Main Menu

VR?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 05, 2016, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 20, 2017, 10:03:46 AM
I have a gear VR. So have played with VR to that extent. One thing really noticeable on that is the screen door effect.
If you had used Gear VR - what kind of order of magnitude are we talking here in difference of experience on either system ?

No comparison whatsoever. The displays on the vive and rift are two OLED panels with a combined 2,160 x 1,200 resolution. As a result, each eye gets its own 1,080 x 1,200 resolution display. With a 90Hz refresh rate on both headsets and asynchronous spacewarp for 90 fps VR, this means there are 233 million pixels flying at your face every second, making for a grown-up VR experience versus the 60Hz Samsung Gear VR.

HTC Vive and Oculus Rift also have a wider 110-degree field of view (measured diagonally). This causes the virtual reality world to feel as if it truly wraps around your head. Not so with the Gear.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2017, 10:08:33 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 20, 2017, 10:03:46 AM
I have a gear VR. So have played with VR to that extent. One thing really noticeable on that is the screen door effect.
If you had used Gear VR - what kind of order of magnitude are we talking here in difference of experience on either system ?

No comparison whatsoever. The displays on the vive and rift are two OLED panels with a combined 2,160 x 1,200 resolution. As a result, each eye gets its own 1,080 x 1,200 resolution display. With a 90Hz refresh rate on both headsets and asynchronous spacewarp for 90 fps VR, this means there are 233 million pixels flying at your face every second, making for a grown-up VR experience versus the 60Hz Samsung Gear VR.

HTC Vive and Oculus Rift also have a wider 110-degree field of view (measured diagonally). This causes the virtual reality world to feel as if it truly wraps around your head. Not so with the Gear.

Thanks JH very clear and useful   ... oh dear - the rift is now in my basket. Have checked and PC is up to spec... Have the money in my loose change jar ... Now all I lack is cover story for the wife ........ dropped it down the toilet ...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

^Seriously...do it. You will not regret it, and it is definitely worth the few nights you may spend sleeping on the couch. lol
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I second that!  :notworthy:  ;D

Pro Tip for Rift: Plug each sensor into a USB3.0 port with its own controller pipeline; e.g. one in a quality PCIe USB3 expansion controller card and the other in your mainboard.
The sensors require a high amount of bandwidth and this way you prevent bandwidth bottleneck problems and assure maximum performance and no chance for judder caused by bandwidth problems.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Holy meatballs! I checked out Onward with a friend today!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/Onward/

This is counter strike 3.0. Don't let the simplistic graphics fool you from screenshots. Indeed, the game is still early access and it shows, but man, whats in already is a superb experience!

Interacting with the weapons, unloading a magazine and reloading a new one, talking into the team radio, taking your PDA from your back, cooking grenades and throwing them are all actual physical actions!
Locomotion is well done, though it does give me motion sickness when I get too active. But then again I am a noob VR player.

Look at these videos to see whats possible;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTfAwLbIkQc&t=325s

https://youtu.be/Ez-p6vNXapg

Definately one of the coolest multiplayer experiences I have had so far.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 21, 2017, 10:16:14 AM

This is counter strike 3.0. Don't let the simplistic graphics fool you from screenshots. Indeed, the game is still early access and it shows, but man, whats in already is a superb experience!

Interacting with the weapons, unloading a magazine and reloading a new one, talking into the team radio, taking your PDA from your back, cooking grenades and throwing them are all actual physical actions!
Locomotion is well done, though it does give me motion sickness when I get too active. But then again I am a noob VR player.

Check out page 3 of this thread. Stop trying to ride on my coattails. Onward is the game that got me to buy into VR in the first place.  It is the future of virtual training and virtual FPS gaming.

You may also wish to check out Pavlov VR. Its less authentic and more Counterstrike. I figured I'd mention it now so you don't have to rehash its discovery 7 pages from now.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Somebody got grumpy while changing his tampon. We'll talk more when your period is over.  :knuppel2:

;D

mirth

The Virtual Cat Fight is awesome!   :bd:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on July 21, 2017, 03:19:19 PM
The Virtual Cat Fight is awesome!   :bd:

That's the beauty of VR. You can settle scores at 10 paces, but nobody has to die.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

The beauty and the letdown
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Let me know when Virtual Female Mud Wrestling is available.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on July 21, 2017, 03:42:14 PM
Let me know when Virtual Female Mud Wrestling is available.

Won't be long...they already have a virtual house party.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

vyshka

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 21, 2017, 10:16:14 AM

How is movement handled? With one of the touch thumbsticks? The videos I've seen make it look like it could turn into something really good.

So far I've spent my time in Elite:Dangerous VR, which worth the price of the oculus itself, and played a bit of Robo-recall. I've also been playing around with Google Earth which is pretty cool, and some of the art programs such as Medium, Quill, and Tilt Brush.
What I think could be cool would be if someone could take google earth vr and use it for virtual staff rides.

Jarhead0331

Movement in onward is handled with the touchpad of your non-dominant hand.  Obviously, you can move and turn in your play space too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog