Warhammer 40K Gladius-Relics of War

Started by Rayfer, November 24, 2017, 09:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Jarhead0331

Not impressed...one planet? Hardly the way a Warhammer 40K "4x" should be done...the Imperium contains millions of worlds. The emperor's navies are vast. One planet?

Also, if you're going to place the focus on war, how exactly is it going to be a 4x? No diplomacy, economy, research, etc. I dunno...looks more like a basic RTS to me.  Not expecting much from this.

I will note, this is from the same studio that did Pandora: First Contact. I never really got into that game, but I think there are some around here who enjoyed it...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2017, 09:51:18 AM
Also, if you're going to place the focus on war, how exactly is it going to be a 4x? No diplomacy, economy, research, etc. I dunno...not expecting much from this.

This comment on RPS kinda says it all :P

QuoteThe 40K version of 4X would be: Xterminate, Xterminate, Xterminate, Xterminate.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MikeGER

...it looks like an visual enhanced Pandora First Contact with a WH40k skin ?

Rayfer

Quote from: MikeGER on November 24, 2017, 10:07:31 AM
...it looks like an visual enhanced Pandora First Contact with a WH40k skin ?

Didn't see that when I first viewed it but I went back and indeed I agree!

Gusington

I am a casual WH40k fan at best but I thought the same thing as JH...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fabius

Not impressed until pointed out that it could be enhanced Pandora First Contact
Now it's let me see more.

MikeGER

Quote from: fabius on November 24, 2017, 05:41:51 PM
Now it's let me see more.

the developers stream it on Twitch on December 1, 7pm GMT

fabius

Oh yes, it's in the diary.

The announcement trailer made it looked to me like a clicky twitchy RTS, but Slitherine page has it as "Turn Based", which = happy.

jomni

Quote from: fabius on November 25, 2017, 05:39:21 AM
Oh yes, it's in the diary.

The announcement trailer made it looked to me like a clicky twitchy RTS, but Slitherine page has it as "Turn Based", which = happy.

There are subtle hexes if you pay attention.

Cyrano

JH nailed it.

You have one of the richest, if cheesiest, IPs in gaming and you do a one-planet, four faction re-skin?  The idea that a 40k 4x would be set on a single planet is a manifest absurdity that should never have left a design document.

It amazes me that Slitherine can release FoGII, SoW, and even a little gem like Quadriga while at the same time turning out junk like Armageddon and what this, at first blush, seems to be.  We'd have been far better served by a digital implementation of "Forbidden Stars".

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

fabius

Quote from: jomni on November 25, 2017, 07:24:55 AM
There are subtle hexes if you pay attention.
Yeah, oops, but they are kind of drowned out by marketing razzle.

Quote from: Cyrano on November 25, 2017, 11:58:33 AM
JH nailed it.

You have one of the richest, if cheesiest, IPs in gaming and you do a one-planet, four faction re-skin?  The idea that a 40k 4x would be set on a single planet is a manifest absurdity that should never have left a design document.

It amazes me that Slitherine can release FoGII, SoW, and even a little gem like Quadriga while at the same time turning out junk like Armageddon and what this, at first blush, seems to be.  We'd have been far better served by a digital implementation of "Forbidden Stars".

Yes yes, A proper 40K 4x is so wanted. Was hoping TW would go to it sometime after their current fantasy line.
In the meantime, this could be way better than single battle tbs or RTS offerings. An intermediary that could again help raise the profit viability.

Don't mention Forbidden Stars, so tragic there are no expansions...

Tpek

Why is it that 90% of the games these days that use the WH40K IP are either crappy mobile cash-fests or reskins of existing games?

Arctic Blast

^^Because those sell. We the general gaming public don't exactly push for new product when we scoop up those reskins and cash-fests.

HoodedHorseJoe

Well Pandora was Civilization on an alien planet before Civilization itself did that with Beyond Earth, and that's just the one planet. It's probably better to think of this like a "Civilisation" game than a 4X, even though on paper those are technically the same thing (but not really).

I had a thought that Warlock: Masters of the Arcane and Warlock 2: The Exiled might have some lessons to impart for this - more PvE focused and less concerned with building a civilization, which Gladius wouldn't be too concerned about either.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.