Seriously, M:TG doesn't come with a rulebook?

Started by Cyrano, March 14, 2018, 02:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

I figure Vance is coming at me for this one, re: "Old Man Yells at Clouds", but, what nonsense is this?

https://kriegsspieler.blogspot.com/2018/03/dearest-mtg-rule-book.html
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

A:  Try doing that when you're on your phone (as I did at my FLGS).

B:  THIS IS NOT A RULE BOOK:  http://media.wizards.com/2014/docs/EN_M15_QckStrtBklt_LR_Crop.pdf

C:  This IS a rule book , of a sort, but is over 200 pages long:  http://media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/MagicCompRules%2020180119.pdf

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

A. You could load them onto a tablet instead of your phone.

B. You could print the rules off before playing.

C. 
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Cyrano

Got me so mad I'm making typos.

We are going to have a dramatic reading of the 227-page thing on the Grogcast.

mirth

Quote from: Cyrano on March 14, 2018, 02:49:12 PM
We are going to have a dramatic reading of the 227-page thing on the Grogcast.

Can't wait :P

Cyrano

C'mon we'll get our load on and have at it.

Brant will love it.

mirth

JasonPratt

Could be worse. Remember the video tutorials from Microprose's Shandalar game lo these many decades ago? And those were for a very legitimate adaptation of the game.  L:-) :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

As for tutorials online: Magic Online, via Steam, provides a good one, including practical examples of the special rules.

Except for the minor problem that the special rule tutorials are broken and so occasionally load up with the wrong cards, making it impossible to do what you're expected to do.  :tickedoff: :uglystupid2: :crazy2: :pullhair:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Nefaro

Even back in the day, I used to horde those little MtG rulebooks.

Probably still have some dated from as far back as ~94 or 95 packed away along with some cards.   :nerd:

I recall the need to start looking up the living MtG rules back around 2001 or thereabouts.  Those rulebooks never had clarifications of edge cases, and the full online rules had been growing to include those.  I still preferred having a damn physical manual, however, as a first reference and a go to for a rules refresher after a long hiatus. 

If I ever received a board game without a physical rule book, I'd be pissed.  :knuppel2:

Nefaro

All the more reason to go with LCGs for me, nowadays. 

Mage Wars Academy, Ashes of the Phoenixborn, Netrunner, and all sorts of others coming out nowadays.  You know what you get, with rulebook, and no need to gamble at getting good stuff in randomized boosters.   O0  It's where you probably wanna be if you're the type who just prefers to occasionally buy a pack and casually play.

EDIT:  Hrmm... maybe I'll break out Mage Wars Academy for a head-to-head next week.   :coolsmiley:

BanzaiCat

Bison

That meme is inaccurate.  Trap cards are played in yugiho not MtG.

JasonPratt

There are plenty of "trap" cards in MtG ...although considering 18K+ cards, maybe only a miniscule fraction of less than a percent, so "plenty" is relative. Like, a few dozen different kinds.

There isn't, yet, a "trap" effect. But, yeah, if someone busts out one of the (relatively) super-rare "trap" cards, that might be pretty gangsta by MtG standards.  :nerd: