No Reteat Series

Started by Bison, May 28, 2017, 10:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Anyone play this solo?  I'm very interested in the series.  Relatively simple rule set (I've read the living rules), few counters, and a nice variety of theaters.

My concern is the functionalty of the cards and hidden information during solo play.

bob48

I did have the North Africa game, (which has a Crete 'sub-game') and very much liked the look of the Italy / Sicily one.

First off, the components are first class and cannot be faulted. However, I did find the rules, although not all that difficult, to be hard going and not very intuitive. The use of cards in the game I think make it quite hard to play it solo.

I also found that, in practise, the way the game uses only a part of the map ultimately put me off - but I stress, that's just me and obviously not an issue for many other people. In all honesty, I wish I could have liked the game system more than I did. It has a lot of interesting innovations, and I really wanted a decent game on the North African campaign and the Italian campaign.

I may pick this up if/when it gets published though. http://www.gmtgames.com/p-509-the-dark-sands.aspx

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Ubercat

I have the North African and Russian Front games. A few years ago I studied the hell out of the NA rules and got close enough to competence to actually start the first scenario but was turned off by the many special rules covering the theater. I got distracted by other games and didn't get farther than a few turns before dropping it.

I bought the more recent reprint of the Russian game when it came out and had a far easier time picking up the rules. I played out a couple turns of the campaign before, once again, getting distracted by other games. I think it's a good system, but there's never enough time to play every game you want.  :'(

Hell, at this point I've spent better than $500 and countless hours clipping ASLSK and ASL counters and STILL haven't given ASL the time required to be more than a neophyte player!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Rekim

This snippet is from the first page of The Russian Front rulebook;

The five counters on the next-to-last row of round game
pieces are used in the Solitaire Module published in issue
#26 of C3i Magazine, also available on this game's topic page
on www.gmtgames.com.

The solitaire module mentioned above is an AI system for TRF. Playing with the solitaire module it isn't strictly a matter of best-effort with playing both sides. I gave it a quick try once but not enough to get a good impression. 2 player games were a blast. 

GJK

Quote from: Ubercat on May 28, 2017, 07:18:58 PM
Hell, at this point I've spent better than $500 and countless hours clipping ASLSK and ASL counters and STILL haven't given ASL the time required to be more than a neophyte player!

You should come to the tournament next month - you'll get in plenty of games.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer