Gamersgate not DRM free

Started by bobarossa, August 21, 2019, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

I used to buy a lot of games through Gamersgate that were listed as DRM free.  They let you keep the install files on your computer so I preserved them in case they ever went under.  I recently put together a completely new computer and thought I would install a couple of those old gamersgate games on it.  After fiinally figuring out the process to use the saved install files instead of downloading them again, I discovered that either way you still have to sign in to Gamersgate before it will install.  This is the definition of DRM to me (requiring an external Ok to reinstall a game I bought).  Gamersgate hardly has anything of interest on their site any more and I expect them to go under at some point.  Disappointed to discover I will lose ability to reinstall all those games when that happens.  Also discovered they have dropped the ability to reinstall Pride of Nations as they say it is not in my library.  Guessing they lost rights to carry it and deleted it from the system. 

Old TImer

Yeah I just tried to install one of the games on my Gamersgate library.
Downloaded the installer, the game installed no problem.  Then I used
the activation key given......activation failed.  Not only that but when
I asked Gamersgate to re-activate the registration key, I was told
they couldn't do that as their relationship with the game publisher
had run out.  So theres a game in my library on Gamersgate that
I can't use.  Needless to say, I'm not a very happy camper.

Nefaro

Here's how I got proper installers, which don't require a login, from GG:

After buying, you download the Gamersgate installer.  Run their installer, sign in, and when the first install dialogue window pops up open the folder it's located in.

There will be a new folder in that location, likely labeled with a number.  The DRM-free installer will be there.  Copy the installer to another location.  Boom, done.  Back it up on your media of choice and run it without the required login.

Note:
I haven't needed to do this in a couple years, as I've not purchased anything from them lately.  However, that's how I did it for quite awhile.

Bardolph

Thanks! Thought there was some way to do it.
Went through my library and only had 2 games I was even remotely interested in keeping that didn't have Steam keys or that I hadn't acquired on Steam some other way. And one game seems to have had a Steam key added since the last time I looked.

Pretty much quit using Gamersgate when they dropped Rixty. I used to dump my extra change into one of those Coinstar things and get Rixty credit to blow on games on GG. Now that change goes to Amazon gift credit to buy boardgames ;)

bobarossa

Typically the only file in the numbered folder is a file named "launch" with no extension.  Never tried looking before the install ended.

Ian C

Remember Stadock's Impulse game store?

They sold it to (can't remember the name -gamestore ???). Now all the games I bought on it have been lost. No access from their online digital site and customer service support can't fix it. I had about a dozen games. Poof, gone.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ian C on August 22, 2019, 04:17:02 AM
Remember Stadock's Impulse game store?

They sold it to (can't remember the name -gamestore ???). Now all the games I bought on it have been lost. No access from their online digital site and customer service support can't fix it. I had about a dozen games. Poof, gone.

Believe it was Gamestop who then discontinued it at some point and replaced with their own download app.  I could be misremembering, but I think although the old legacy impulse games couldn't be downloaded from their new gamestop app, you could work through support to get them.....again, I may be confusing with another provider but for some reason remember possibly doing this for a game I had.  Wasn't the most elegant process, but still got it.....I didn't have many games through impulse so wasn't a huge loss to me but certainly understand how it could be for others.