inclined to agree to the proposal.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

The only way to possibly win all three current wars without a dictator this turn, would be to send a competent senator to be Governor of Hispania Citerior (currently Gov'd by Acilius of the Plutocrats with a Mil of 2), along with serious Legionary Garrisons, to catch and wipe the Lusitanian Revolt at the point of its attack. Then send the Consuls against the other two Wars (presumably AzTank's AemiMac against the Macedonian War, and the other Consul against 2ndIll.)

You'd be trying to roll the dice on beating three wars with stretched Legions however -- and two Legions short unless you re-Raise the casualties from last turn. (Though on the other hand you should have two more Veteran Legions now to hit with, one of them still deployed at the Lusitanian front.) I'm not entirely sure that's feasible even with a Dictator/MoH combo added in, although the odds would be a little better than the same situation last turn (since the 2ndIll War is weaker than the 1st was.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Erax

We have Claudius (Mil 2), Acilius (Mil 2) and Macedonicus (Mil 5). The province and its provincial legion give us another 2 MS (Military Strength). Add to this 9 veterans (18 MS) and 14 regulars (14 MS) for a grand total of 43 MS, up to 45 if we raise two legions. The wars have a combined strength of 20. If we raise one legion, we can attack them all at (44-20)/3 = +8 each, which is a victory at 6+ on the dice, or 95% excluding D/S. If we raise both legions we can raise the odds on one war to 98%.

We could also switch the governorship of HispCit from Acilius to Manlius, this would give us an extra 9 Mil bringing our total MS to 52-54; at 53 we'd have an average adjustment of (53-20)/3 = +11 each, for three assured victories barring D/S results.

Personally, I'd vote for the second option, raising all legions as well. We have the money for it and we'll make it back (and more) with the spoils.

Tripoli

I would tend to go with the second option.  For what its worth, it also gets Manlius out of Rome, if that is something for those who are concerned about the militarists getting too much power, ie, it reduces my vote count.  It helps me accomplish my objective of avoiding a dictator.

JasonPratt

I've dropped a line to AzTank and the Frog, since their prior approval of the Contract will need revisiting with these changes.

JasonPratt

The Frog says he is in favor of the second option -- and is generally in favor of any most-expensive-option.  >:D

(For obvious reasons, I suppose, although he didn't elaborate.  :coolsmiley: )

malize

Erax

Very well, revised contract proposal (and I think we already have the votes):

Claudius and Aemilius Macedonicus for Consules, with Fabius Maximus for Censor. The Censor will not prosecute any who agree to the Contract. Acilius loses the governorship of HispCit which passes to Manlius.

We agree to distribute our forces so each of the three wars is attacked (or in the case of the revolt, attacks us) with the same modifier, or as close as we can get to it.

JasonPratt

Yeah, with Malize on board, you don't really need AzTank's revised approval anymore. And I.I. can just hang out and watch for opportunities. ;)

The revised contract doesn't mention whether you're going to raise the last two Legions again, although I think that was part of your military plan earlier...?

Erax

I'll leave the 2 legions out of the contract becuse I brought them up halfway through the discussion, but the new Consul can propose raising them if he wishes (and I'll vote in favor).

JasonPratt

Okay, I'll start processing tomorrow afternoon -- you've got enough votes pledged to start now, but I'm late tonight from doing other things. (Sorry.  :-[ )

Note to all players! -- since no Dictator is involved, Tribunes can veto any Proposals in this Contract. I don't know why anyone would want to do that, but as umpire I should still remind players.  O:-)

If it should happen that any Players are planning to drop a wrench in this Proposal (although again I don't know why you would), you'll have some opportunities to let me know by p-mail before I start processing tomorrow afternoon -- which will start sometime after 3:45pm Central US standard time.

Tripoli

Sorry, I was in Iowa yesterday.  For the record, I agree with the second option.

JasonPratt

THE 15TH TURN SENATORIAL CONTRACT:

1.1) Roman Consul Flaminius Proposes Claudius of the Plutocrats and Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus of the Conservatives, as the new Consuls.

1.2) Contracted Players vote in favor for a majority.

1.3) Claudius gains 5 Inf, up from 9 to 14. (Total up from 15 to 20.)

1.4) PaulMac gains 5 Inf, up from 22 to 27. (Total up from 43 to 48.) He resigns as Censor.

1.5) Flaminius resigns PM post.

I'll need to find out from the Frog and AzTank whom they wish to be which Consuls. Presumably PaulMac would be Field Consul.